Separate volume settings for msg notifications & ring tone?

Desertnate

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
After switching to a S5 from the iOS platform I thought I had a really good handle on running the new device until one of the most simple functions on any phone decided to cause me the most grief. I've installed a new launcher, customized the icons, and tweaked hundreds of settings, but I've been bested by the volume control.

Primary issue: When I increase the volume using the rocker on the side of the phone, it only applies the change to incoming calls only, not incoming text message notifications. I'm constantly missing texts because I never heard them come in. I can't see any separate setting anywhere. Did I overlook it?

Secondary issue: Volume levels for both messaging and phone calls seems to randomy set themselves. Some times off...sometimes medium...sometimes very soft. It's almost as if it changes everything I unlock the phone. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

sartick

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Separate volume settings for message notifications and ring tone?

I have a similar question.....can I have one volume level for my ringtone(s) and a different level for the call itself?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

After switching to a S5 from the iOS platform I thought I had a really good handle on running the new device until one of the most simple functions on any phone decided to cause me the most grief. I've installed a new launcher, customized the icons, and tweaked hundreds of settings, but I've been bested by the volume control.

Primary issue: When I increase the volume using the rocker on the side of the phone, it only applies the change to incoming calls only, not incoming text message notifications. I'm constantly missing texts because I never heard them come in. I can't see any separate setting anywhere. Did I overlook it?

Secondary issue: Volume levels for both messaging and phone calls seems to randomy set themselves. Some times off...sometimes medium...sometimes very soft. It's almost as if it changes everything I unlock the phone. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

When you hit the volume button, a little box comes up. Tap on the gear and you will get separate volume sliders for Ringtones, Notifications, Media and System.

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Settings --> sound --> volume. You can manage volume for ringtone, media, notifications separately.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I have a similar question.....can I have one volume level for my ringtone(s) and a different level for the call itself?
You might need to use an App called Tasker to set that. Not sure if it will, but it's very versatile and likely could.

OP, as mentioned above you'll need to go into settings > sounds and adjust the various sounds accordingly. There are widgets in the Play Store that will allow you to control each individual volume without changing the device wide volume setting. Take a look at that and let us know how it works for you.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Thanks,

This app will fix you up . It has a a widget also which you can control all of your volume settings from . https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.cb.volumePlus&hl=en&token=3ILXwBUs

Attachments

• 2014-08-28 18.29.46.jpg
    2014-08-28 18.29.46.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2014-08-28 18.29.50.jpg
    2014-08-28 18.29.50.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 5

sartick

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

I found an app named Persist that allows you to set a specific volume level for virtually all the things on your phone that have sound associated with it. From what I have seen and tried, it works well. Persists allows you to set specific volume for:
Alarm
Media
Ringer
Notification
System
Voice (i.e. phone calls)
Bluetooth

Each has a volume bar associated with it. To increase a specific volume, an upward flick of your finger on that bar will increase that volume while a downward flick will decrease that volume setting. The app is free and seems to do all that I wanted to do. They have a Pro version ($2.99, I think) that claims to have additional features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non