Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By Gozit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Messaging apps

Hi all. I am looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy s5 in short time and have a question - does the default messaging app or hangouts (or both!) have this messaging feature where by when you go and click the camera button, a mini gallery comes up for you to choose the photo you want?Messaging apps-imageuploadedbytapatalk1408985181.760169.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Default Re: Messaging apps

Not exactly like that, but yeah, something similar. Pretty much any app that doesn't call SPECIFICALLY for the Camera will prompt you, first, for the source of the image. If you select Camera, it'll take you to the camera. If you select Gallery, it'll take you to the equivalent of iPhone's Camera Roll. There, you will see a thumbnail (quite large, actually) list of your saved images for you to select.

And to 1-up (or 5-up) iPhone's menu, you can also select other sources for your images, like Dropbox or Google Drive, even specific apps like SketchBook or PhotoShop.
    srkmagnus likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks. Thats what I had thought, but my iPhone runs iOS 8 beta and that gallery in my screenshot is sort of like FB messenger wherein you press the insert picture button and a gallery instantly comes up where you can slide left and right and choose your photo quickly and send it.

Definitely isn't a dealbreaker for me i'm just curious

Global Posts
    9,143 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
    Thanks. Thats what I had thought, but my iPhone runs iOS 8 beta and that gallery in my screenshot is sort of like FB messenger wherein you press the insert picture button and a gallery instantly comes up where you can slide left and right and choose your photo quickly and send it.

Definitely isn't a dealbreaker for me i'm just curious
    Is your concern that you want to be able to slide across the images (as shown) as opposed to searching for the image in the gallery? There are a number of camera replacements that may present the information differently. Perhaps there's something that would better suit your preference (one of the good things with Android).

Are you considering a switch to Android from iOS? If so, which device?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Is your concern that you want to be able to slide across the images (as shown) as opposed to searching for the image in the gallery? There are a number of camera replacements that may present the information differently. Perhaps there's something that would better suit your preference (one of the good things with Android).
    Yes, thats precisely it, except i'd like to do so from my SMS/Texting app when selecting a picture to send via MMS, particularly useful when sending a screenshot that you just took. so i'm not sure if that would be a feature in an SMS app or a different camera app. But like you said thats the beauty of android, I should probably be able to find a suitable alternative

Are you considering a switch to Android from iOS? If so, which device?
    Yes. I've got the iPhone 5s at the moment and am thinking of getting the Samsung S5 soon. Just waiting to see what the iPhone 6 is like before I decide.
    SpookDroid likes this.

Global Posts
    9,143 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
    Yes. I've got the iPhone 5s at the moment and am thinking of getting the Samsung S5 soon. Just waiting to see what the iPhone 6 is like before I decide.
    Awesome! The S5 is a good device, and I'm sure the iPhone 6 will be equally impressive. You can't go wrong (well you can, but not really :P) with either device. Let us know what you decide on going with, even if it's an iPhone.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Awesome! The S5 is a good device, and I'm sure the iPhone 6 will be equally impressive. You can't go wrong (well you can, but not really :P) with either device. Let us know what you decide on going with, even if it's an iPhone.
    Right will do! I'm sure if its the S5 i'll be on with more questions :P

Yeah, I get what you want. You just want the quick preview pane, right? Unfortunately no messaging app (that I know of) skips the image source prompt. BUT, if you say that Facebook's messenger app can do it, then you could use that as an SMS/MMS default client as well. Nevermind, I just checked. For some reason they removed that option and I can't seem to find it again, but I do remember that once upon a time, you could set Messenger as a default client for messages.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Yeah, I get what you want. You just want the quick preview pane, right? Unfortunately no messaging app (that I know of) skips the image source prompt. BUT, if you say that Facebook's messenger app can do it, then you could use that as an SMS/MMS default client as well. Nevermind, I just checked. For some reason they removed that option and I can't seem to find it again, but I do remember that once upon a time, you could set Messenger as a default client for messages.
    Ah. I see. Thanks anyway

Yes its the quick preview pane I want...

Although for android, at least when I was testing the S5 in store, when you take a screenshot, doesn't it say "Copied to clipboard"? And then from there you can just hit paste into a text?

That's for the editing purposes and it's not really Android, it's how it's implemented in Sammy devices. But yeah, if something is copied to clipboard, the Messaging app supports pasting the image right away, just tap and hold the text input area, select PASTE, and that's it. Your image is pasted.
    Not all apps let you copy images to clipboard, though.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

That's for the editing purposes and it's not really Android, it's how it's implemented in Sammy devices. But yeah, if something is copied to clipboard, the Messaging app supports pasting the image right away, just tap and hold the text input area, select PASTE, and that's it. Your image is pasted.
    Not all apps let you copy images to clipboard, though.
    Awesome. Right. Thats that problem solved
    Editing purposes?

Oh, and do you know if Hangouts supports pasting image straight away? I was planning on using hangouts as my SMS application.

Yeah, the S5 gives you the option to edit the screenshot right after it's been taken (I believe, I don't own one but this was a feature on the S4 and on the Note 3, so I don't see why it shouldn't be on the S5).

Unfortunately, I just tested this with Hangouts and the PASTE option doesn't appear. Selecting the option to add attachments doesn't let you import from clipboard, either. Interestingly, if you have an external keyboard available, the CTRL+V shortcut does work, but pastes the last text snippet available, not the image (yes, you can have multiple items in your clipboard, S-Note is one of the apps that can take advantage of this).
    Thanked by:
    Gozit 
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Yeah, the S5 gives you the option to edit the screenshot right after it's been taken (I believe, I don't own one but this was a feature on the S4 and on the Note 3, so I don't see why it shouldn't be on the S5).

Unfortunately, I just tested this with Hangouts and the PASTE option doesn't appear. Selecting the option to add attachments doesn't let you import from clipboard, either. Interestingly, if you have an external keyboard available, the CTRL+V shortcut does work, but pastes the last text snippet available, not the image (yes, you can have multiple items in your clipboard, S-Note is one of the apps that can take advantage of this).
    No problem then I guess. I'll just stick with stock for the first bit, maybe mess about with a few other ones as well.