Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ABOSWORTH007
  • 1 Post By ABOSWORTH007
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Really want to get the S5 and make the switch from iPhone, but unsure.

So back in 2009 I had the original droid, which I liked until it got super slow and I ended up switching to the iPhone 4s. Well I've been due for an upgrade for a year now and I'm leaning more towards the S5 than iPhone 6.

The things that bug me are:
    • So rooting a verizon galaxy s5 will void my warranty?
    • There is no hope I could ever run stock android on a verizon s5 correct? I hear custom ROMs are rare and are there even stock ones?
    • I guess my biggest issue is that I think touchwiz is super ugly and Android 5.0 looks like it would be great, just I'm unsure if I'd ever get to experience it.

Default Re: Really want to get the S5 and make the switch from iPhone, but unsure.

Well, Samsung Galaxy S5 is an excellent device. But if your biggest issue is the ugliness of Touchwiz then you must look for a Google Nexus device. The Nexus will receive the Android 5.0 upgrade via OTA before any other Android device. So if you are in a rush go for Nexus 5, my current phone. If you are not in a rush just wait for the release, in the next months, of Nexus 6 .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Really want to get the S5 and make the switch from iPhone, but unsure.

If you don't like TouchWiz, there are scores of other launchers you can use in the play store. No root is required to utilize different launchers. I have been using Nova since I first got an Android device about a year ago and it blows TouchWiz out of the water. I've also used Apex and it is very similar to Nova. Not sure if you ever jailbroke your iPhone but Nova and Apex are basically like the tweak Springtomize.
    Thanked by:
    Resendetra likes this.

OP can't get a nexus on Verizon.

OP, as another poster mentioned you can replace the launcher and from there touchwiz is pretty much hidden. Adding a new launcher won't remove the crap ware you don't won't but it's a trade off you'll have with Android unless you switch carriers to get a nexus or root which will void a warranty to my knowledge.

I love my S5 and haven't had a problem with it. You could always buy it and return it if you have second thoughts.

Posted via Android Central App
    iPhone 6+ & Galaxy Note 4 user. Google Glass Explorer.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

I switched from iPhone to the S5 last week and am really happy with my decision so far. As the previous poster stated, you can't really go wrong if you buy the S5 since you can return it if you do not like it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by emilioaponte View Post
    Well, Samsung Galaxy S5 is an excellent device. But if your biggest issue is the ugliness of Touchwiz then you must look for a Google Nexus device. The Nexus will receive the Android 5.0 upgrade via OTA before any other Android device. So if you are in a rush go for Nexus 5, my current phone. If you are not in a rush just wait for the release, in the next months, of Nexus 6 .

Sadly I'm on verizon and I can't even remember the last time they got a stock android phone. Galaxy Nexus maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Hawk View Post
    Sadly I'm on verizon and I can't even remember the last time they got a stock android phone. Galaxy Nexus maybe?
    Sorry Sir. I bought my Nexus 5 at Amazon and my carrier is AT&T. As I said before, Samsung Galaxy S5 is an excellent device. Regarding Nova Launcher, I always use Holo Launcher HD or Nova Launcher Prime . If finally your decision is Samsung Galaxy S5 my recommendation for you is Nova Launcher Prime version.

Global Posts
    8,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Hawk View Post
    The Moto devices (Moto X, Razr line) on Verizon are as closed to stock as your are going to get. Prior to that, yes, the Galaxy Nexus was probably the last model.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH007 View Post
    If you don't like TouchWiz, there are scores of other launchers you can use in the play store. No root is required to utilize different launchers. I have been using Nova since I first got an Android device about a year ago and it blows TouchWiz out of the water. I've also used Apex and it is very similar to Nova. Not sure if you ever jailbroke your iPhone but Nova and Apex are basically like the tweak Springtomize.
    Touchwiz isn't a launcher it's a fork of android, so installing a launcher won't affect all of the other touchwiz elements:

Core apps with TW design like phone, SMS etc
    All settings screens and menus
    Quick settings panel

for a few examples off the top of my head.

I find TW elements far more displeasing to look at than just the home screen and app drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by rews View Post
    Touchwiz isn't a launcher it's a fork of android, so installing a launcher won't affect all of the other touchwiz elements:

Core apps with TW design like phone, SMS etc
    All settings screens and menus
    Quick settings panel

for a few examples off the top of my head.

I find TW elements far more displeasing to look at than just the home screen and app drawer.
    That's true enough but using a different launcher will get rid of a lot of the undesirable features of TouchWiz.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

That's true enough but using a different launcher will get rid of a lot of the undesirable features of TouchWiz.
    Just the UI of the home screen and the app drawer.

Just the UI of the home screen and the app drawer.
    You say "just the UI of the homescreen and app drawer" but that is a lot. Folders, icons, homescreen menus, ability to add gestures etc.... If you don't like the way the dialer or SMS app look, just download a third party dialer or SMS app.
    Thanked by:
    deadp1xel likes this.

Nexus? S5 or wait for note 4.. been there done that.. options are limited great phone

Posted from galaxyS5

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Sorry, double post
    Last edited by rews; 08-27-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

You say "just the UI of the homescreen and app drawer" but that is a lot. Folders, icons, homescreen menus, ability to add gestures etc.... If you don't like the way the dialer or SMS app look, just download a third party dialer or SMS app.
    And the other system level user facing aspects of TW? I'd just buy another brand. That's also a good workaround

Exactly. Honestly the TW bits aren't that bad especially with the version of TW that the s5 has.

Posted via Android Central App
    iPhone 6+ & Galaxy Note 4 user. Google Glass Explorer.

And the other system level user facing aspects of TW? I'd just buy another brand. That's also a good workaround
    [edited by Moderator] Obviously he could go buy another brand. LOL, WTF?

Since he is considering buying the S5, obviously there are things about it that he likes. He said he thinks TouchWiz is ugly, which is rather ambiguous. I suggested a different launcher, which would change the look of things and maybe make the S5 just right for him. If he doesn't like the way the TW menu looks (LOL) then he can certainly go buy something else.
    Last edited by dpham00; 08-27-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Cleaned up some posts. Please let's keep things on topic

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Great insights, I was asking myself the same question...Thanks