Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Brand New S5 - Super Battery Drain

Hey guys. New hear, I hope you can help me! Just bought the Galaxy S5 yesterday. Was looking to enjoy being battery life than my old S3 only to be greatly disappointed.

Attached are screen shots - I got less than 11 hours on this first charge, with less than normal use. Can any of you tell me what is going on? Don't want to factory reset, as it took me forever to get this phone setup how I want it. I can't seem to find where the issue is?

Thank you for the help

-Alec

Default Re: Brand New S5 - Super Battery Drain

The fact that you just set it up may have a lot to do with it. I would give it a few days before you say you have super battery drain.

Sent from my XPS 12-9Q33 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well, when I got the phone the battery was at 50%. Set it up until it hit 10%, then plugged it in. Let it fully charge while I slept and today was the first day I normally used it. Would it really still be draining fast? Trying to post screenshots, the forum is saying I cant post links yet because I'm new...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Here we go! Attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brand New S5 - Super Battery Drain-4.jpg   Brand New S5 - Super Battery Drain-3.jpg   Brand New S5 - Super Battery Drain-2.jpg   Brand New S5 - Super Battery Drain-1.jpg  

When I first got mine I think it was like 3 or 4 days before it kinda got to normal. A lot of times you also use it a little bit more when you first get it just because it's new. I'll look at the screenshots once you post them though to see if anything looks suspicious plus I'm sure some others will chime in too.

Sent from my XPS 12-9Q33 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I posted the screenshots right before your last post bud!

I don't see anything really "out of line".

I do notice a fair amount of screen time, so that said, are you trying to keep the screen brightness at a minimum? I leave mine on AUTO adjust at maximum brightness, but I work outside a lot in open bright sun.

Also, I use MacroDroid to turn OFF the internet (data and wifi) when the screen is locked. MacroDroid will turn the internet back ON as soon as I unlock the screen. Doing this idles the phone down to about 1/2 percent per hour of battery use. My phone is currently at 74% with 14 hours since charge today. I have made about six phone calls, about as many text messages, read a lot of emails, and have been downloading a bunch of anti-virus apps trying to find out why my phone had push ads on it.....

I consider that decent battery for today's use. It changes for me every day. Some days I go to bed with about 85% left on the battery, it was a quiet day.

Other times, with a lot of activity and screen on time it will be down to 45% or maybe 35%...

We each have to learn our phone's battery use, and it all comes down to how you use it.

Turn off Background Data and Sync. If you do nothing else, that will usually be a noticeable help.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for the advice. I didnt think that was a lot of screen time - 2 hours in an entire day? That's a fourth of what I normally do.
    Unfortunately turning off the internet and sync isnt an option for me, as I rely on my email for work.

This is disappointing. I had heard from many and from online sources that the battery would last 1 to 2 days with normal use, easily. My phone died today at 8:30, meaning it lasted a total of 12.5 hours... for a brand new phone, and not being heavily used today, I am very regretful so far.

I have the same time duration as you.. I'd say the same. Check if you have some process called gpsd? In my case, this process drain my batery...

You can install cpu spy and check if you Phone goes into deep sleep Mode? If you answer is no.. You Will have to install battery wake lock detector and search any process or application that prevents you Phone entering into deep sleep Mode..

Sorry my inglish is bad..
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thank you, I will try but I'm still a bit confused

Does anyone have any ideas?

It is possible that some application do not let you Phone into deep sleep Mode. (which keeps the cpu 500mhz al the time.. In my case It was the process called gpsd... my extreme solution was root my Phone Phone and rename fue gpsd and all perfect..

Enviado desde mi SM-G900H mediante Tapatalk

Simple solution: when not using the phone's apps, just use two fingers to swipe down from the top and turn on Ultra Power Savings Mode. It still allows phoning and messaging but will temporarily shut down rogue apps and substantially boost battery longevity before charging is required.

I average 7 days between recharges.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    Simple solution: when not using the phone's apps, just use two fingers to swipe down from the top and turn on Ultra Power Savings Mode. It still allows phoning and messaging but will temporarily shut down rogue apps and substantially boost battery longevity before charging is required.

I average 7 days between recharges.
    For gpsd system process; activating any; battery options; the process was still running and requesting positioning data ... My battery drained from 100% -90% in a little over an hour while it was off ... (No deep sleep mode) .. In the case of a friend; the best way to find what the problem is; is gathering information about the process or application that prevents your device to enter deep sleep mode.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

How do I find out what's keeping it from going into deep sleep mode?

And unfortunately the ultra power saving mode isn't an option for me - I want my phone to work correctly as it should

First you need dowloaded the Google play, the following application: cpu spy. You can Rum it and then close it, your Phone should some time without activating, 15 minutes or less. Then Rum application and see something like this

As you can see at the end says deep sleep Mode.... If you Phone does not trigger Deep sleep Mode Will not appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Minnick View Post
    How do I find out what's keeping it from going into deep sleep mode?

And unfortunately the ultra power saving mode isn't an option for me - I want my phone to work correctly as it should
    First you need to download the google play; the following application: Cpu Spy. You can run it, and then close it, your phone should remain some time without activating, 15 minutes or less. Then run the application and see something like this.

(as you can see at the end says deep sleep mode ... If your phone does not trigger deep sleep mode will not appear ...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brand New S5 - Super Battery Drain-screenshot_2014-08-30-22-15-34.jpg  

If you upload some screenshot would help more..