1 month review of the S5 from an Apple guy......

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
This is going to be a long read. Buckle up.....

First off, this is not an Android vs Apple thread. I am not an iSheep. I purchase the best product for MY needs. I could care less who makes it. I have an HP computer, not a MAC. I have an Apple router, not a Cisco. I have a Roku box, not an Apple TV. I have iPads and Ipods, mostly because my cars are compatible with them. If I was an iSheep, why would I jump ship to an Android? This thread is just my honest opinion on the S5. I was getting very sick of my iPhone 5's battery and tiny screen. Yes, my phone was jailbroken. I write code for machinery in a factory, so jailbreaking is simple for me. Rooting would be as well, but I don't see the need. So look at these comparisons from a jailbroken iPhone perspective.

I also want to point out that my group of friends are pretty evenly split between Apple and Android. So all of my complaints have been verified with my Android friends, as well as searching this forum, not to be user error.

Anyway,

The first S5 I received from Samsung was defective. Strike one. Not a very good first impression, I had to send it back. The 2nd one is fine, apparently. The trim of the phone (materials) is a non issue for me. I put my phones in cases so basically only the screen is exposed. Aluminum vs plastic, don't care..... Memory? S5 hands down. Well done Samsung. Battery? S5 hands down. BUT, it does not make sense to me that I have to turn off all of these "features" to get good battery life. Out of the box, the phone got the same sucky 7 hours of life as my iPhone 5. After researching and tweaking, I was able to get 12 hours. It's just dumb to me that I have to do that. Now, let's talk quickly about the headphone jack. To me, it is a big deal that it is on the top. I use my phone at the gym. It sucks that I have to put it in upside down. To me, Apple has the edge there. Again, remember these are MY OPINIONS. While we are on headphones, I will also give Apple the award for better headphones. The Samsung headphones suck. I am using my Apple headphones because I can't find any that will work with my Android device that are worth a damn. So now I have no volume controls or track controls. Apple wins there. The volume control on the Android is a joke. I have to verify every time that I know I will hurt my hearing if I go past 10? I even turned it off in the settings. It still does it. Dumb.

The screen is just gorgeous compared to the iPhone 5. BLOWS IT OUT OF THE WATER. Both size, color, and clarity.

Now let's go on to software. First off, for those who want to argue about jailbreaking and android, just forget it. This guy doesn't want to hear it. Consider your S5 jailbroken from the manufacturer. They don't care that Verizon puts all of their bloatware on their phones, or that 1 million developers make apps to run on it, or change the OS code. Meanwhile, Apple does care, so in order to do what we want, you have to jailbreak an iPhone. There is very little difference except the jailbreak uses the back door while Android developers use the front door. But that is a whole other thread. My opinion of the software is that it is glitchy, laggy, and not very reliable. The processor in the S5 blows my iPhone 5 out of the water, yet still lags when I use the keyboard on FB messenger and is slow as hell opening up certain apps. Wow. EXTREMELY disappointed. I could write an entire book on the flaws I have found. People will say "you just don't know what you are doing". I will reply with, wrong, I have been researching the issues and have come up with answers like, "oh, yeah, that's just how it is", or "I just don't do that", or "I just turn that feature off". Seriously? The apps are great, well some of them are. Others are just horribly written code. PayPal is one of them. I deleted it from my phone because 4 days after using it, and "closing" it, it was still using 20% of my battery. What do you mean I have to go in to the App manager and force stop it? HUH? Deleted. The Facebook app is horrible on Android compared to Apple. There are a couple of key options missing that would take too long to explain. On the other hand, Widgets are AWESOME. Shame on you Apple, you suck. Weather widget? Yes please. I LOVE weather widgets. Good stuff.

I will go into some examples of things that drive me crazy.....

Lock screen. When I get a message, I have the pop up notification to wake the phone. If it is in my pocket, sometimes it will unlock and **** dial the person who texted me. Solutions I found, "add a pattern to unlock your phone." No thank you. I prefer just a simple swipe, but it seems the swipe is TOO simple so it keeps unlocking my from in my pocket. Other answers "turn off the wake up notifications". Really? My iPhone NEVER **** dialed. EVER. NEVER, EVER. The only option I can find on sensitivity is to make it MORE sensitive so if I am using gloves. Good golly, then it would unlock by just breathing on it. I tried several different lock screen notification apps. All of which suck. None of them worked the way I wanted. AGAIN, THESE ARE MY OPINIONS. Facebook alerts aren't coming through, email previews don't come through, it's a joke. Apple has a WAY better grasp on this aspect.

Another example. The lock button. Why the hell would you put it directly across from the volume rocker? Half the time I end up pressing the up volume and lock button at the same time. I'm not looking, it doesn't lock, I shove it in my pocket, and the phone does all kinds of text messaging, google searching, and **** dialing while it is in my pocket. Dumb. Let's talk about volume again. Why do I have 4 different volume sliders? Ringer, Media, Notifications, and System? Really? Even if you go to vibrate, it doesn't take all 4 DOWN TO vibrate, just 3. It leaves media turned up. So when you THINK you have it "silenced" you really don't. Here I am at the post office, in line, thinking I can just watch a simple video on FB and BAM, the whole place knows I'm watching kittens falling down stairs. So I have to go into the menu and turn down media. DUMB. Apple wins again with a simple switch. Sound, no sound. Thank you.

Resetting the phone. So far, in the last month, I have had to reset the phone 6 times because it would not either receive or send text messages (it has NOTHING to do with iMessage, dead horse there) or it wouldn't send or receive FB messages, or get a 4g signal. I NEVER had to manually reset my iPhone. EVER. NEVER EVER.

Wireless charging? Absolutely. Samsung, you rock. Apple, please try to keep up, this is 2014 after all. That technology has only been around for 15 years now.

Ads. Why the hell do I keep getting notifications of ads trying to sell me stuff. Seriously? Every free app is LOADED with pop up ads.

Camera. I have a love hate relationship with the camera. It takes AMAZING pictures. WAY better than my iPhone 5. BUT, sometimes it takes 3, 4, 5, 6 seconds to take the damn picture. I know, it's focusing. What ever, just take the picture. I also have to complain about sending pictures and video. What a joke. My iPhone was WAY better. It is a dumb process on the S5, if you can even get it to work. Sometimes, if I am in a text message, and want to snap a picture, instead of doing it right from the messaging app, it makes me back out, go to the camera, then back into the messaging app, choose the picture, then send it. Sad.

I could go on and on, but I'll put on my flame suit and wait for the Android hard core folks to start bashing.

In the end, I really do like the phone. It is a wonderful piece of equipment. Will I stay with Android? I am in a Samsung program, so I am contracted to for at least another 4 months. I promised myself I would try to get away from the restrictive Apple phones for at least that long. Give it a sporting chance to get over the initial shock. After one month, I feel I have a pretty good grasp on the phone, but I am sure I still have more to learn. We will see if the larger Apple iPhone 6 is what they say it will be. If it is, I can easily see me going back. Either way, I won't be happy. LOL. Damn you Apple and your small batteries.......

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Always nice to hear pros and cons from both sides.

As of right now, do you think you your next few months with the Samsung will be good?

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Pretty good points had a jail broken iphone as well. But its 4months later and im still learning stuff on the s5 I think youll grow to love it.. going for the note4 next cant wait.. good post

Posted from galaxyS5

Last edited:

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Always nice to hear pros and cons from both sides.

As of right now, do you think you your next few months with the Samsung will be good?

Yes. The more I learn about the phone, the more I like it. There will ALWAYS be things about a phone people hate. iPhones are NOT perfect, despite what the true Apple fanboys say. Sure there are things I DON'T like about the S5, but there is a hell of a lot I DO like.

Pretty good points had a jail broken iphone as well. But its 4months later and im still learning stuff on the g5 I think youll grow to love it.. going for the note4 next cant wait.. good post

Posted from galaxyS5

Agreed. I think I will love it more and more.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear that you're having so many problems with your device.

Can't say I've experienced most of what you describe but it is a shame.

Posted from my S5

Last edited:

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I'm an iPhone user from day one and ready for a change. I almost pulled the trigger on a S5 then decided on a G3 and changed my mind again. Think I'll wait and see what the new Moto X-1 is all about then make a move.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Nova Prime. It is glitch as well. Especially the app badge notifications. If I get an alert on an app, sometime it reads 1, other times it will read 100. Lol. Glitchy.
It's entertaining, isn't it? Sometimes I'll get 999, or 17, or 87, for 1 or 2 messages.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I think most of what you wrote is fair, and I think the most important point is that there is a lot to tweak on the S5 to get the optimal experience (as you mentioned, having to deactivate certain features to get the optimal battery life, etc.) That's why iPhones tend to be better choices for those who want the smoothest experience out of the box.

A few points:
1) To silence everything at once, hold the power button down, which will bring up a "Device Options" window that allows you to turn your whole phone to mute, vibrate, and sound (no individual sliders). I also recommend an app called Shush! that allows you to set a time interval when your phone is on mute or vibrate and turn back the sound automatically.

2) When you say you have to reset the phone, do you mean factory reset? That is a huge hassle, and 6 factory resets I would say is not the most common experience for people who own the phone. One trick that I have found if there is a glitch (for me it was just one and it had to do with the dialpad not working for menu prompts) is to go to the developer options and change your runtime to ART and then back to Dalvik - this reconfigures all your apps, which can solve many problems without having to factory reset.

3) Ads in the notification tray is completely related to the apps you have on your device. To me, that is a terrible experience and I would uninstall any app that has notification ads.

4) The camera has pluses and minuses as you state. The quick settings I have placed on the left are for flash, HDR and video stabilization. I keep my camera in HDR mode for pictures, then turn off HDR and put it in video stabilization mode for videos. It is the image stabilization feature that causes a slow shutter, and I always keep this off. While the image stabilization is intended for low light, in my experience it never yields an actual good picture - I am pretty much always better off using flash and adjusting brightness/contrast/color balance after the fact.

You may be aware of many of these issues already, but these are the few things I have picked up with my 4.5 month experience with the phone that might be useful to you.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Seems like an honest review. There are a lot of things that you are complaining about that I disagree with but I won't bother debating those points as they are opinions/personal preference issues that are pointless to debate.

One thing I will bring up is how you think the Apple headphones being better than the supplied Samsung ones. To each his own, LOL!! I think Apple headphones are the worst. I just throw them away, they are so bad. They just do not stay in my ears. Completely worthless. I don't really like the Samsung ones for working out that much either but I like them much more than the Apple ones. At least the Samsung headphones have different earbuds that you can pop in to help fit your ear better.

I too came from iPhone and there are a few things I like about the iPhone better. I'm the opposite in that I'd rather deal with the (in my experience) few negative aspects with my S5 than the many things that annoy me about the iPhone.

I'm using Nova Prime. It is glitch as well. Especially the app badge notifications. If I get an alert on an app, sometime it reads 1, other times it will read 100. Lol. Glitchy.

That's odd. My app badges work flawlessly. I've never had this issue. I also don't find Nova to be glitchy at all. Springtomize on the iPhone I found to be a total glitch fest and while I liked the functionality of it, I deleted it and found separate tweaks for the desired functions because it kept crashing and making me resrping the thing constantly. LOL, I forgot about respringing until just now. How annoying that was having to respring the damn thing after tweaking things. I've been with Android for almost a year now and I really don't see myself going back to Apple. I am curious to see what the iPhone 6 will bring. Hopefully it is bigger like rumored but I'm not holding my breath that iOS8 will be some huge step in the direction I want.

Random thought, I really like having a dedicated back button on the Android. Now, whenever I use an iPhone, I always get annoyed that I don't have one and have to search for the on screen back button, which is in a different spot, depending on the app.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if you have been really unlucky, I have had every iPhone from day one to the 5s I upgraded every year. I wanted to break that cycle and get a phone with widgets.

So far I love my screen and the way it works, Nova Launcher has been perfect for me, also no resets of the phone needed yet......I have had it 3 weeks so far only.

Volume, I agree with this I really miss that simple slide the switch on the side of my phone and it's off. Apart from that I have not missed my iPhone at all. Now don't get me wrong I may change my tune in a years time and get the iPhone 6s or whatever it will be called if these larger screens and IOS8 is an improvement but currently I can do everything I did on my iPhone on my Galaxy S5.

intrimazz

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi

In terms of the lag you're experiencing, maybe try the following: activate dev options (if you don't already see them) settings>about phone> tap build number 7x - allow dev options - when you go to home screen and go back into your settings you should now see developer options
make a note of how you have your selections in case you dislike the changes - you can always go back and just revert them...

select dev options and scroll down to drawing

window animations = off
transition animation scale = off
animator duration scale = 1x
simulate secondary displays=none

scroll down again til you get to apps

do not keep activities = checked if you prefer not to keep having to force close or stop apps constantly (this may affect auto backups and updates)

limit background processes = your preference here

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't know about Facebook because I don't use it but where are you getting ads from? I can say that I haven't gotten any ads. I do turn off stuff that I don't use abd Google stuff as well.

Posted via Android Central App

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Was a great read, it's like you typed as fast as you thought which is perfect to get the words out correctly.

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
It's been said many times but I will say it again...great review. I too came over from apple. I like the S5 but I must admit, at times it's almost like there are too many choices...if that makes any sense. I was just tired of apple, itunes and lack of memory. I do miss face time and imessage, much easier to simply text a video message to friends and family who don't live close by. I have been trying to read as much as I can on these forums to try and optimize my phone.

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Don't get too excited about IOS8. It's still very much IOS. I'm beta testing it right now and it's not the upgrade that I was expecting. They made some much needed improvements but they are just convenience type things. You still aren't going to change anything and it's still going to be the same ole boring IOS that drove to Android.

Great update. I enjoy reading these iPhone to Android threads. Gives me some insight into what I'm in for :) hurry up Sept. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't get too excited about IOS8. It's still very much IOS. I'm beta testing it right now and it's not the upgrade that I was expecting. They made some much needed improvements but they are just convenience type things. You still aren't going to change anything and it's still going to be the same ole boring IOS that drove to Android.
Lol, I wasn't really expecting iOS8 to be anything special. A bunch of little improvements blah blah. Same old story with Apple. Can't blame them really. Why bother making too many changes when they can just keep stringing people along with marginal updates to their devices and software?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Great read and I really appreciate it a lot.

I have to agree with quite a few of your Android complaints, but I've learned to live with them and tricks for nullifying the effects or totally getting rid of my issues.

I HATE the volume and the Power buttons on the opposite of the phone. That is so totally asinine as to be ridiculous. What stupid imbecile thought of that? I had to install MacroDroid to run a macro that will reset my Phone's Ringer Volume to Max when the screen is locked. I was missing phone calls right and left.

I've never owned an Apple branded phone. I jumped off the Apple band wagon in 1989 when Steve Jobs and company tried to rape me when i wanted to add memory to my Apple II. At that time, I owned a Mac 512, two Apple IIs, two Apple IIGS machines. That is 5 Apple products all running and being used at the same time. I was writing machine language code for them at the time.

Then my wallet got a hole in it from the flames of fire from Steve Jobs & Company.

sold it all never to go back.

so, when it came to phones, Android is the only game in town for me.