Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Default Rotation/Gryoscope/Compass failure

Got a new S5 last week. A few days after purchase I noticed that the screen wouldnt rotate. I verified that the screen rotation had not gotten turned off. I used the GPS fix app to verify that no gyroscope functionality was working. I can power off and power on the phone to get it working again but it keeps going back out after about a day.

I did a battery pull and it didn't stop the problem from coming back.

I've seen others with this same issue online and no fixes. I'm on Verizon and can't get into the service menu but I believe that the GPS fix app is showing the same gyroscope data that the service menu would have.

Any ideas or other things I can try before I go replace the phone? I don't think its hardware because a power cycle fixes it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Default Re: Rotation/Gryoscope/Compass failure

Just used Samsung online support chat and the tech had me wipe the cache partition. I doubt that will help but I did it anyway. Now I just have to wait the 24 hours (approx.) to see if it does it again.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

It did not help. Any others having the same issue?

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

So when you say it won't rotate do you mean when on the home screen or when using an app ? Are you using a different launcher of touch wiz? Unfortunately I pretty much changed the launcher on my phone the first day I had it . So I can't remember if touchwiz rotates or not .I know on my Razr Maxx the stock launcher wouldn't rotate . Touchwiz may be the same way .
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

When it happens, which is a few days after every reboot/shutdown, it fails to rotate on any app that has the feature. Gmail, browser, gallery, etc... Then when it stops rotating the battery starts to drain much faster than normal and in battery use reporting the biggest user of the battery by FAR is gsiff_daemon. Otherwise gsiff_daemon is never on the battery use list when rotate works. I have cleared the cache partition, done the latest vzw gs5 update, pulled the battery for an extended period of time, checked and unchecked auto rotate, etc... I can always fix with a restart and it always comes back a few days later.

Have you done a complete factory reset? You might as well try it before giving up on the phone for good.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

I haven't yet. I've been hoping for some miracle solution somewhere on the net. I see that other samsung devices have suffered from the same issue. Other gs3, gs4, and notes also.

I know that i have to do it. Its just a pain in the *** because im not rooted so I can't save everything and put it back after.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenzo View Post
    I haven't yet. I've been hoping for some miracle solution somewhere on the net. I see that other samsung devices have suffered from the same issue. Other gs3, gs4, and notes also.

I know that i have to do it. Its just a pain in the *** because im not rooted so I can't save everything and put it back after.
    Actually, there is a lot you can do to make the repair of the phone a lot less painless.

read this post, and how I go about it now.

* Nova Launcher steps to restore your phone
    MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

Thanked by:
    Cenzo 
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

After 2 factory resets, pre lollipop patch, and lollipop upgrade I decided to send my phone in for warranty repair. They are trying to charge me $190 to fix my in warranty phone? They are trying to say that its Out of Warranty because of a LCD issue. There were no cracks or chips in the screen. The only thing wrong with it was the gyroscope wouldnt function to switch between portrait and landscape. I told them they were incorrect and they must have mixed my phone up with someone elses at the repair center. They are "checking into it" and getting back to me in 24-48 hours.

TEM OLD PRICE NEW PRICE

Standard Repair Fee $0.00 $64.95
    LCD Repair Fee $0.00 $104.00
    PBA Price $0.00 $0.00

Sub Total $0.00 $0.00
    Tax $0.00 $13.94
    Total Cost $0.00 $182.89

All Total Cost $182.89

Grrrr!