Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 1Coopgt
  • 1 Post By nyc_rock
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts

Default App for night mode / smart actions

I've spent the last several years using MOTO products, and have happily made the switch to Samsung with the S5. I love, love, love this phone.

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I did a cursory search without a satisfactory (for me) answer.

The one thing I miss is Smart Actions, specifically the smart action that automatically shut off my ringers and notifications at bedtime and turned them back on in the morning. That's really the only one I miss, and I'd like to get that working on my S5.

• Is this possible on the S5 without downloading an app?
    • Is there an app that will make it possible?
    • I don't need all the power of something like Tasker. I'd just like the night mode if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

Default Re: App for night mode / smart actions

Quote Originally Posted by revwill View Post
    I've spent the last several years using MOTO products, and have happily made the switch to Samsung with the S5. I love, love, love this phone.

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I did a cursory search without a satisfactory (for me) answer.

The one thing I miss is Smart Actions, specifically the smart action that automatically shut off my ringers and notifications at bedtime and turned them back on in the morning. That's really the only one I miss, and I'd like to get that working on my S5.

• I don't need all the power of something like Tasker. I'd just like the night mode if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
    You can use Blocking mode to turn off the ringer at night works great .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails App for night mode / smart actions-2014-08-29-13.24.09.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    thecomicbookandme and TexasS5 like this.

Blocking more, moronically, puts a permanent icon in your status bar regardless of it actually being active or not. If this bothers you as much as it does me, I would recommend an app called "Silence Premium". It does the same thing without the stupid icon.

Yeah, its ridiculous spending money on a function that the phone already has, but Samsungs implementation is so stupid, I did it out of spite.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts

Looks like blocking mode will give me exactly what I want, thank you!

However, if it doesn't work out I'll give Silence Premium a try. I'm always willing to pay a couple of bucks for no ads in my apps.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Blocking more, moronically, puts a permanent icon in your status bar regardless of it actually being active or not. If this bothers you as much as it does me, I would recommend an app called "Silence Premium". It does the same thing without the stupid icon.

Yeah, its ridiculous spending money on a function that the phone already has, but Samsungs implementation is so stupid, I did it out of spite.
    Personally I think Sammy did just fine implementing blocking mode . Yes there is a an Icon in the notification bar when it comes on but you know what . I'm freaking sleeping so I don't care . LOL . When I get up in the morning ...... Guess what ..... No Icon . The nice part is I can set what numbers I want to come through come through in a emergency . Learn how to set the on off time in blocking mode instead of bashing it . LOL

What, are you dating blocking mode?

Seriously, you are using a different version than I am. When I put on blocking mode the icon shows up even when blocking mode is not activated, only scheduled. In other words, as long as blocking mode is on, the icon never goes away.

Posted via Android Central App
    joe watson1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by revwill View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I miss Smart Actions too (Razr) but not enough to take any points away from this phone. I LOVE it!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
    Personally I think Sammy did just fine implementing blocking mode . Yes there is a an Icon in the notification bar when it comes on but you know what . I'm freaking sleeping so I don't care . LOL . When I get up in the morning ...... Guess what ..... No Icon . The nice part is I can set what numbers I what to come through come through in a emergency . Learn how to set the on off time in blocking mode instead of bashing it . LOL

I'm going to give Blocking Mode a try. I had it set up in Smart Actions to allow my daughter and parents to call but it silenced all other numbers.
    Thanks!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts

I love this phone too. My RAZR got laggy and slow even after factory resets.

I set up blocking on a timer. No icon in the taskbar at present. I think this is gonna work.

Posted via the Android Central App

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

What, are you dating blocking mode?

Seriously, you are using a different version than I am. When I put on blocking mode the icon shows up even when blocking mode is not activated, only scheduled. In other words, as long as blocking mode is on, the icon never goes away.

Hmm. I wonder if it varies by carrier. I have blocking mode set for 10:00pm to 7:00 am and the indicator only shows up during that time. Any other time it is not in the status bar.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezmcmeezy View Post
    Hmm. I wonder if it varies by carrier. I have blocking mode set for 10:00pm to 7:00 am and the indicator only shows up during that time. Any other time it is not in the status bar.
    I'm on Verizon, no icon until it kicked on via the timer.

Posted via the Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by ezmcmeezy View Post
    What carrier are you on?

Screen shot of ATT galaxy s5 blocking mode. You can see it is turned on but not active. Icon is there.

I can't believe this is a carrier choice.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails App for night mode / smart actions-screenshot_2014-08-30-06-15-34.jpg  

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

Screen shot of ATT galaxy s5 blocking mode. You can see it is turned on but not active. Icon is there.

I can't believe this is a carrier choice.

I'm on Verizon . No Icon and you can see blocking mode is turned on .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails App for night mode / smart actions-2014-08-30-14.37.11.jpg  

I use sound profile pro. Simple app that turns off my ringer at night automatically and allows my wife and mom to call. I also use if for meetings to automatically turn my phone on vibrate if my calendar shows busy.

One of the main reasons I stay with android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...HpHzgwTasoLIBg

Quote Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
    I'm on Verizon . No Icon and you can see blocking mode is turned on .
    Amazing that the functionality would be different by carrier. So its ATT's fault?

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

I am on Verizon.
    What carrier are you on?

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

I'm on Sprint. Mine stays on the notification bar as well.

I've used Shush for the longest time. Very simple and small footprint app, but it turns all notifications off.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

So when I set blocking mode, I still get LED notifications. Shouldn't this not happen once you check the "turn off notifications"?

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

Couldn't tell ya. I'm sleeping when blocking mode is on . The LED is blue it's not that bright . When I wake up yes the LED is on .

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Hmm thanks. Would be nice to dim it during blocking mode.

I use Mute Pro (Auto Silent Ringer)
    pretty sure it's free, and does what you want, by calendar, by set times or location.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Thanks I'll check I it out.

I used to have a Moto phone, but could never get Smart Actions to behave properly, so I just installed Llama, which I still use on my S5. While not the easiest app to use, once you have it set up, it's pretty flawless.