Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BrainSmashR
  • 1 Post By theonlybuster
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Benefits of Launchers??

What are the real benefits of using a launcher instead of the basic s5 setup?

I've played with Nova, Apex and Go Launcher but didn't see any significant benefit with them over touchwiz outside of aesthetics....sure it's neat to have random transitions between screens, but is that really all I'm getting with different launchers?
    ice bank mice elf

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

Some people say that TouchWiz is heavy and make your phone laggy and some people hate it
    Nova or etc you can tweak your home screen more
    Posted via the Android Central App

Default Re: Benefits of Launchers??

Quote Originally Posted by BrainSmashR View Post
    What are the real benefits of using a launcher instead of the basic s5 setup?

I've played with Nova, Apex and Go Launcher but didn't see any significant benefit with them over touchwiz outside of aesthetics....sure it's neat to have random transitions between screens, but is that really all I'm getting with different launchers?
    Launcher gives you the ability to customize and add gestures vs Touchwiz you can't.

Simple answer is the increased customizations to your home screen, app drawer, launcher dock along with icons and shortcuts that stock launchers just don't offer.

Some people are fine with that while others want more.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 2:

I think you havent experimented wth the launchers enough.. there is significant alterations you can do. At 1st I thought the same. Uninstalled nova many times untill I finally took time to go through settings. Touchwiz no comparison. My phone wth out nova is peanut butter without jelly give it some time. And I rooted my device an hour ago. This phone is addictive.

Posted from galaxyS5

Quote Originally Posted by bsettz View Post
    I think you havent experimented wth the launchers enough.. there is significant alterations you can do. At 1st I thought the same. Uninstalled nova many times untill I finally took time to go through settings.
    I agree. I think the TS needs to give it more of a chance and really delve into the settings. I have a hard time believing that you couldn't at least a few customizations that you like. You can change the folders, icons, icon size, number of icons per page, dock scrolling etc..... There are tons of settings to mess with.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Simple answer is the increased customizations to your home screen, app drawer, launcher dock along with icons and shortcuts that stock launchers just don't offer.

Some people are fine with that while others want more.
    Thanks....that's the answer/explanation I was looking for.
    ice bank mice elf
    Paul627g likes this.

Multiple docks and the ability to add more than 5 apps in the dock. Love it.

Posted via Android Central App

I ran solo launcher on my last phone. Before switching, I backed up my launcher settings to the SD card. When I got my S5, I put the SD card in, installed solo launcher, and restored the settings from the SD. Voila! Instant setup, and exactly the way I wanted it. It saved me a lot of fiddling around.

How much does a custom launcher add to battery drain?

I'm running Nova Prime and my battery live seems to be really good. No complaints at all...of course I just came from an iPhone 4S.

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    How much does a custom launcher add to battery drain?
    Doesn't really affect battery life.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Doesn't really affect battery life.
    I'll attest to this. I've tried ALL TYPES of lite and minimum launchers, battery life didn't really change.
    Launchers are for a custom feel. That's it.
    Moto Photon Q (work/power phone) / Sam S5 (new primary) / Sam Continuum (music)
    Paul627g likes this.