App for night mode / smart actions

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've spent the last several years using MOTO products, and have happily made the switch to Samsung with the S5. I love, love, love this phone.

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I did a cursory search without a satisfactory (for me) answer.

The one thing I miss is Smart Actions, specifically the smart action that automatically shut off my ringers and notifications at bedtime and turned them back on in the morning. That's really the only one I miss, and I'd like to get that working on my S5.

• Is this possible on the S5 without downloading an app?
  • Is there an app that will make it possible?
  • I don't need all the power of something like Tasker. I'd just like the night mode if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I've spent the last several years using MOTO products, and have happily made the switch to Samsung with the S5. I love, love, love this phone.

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I did a cursory search without a satisfactory (for me) answer.

The one thing I miss is Smart Actions, specifically the smart action that automatically shut off my ringers and notifications at bedtime and turned them back on in the morning. That's really the only one I miss, and I'd like to get that working on my S5.

• I don't need all the power of something like Tasker. I'd just like the night mode if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

You can use Blocking mode to turn off the ringer at night works great .

Attachments

• 2014-08-29 13.24.09.jpg
    2014-08-29 13.24.09.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 66

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Blocking more, moronically, puts a permanent icon in your status bar regardless of it actually being active or not. If this bothers you as much as it does me, I would recommend an app called "Silence Premium". It does the same thing without the stupid icon.

Yeah, its ridiculous spending money on a function that the phone already has, but Samsungs implementation is so stupid, I did it out of spite.

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Looks like blocking mode will give me exactly what I want, thank you!

However, if it doesn't work out I'll give Silence Premium a try. I'm always willing to pay a couple of bucks for no ads in my apps.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Blocking more, moronically, puts a permanent icon in your status bar regardless of it actually being active or not. If this bothers you as much as it does me, I would recommend an app called "Silence Premium". It does the same thing without the stupid icon.

Yeah, its ridiculous spending money on a function that the phone already has, but Samsungs implementation is so stupid, I did it out of spite.

Personally I think Sammy did just fine implementing blocking mode . Yes there is a an Icon in the notification bar when it comes on but you know what . I'm freaking sleeping so I don't care . LOL . When I get up in the morning ...... Guess what ..... No Icon . The nice part is I can set what numbers I want to come through come through in a emergency . Learn how to set the on off time in blocking mode instead of bashing it . LOL

Last edited:

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
What, are you dating blocking mode?

Seriously, you are using a different version than I am. When I put on blocking mode the icon shows up even when blocking mode is not activated, only scheduled. In other words, as long as blocking mode is on, the icon never goes away.

Posted via Android Central App

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

I miss Smart Actions too (Razr) but not enough to take any points away from this phone. I LOVE it! :)

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think Sammy did just fine implementing blocking mode . Yes there is a an Icon in the notification bar when it comes on but you know what . I'm freaking sleeping so I don't care . LOL . When I get up in the morning ...... Guess what ..... No Icon . The nice part is I can set what numbers I what to come through come through in a emergency . Learn how to set the on off time in blocking mode instead of bashing it . LOL

I'm going to give Blocking Mode a try. I had it set up in Smart Actions to allow my daughter and parents to call but it silenced all other numbers.
Thanks!

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone too. My RAZR got laggy and slow even after factory resets.

I set up blocking on a timer. No icon in the taskbar at present. I think this is gonna work.

Posted via the Android Central App

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
What, are you dating blocking mode?

Seriously, you are using a different version than I am. When I put on blocking mode the icon shows up even when blocking mode is not activated, only scheduled. In other words, as long as blocking mode is on, the icon never goes away.

Hmm. I wonder if it varies by carrier. I have blocking mode set for 10:00pm to 7:00 am and the indicator only shows up during that time. Any other time it is not in the status bar.

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. I wonder if it varies by carrier. I have blocking mode set for 10:00pm to 7:00 am and the indicator only shows up during that time. Any other time it is not in the status bar.

I'm on Verizon, no icon until it kicked on via the timer.

Posted via the Android Central App

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Screen shot of ATT galaxy s5 blocking mode. You can see it is turned on but not active. Icon is there.

I can't believe this is a carrier choice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-30-06-15-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-30-06-15-34.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 33

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Screen shot of ATT galaxy s5 blocking mode. You can see it is turned on but not active. Icon is there.

I can't believe this is a carrier choice.

I'm on Verizon . No Icon and you can see blocking mode is turned on .

Attachments

• 2014-08-30 14.37.11.jpg
    2014-08-30 14.37.11.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 30

ziva2006

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Sprint. Mine stays on the notification bar as well.

I've used Shush for the longest time. Very simple and small footprint app, but it turns all notifications off.

Cincojoe

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
So when I set blocking mode, I still get LED notifications. Shouldn't this not happen once you check the "turn off notifications"?

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't tell ya. I'm sleeping when blocking mode is on . The LED is blue it's not that bright . When I wake up yes the LED is on .

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234