Messaging apps

Gozit

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I am looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy s5 in short time and have a question - does the default messaging app or hangouts (or both!) have this messaging feature where by when you go and click the camera button, a mini gallery comes up for you to choose the photo you want?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408985181.760169.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly like that, but yeah, something similar. Pretty much any app that doesn't call SPECIFICALLY for the Camera will prompt you, first, for the source of the image. If you select Camera, it'll take you to the camera. If you select Gallery, it'll take you to the equivalent of iPhone's Camera Roll. There, you will see a thumbnail (quite large, actually) list of your saved images for you to select.

And to 1-up (or 5-up) iPhone's menu, you can also select other sources for your images, like Dropbox or Google Drive, even specific apps like SketchBook or PhotoShop.

Gozit

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Thats what I had thought, but my iPhone runs iOS 8 beta and that gallery in my screenshot is sort of like FB messenger wherein you press the insert picture button and a gallery instantly comes up where you can slide left and right and choose your photo quickly and send it.

Definitely isn't a dealbreaker for me i'm just curious :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Thats what I had thought, but my iPhone runs iOS 8 beta and that gallery in my screenshot is sort of like FB messenger wherein you press the insert picture button and a gallery instantly comes up where you can slide left and right and choose your photo quickly and send it.

Definitely isn't a dealbreaker for me i'm just curious :)
Is your concern that you want to be able to slide across the images (as shown) as opposed to searching for the image in the gallery? There are a number of camera replacements that may present the information differently. Perhaps there's something that would better suit your preference (one of the good things with Android).

Are you considering a switch to Android from iOS? If so, which device?

Gozit

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Is your concern that you want to be able to slide across the images (as shown) as opposed to searching for the image in the gallery? There are a number of camera replacements that may present the information differently. Perhaps there's something that would better suit your preference (one of the good things with Android).

Yes, thats precisely it, except i'd like to do so from my SMS/Texting app when selecting a picture to send via MMS, particularly useful when sending a screenshot that you just took. so i'm not sure if that would be a feature in an SMS app or a different camera app. But like you said thats the beauty of android, I should probably be able to find a suitable alternative

Are you considering a switch to Android from iOS? If so, which device?

Yes. I've got the iPhone 5s at the moment and am thinking of getting the Samsung S5 soon. Just waiting to see what the iPhone 6 is like before I decide.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I've got the iPhone 5s at the moment and am thinking of getting the Samsung S5 soon. Just waiting to see what the iPhone 6 is like before I decide.
Awesome! The S5 is a good device, and I'm sure the iPhone 6 will be equally impressive. You can't go wrong (well you can, but not really :p) with either device. Let us know what you decide on going with, even if it's an iPhone.

Gozit

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Awesome! The S5 is a good device, and I'm sure the iPhone 6 will be equally impressive. You can't go wrong (well you can, but not really :p) with either device. Let us know what you decide on going with, even if it's an iPhone.

Right will do! I'm sure if its the S5 i'll be on with more questions :p

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I get what you want. You just want the quick preview pane, right? Unfortunately no messaging app (that I know of) skips the image source prompt. BUT, if you say that Facebook's messenger app can do it, then you could use that as an SMS/MMS default client as well. Nevermind, I just checked. For some reason they removed that option and I can't seem to find it again, but I do remember that once upon a time, you could set Messenger as a default client for messages.

Gozit

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I get what you want. You just want the quick preview pane, right? Unfortunately no messaging app (that I know of) skips the image source prompt. BUT, if you say that Facebook's messenger app can do it, then you could use that as an SMS/MMS default client as well. Nevermind, I just checked. For some reason they removed that option and I can't seem to find it again, but I do remember that once upon a time, you could set Messenger as a default client for messages.

Ah. I see. Thanks anyway :)

Yes its the quick preview pane I want...

Although for android, at least when I was testing the S5 in store, when you take a screenshot, doesn't it say "Copied to clipboard"? And then from there you can just hit paste into a text?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's for the editing purposes and it's not really Android, it's how it's implemented in Sammy devices. But yeah, if something is copied to clipboard, the Messaging app supports pasting the image right away, just tap and hold the text input area, select PASTE, and that's it. Your image is pasted.
Not all apps let you copy images to clipboard, though.

Gozit

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
That's for the editing purposes and it's not really Android, it's how it's implemented in Sammy devices. But yeah, if something is copied to clipboard, the Messaging app supports pasting the image right away, just tap and hold the text input area, select PASTE, and that's it. Your image is pasted.
Not all apps let you copy images to clipboard, though.

Awesome. Right. Thats that problem solved :D
Editing purposes?

Oh, and do you know if Hangouts supports pasting image straight away? I was planning on using hangouts as my SMS application.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the S5 gives you the option to edit the screenshot right after it's been taken (I believe, I don't own one but this was a feature on the S4 and on the Note 3, so I don't see why it shouldn't be on the S5).

Unfortunately, I just tested this with Hangouts and the PASTE option doesn't appear. Selecting the option to add attachments doesn't let you import from clipboard, either. Interestingly, if you have an external keyboard available, the CTRL+V shortcut does work, but pastes the last text snippet available, not the image (yes, you can have multiple items in your clipboard, S-Note is one of the apps that can take advantage of this).

Gozit

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the S5 gives you the option to edit the screenshot right after it's been taken (I believe, I don't own one but this was a feature on the S4 and on the Note 3, so I don't see why it shouldn't be on the S5).

Unfortunately, I just tested this with Hangouts and the PASTE option doesn't appear. Selecting the option to add attachments doesn't let you import from clipboard, either. Interestingly, if you have an external keyboard available, the CTRL+V shortcut does work, but pastes the last text snippet available, not the image (yes, you can have multiple items in your clipboard, S-Note is one of the apps that can take advantage of this).

:( No problem then I guess. I'll just stick with stock for the first bit, maybe mess about with a few other ones as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21