Bye bye iPhone

UKgalaxy

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and thought I would share my recent android experience with you all. There's a lot of info on the site so I'm hoping to make great use of it in the future!

Well after much debating as to whether to jump ship from iOS to android I finally took the plunge yesterday and ditched my iPhone 5 and bought a galaxy S5. After being on iOS for some 4 years I was starting to get bored of the whole experience and just fancied a change I guess.

My main concern over the change were the hassle of transferring all data etc and how I would get along with android in general. Well I didn't need to worry, Samsung has an app that transferred over all data from my iPhone including contacts, music, pictures, call logs, memos etc seamlessly.

I know it's very early days yet but I think I'm going to like it. I must admit the whole layout of home screens and widgets is quite different and will take some getting used to but I'm going to give it time and be patient!

So far here are my thoughts,

Apps - apart from minor tweaks in layout they generally work the same as on my iPhone. However,one bonus seems to be that all the apps I paid for on iOS have so far been free on android!
Phone itself - simply not the same premium build as the iPhone end of. But neither is it bad, the larger 5.1 inch screen is great and the display appears to be much better than my iPhone. The removable SD card is great, I upgraded 16gb of memory for £10, something which would have cost upwards of £60+ with apple.

Kit kat OS - very early days. Seems sharp so far with no lags. I can't believe how customisable this phone is. After years of being locked into apple and basically them dictating what you can and can't do its a welcome change. You can literally just get lost in the whole OS with the settings because there's so much you can do.

Camera - not had a real chance to test this out but the pictures taken so far are very good, a noticeable improvement on my iPhone and the actual settings and options make it more like a traditional compact camera.

Fingerprint scanner - disppointing. Hardly ever recognises my print and ended up just disabling it.

So there are my brief thoughts. I know the iPhone 6 is just weeks away but the dire battery life on my iPhone 5 just finally broke me and I wanted to test the water with android. I'm not saying that I will never go back to apple because who knows I may get bored of android but I just get the feeling that apart from a slightly bigger screen and some minor tweaks with iOS it will be much of the same and I hope to be proved wrong.

ashleymcguffries90

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I recently switched over from an iPhone 5s. I kept having issues with it and At&t told me I would have to take it to an apple store, which was 3 hours away, for them to fix the issue & I only had the phone for a few days. I have enjoyed everything about my S5. I enjoy the customization, different apps, expandable memory, etc.,

TexasS5

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the site, I recently switched from an iPhone 5 as well, don't miss it a bit!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and thought I would share my recent android experience with you all. There's a lot of info on the site so I'm hoping to make great use of it in the future!

Well after much debating as to whether to jump ship from iOS to android I finally took the plunge yesterday and ditched my iPhone 5 and bought a galaxy S5. After being on iOS for some 4 years I was starting to get bored of the whole experience and just fancied a change I guess.

My main concern over the change were the hassle of transferring all data etc and how I would get along with android in general. Well I didn't need to worry, Samsung has an app that transferred over all data from my iPhone including contacts, music, pictures, call logs, memos etc seamlessly.

I know it's very early days yet but I think I'm going to like it. I must admit the whole layout of home screens and widgets is quite different and will take some getting used to but I'm going to give it time and be patient!

So far here are my thoughts,

Apps - apart from minor tweaks in layout they generally work the same as on my iPhone. However,one bonus seems to be that all the apps I paid for on iOS have so far been free on android!
Phone itself - simply not the same premium build as the iPhone end of. But neither is it bad, the larger 5.1 inch screen is great and the display appears to be much better than my iPhone. The removable SD card is great, I upgraded 16gb of memory for £10, something which would have cost upwards of £60+ with apple.

Kit kat OS - very early days. Seems sharp so far with no lags. I can't believe how customisable this phone is. After years of being locked into apple and basically them dictating what you can and can't do its a welcome change. You can literally just get lost in the whole OS with the settings because there's so much you can do.

Camera - not had a real chance to test this out but the pictures taken so far are very good, a noticeable improvement on my iPhone and the actual settings and options make it more like a traditional compact camera.

Fingerprint scanner - disppointing. Hardly ever recognises my print and ended up just disabling it.

So there are my brief thoughts. I know the iPhone 6 is just weeks away but the dire battery life on my iPhone 5 just finally broke me and I wanted to test the water with android. I'm not saying that I will never go back to apple because who knows I may get bored of android but I just get the feeling that apart from a slightly bigger screen and some minor tweaks with iOS it will be much of the same and I hope to be proved wrong.

Welcome to the forums.
Along with B. Diddy's link, here are a few more:

How Android manages RAM: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/380592-guide-ram-android.html

In case you get stuck with something: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...4470-guide-miscellaneous-troubleshooting.html

Here is the general library of most of the Ambassador guides: Ambassador Guides, Tips & How-To's - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Last edited:

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
The fingerprint scanner actually works quite well. Just be sure to use all three slots to scan the same finger at slightly different angles. At this point it will recognize your fingerprint swipe virtually 80% to 90% of time.

TxDaydreamer1

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android and the forums! Try downloading some launchers, Nova and Go Launcher are a couple of good ones that allow awesome customizations :) Have fun with your new toy!

Sent from my Holy crap this is awesome S5 :-D

mklasse

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

I have switched from iOS for a while now, iPhone 4 was my last iPhone. I am still using iOS on iPad though, mainly just for browsing the internet, music, and watch youtube before bed, so I don't really mind the iOS restrictions that much.

I just want to add for fingerprint issues, it doesn't have to be perfectly straight on, like some reviewers on youtube have said. I registered my fingerprint on various angles that would allow me to unlock the phone with one hand. It recognized my prints 99% of the time, the other 1% is the "Swipe entire pad" message, but never get the "no match" message.

That said, enjoy your S5 and Android!

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I switched 3 weeks ago after having every iPhone from original to 5s. I actually find the fingerprint scanner good mainly use my right thumb so registered that twice and my index finger once (in case I have a cut on my thumb ever etc.).

I am using nova launcher and blawb icons and love the way I can customise this thing. Also for £20 I pocked up a 64gb samsung sd card.

Posted via the Android Central App

Miss Galaxy

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the other side O:)

I also changed from years of iPhone to android and I am never going back unless the iPhone is somehow developed to produce £50 notes on command. I love how customisable everything is without having to root (jail break on iphone). I have the Note 3 now (coming from a galaxy 5 just last week) and the screen is so much bigger than the iphone. Can't ever imagine going back. Apple is just so up themselves telling us how to run the iPhone. NO freedom.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android!

I also have the GS5, is a great phone.
I only had one instance where the scanner didn't recognize my fingerprint but that's it.
I know many people do have problems with it though.

Anyway, enjoy the forums and the phone!

Bruno28

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
i said bye to iPhone too. Only because the GS5 was at a cheap price. I like how there are sooooo many options for everything. I miss iPhone, but this phone is better :p

UKgalaxy

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info and welcome. It's certainly very refreshing to have the full freedom of your phone, something which I never had on iOS. I was tempted to wait out for the iPhone 6 but figured it's updates wouldn't be anything to radical and to be honest apple have been playing catch up for a while now. They seem really slow to integrate common features onto their phones despite being available on other brands for some time. Apple ownership sometimes feels like a dictatorship!

One thing that I have noticed on my new S5 is that it seems to be running on the HSDPA network at home where my iPhone was running on a 3g signal comfortably. Is this likely to be a network issue or a phone issue?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I recently switched over from an iPhone 5s. I kept having issues with it and At&t told me I would have to take it to an apple store, which was 3 hours away, for them to fix the issue & I only had the phone for a few days. I have enjoyed everything about my S5. I enjoy the customization, different apps, expandable memory, etc.,

What Issues? Also, if you have your phone just for days, if it's less than 14 days, just go to your nearest store and ask for a replacement, no need to waste time repairing.

mklasse

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
What Issues? Also, if you have your phone just for days, if it's less than 14 days, just go to your nearest store and ask for a replacement, no need to waste time repairing.

I think she meant her iPhone 5S that kept having issues.. correct me if i'm wrong :)

gsxr800

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I am currently an iphone 5 user but am really tempted to try the s5 and have been on this forum reading just about everything I can to familiarize myself with this phone and os. I'm leaning towards the active model but not sure if I should go S5 with bumper case. If I took the route of the active I would not put a case on it. What are your thoughts? I really hate cases and generally love the feeling of a phone without one. The active does not feel as slippery as the S5 which is a plus. Hearing about the fingerprint scanner not being 100% I really would not miss much going with the active model unless there are other substantial negatives I'm unaware of. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.