Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5 Fingerprint - Alternate Password Help

Hi all!
    A few weeks ago I tried setting up the finger print scanner on my Galaxy S5 but my otterbox prevented the scanner from working properly.

Now I have removed the otterbox and want to utilize the fingerprint scanner, but I am unable to access the fingerprint menu because it has 3 unusable prints registered and I forgot my alternate password. Is there a way to reset the registered fingerprints or alternate password without resetting the whole phone?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Galaxy S5 Fingerprint - Alternate Password Help

Go here and use your Google ID and Password to reset your s5 access information:

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?elo=1

If your phone is ever stolen, you can trace it, delete everything on it or permanently lock it there as well.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't see anything about resetting my S5 access information on the link you provided

They changed the link. Its now here:

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Make sure the phone is outdoors when contacting it. It could take 2 or 3 attempts indoors. Turn WiFi off on the s5, if indoors, for better connections.

Also, the ability to change the s5 access is under the Lock and Erase Menu, I believe. I've never tried it however. You may want to call your Tech Support when doing this.

Here is what I found on the web:

"Selecting Setup Lock and Erase will return a dialog box telling you that you need to send the device a notification. Tap Send and you’ll see a message appear in your notification bar for Android Device Manager, tap this. You’ll now be taken to the settings for the app, where a pop up box will ask if you want to activate the device administrator? Agree to this and your device will now have access to all the security features."

The security features are:

1. Erase all data.
    2. Change the screen / unlock password.
    3. Lock the screen.

Use option 2 and you should be good to go.

By the way, from that site you can make the phone ring for 5 minutes at its highest level to find it if you lost it. It shows the exact address where it is located.

You can also lock it and / or erase all data if it was stolen.

Good luck. Post back how it worked.
    Last edited by sirmaru; 08-26-2014 at 03:31 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

There are separate buttons for 'Lock' and 'Erase'. The 'Lock' button allows me to lock my phone with a password I choose at my computer. The 'Erase' button performs a factory reset on my device, permanently removing all of my apps, photos, music, and settings. This just isn't worth it.

Thank you for the continued help, is there anything else I might try?

Quote Originally Posted by Android_Swag View Post
    There are separate buttons for 'Lock' and 'Erase'. The 'Lock' button allows me to lock my phone with a password I choose at my computer. The 'Erase' button performs a factory reset on my device, permanently removing all of my apps, photos, music, and settings. This just isn't worth it.

Thank you for the continued help, is there anything else I might try?
    They must have changed the process again. If you tap the "Lock" button and enter a new password, then you will be able to access the s5 with that new password. I just went to that site and find two menu choices: Ring and Enable Lock & Erase.

If you click Enable Lock & Erase, you should receive an option to go to Security Settings on your phone. If you get there, you should see a menu with 3 options as I posted above.

If there are only 2 options, then the Lock and Erase options should be separate. Is that how it appears?

Make sure that WiFi is turned off if you are indoors. It may not work correctly with WiFi on.

On the phone, itself, go to Settings / System / Security. Under "Find My Mobile," make sure that Remote Controls are turned On.

If not sure, call your Carrier Tech Support to help you through the process.

If you figure it out, please post here how it worked.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Galaxy S5 Fingerprint - Alternate Password Help-s5.jpg

The link gives me these three options. The only one that would work is 'Erase', but as I said before this option wipes my entire phone.

I will contact Tech Support and post if they can resolve my issue
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Android_Swag View Post
    Hi all!
    A few weeks ago I tried setting up the finger print scanner on my Galaxy S5 but my otterbox prevented the scanner from working properly.

Now I have removed the otterbox and want to utilize the fingerprint scanner, but I am unable to access the fingerprint menu because it has 3 unusable prints registered and I forgot my alternate password. Is there a way to reset the registered fingerprints or alternate password without resetting the whole phone?

Thanks for the help!
    I may have misunderstood your original question. Try this instead:

To get rid of registered fingerprints: Go to Settings / Quick Settings / Finger Scanner / Fingerprint Manager. Then go to Menu in the upper right and click, Deregister. Then tap the selected finger print and then tap the delete icon in the upper right.

You can also change the Alternate Password in the Finger Scanner Menu.

I wouldn't recommend using any fingerprints. Over time dust and oils settle on the screen and the fingerprints may not be recognizable. Its better to use a PIN number. It never fades over time.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I apologize if I was unclear, I DO have full access to my phone because I set the lock screen to a PIN that I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    To get rid of registered fingerprints: Go to Settings / Quick Settings / Finger Scanner / Fingerprint Manager.
    Upon selecting 'Fingerprint Manager' I am asked for either a fingerprint scan to match one of three unusable prints I registered previously where my otterbox impeded the scanner OR the alternate password I set weeks ago and do not remember. So I cannot access the Fingerprint Manager.