Making a "true total image backup", what app(s) can do this?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I am aware of Titanium, but it requires Root access. I have never done that to my phones, but my recent frustration with a series of worm bots just might be the pry bar that pushes me to get the job done.

I have restored my S5 now a total of 3 times because of "dumb arse" mistakes (lost passwords), or messing it up once beyond fixing it right, and the 3rd time a worm bot snuck on board and no virus program could find that rascal.

My "real frustration" was not the F U's on my part, it was the total inability of Kies 3.0 to actually restore my phone to the exact Configuration that I Had prior to the Factory Reset.

Oh, I did not loose any apps, and all of them were put back on the phone. This is not Quite True..... all the apps were retained, but the Paid Premium Upgrades "were NOT"

I lost all of the configurations, wallpaper setup, the folders with their contents arranged "just so" like I want them. And it lost all of the Text Messages...... IF this sot had used Drive or Verizon's Cloud backup, I could have recovered my text messages.... but I don't like things "out there" on the "cloud"..... I am a private type person....

Kies 3.0 is great for saving your tailbone sort of, but it is not a true Image Backup like I can do with my Windows PC with any one of several Image Backup utilities. Break your PC, whip out a CDROM and boot up the PC and slap on the external USB 1 TB hard drive and 20 minutes later your PC is working again just like nothing ever happened to it . Everything is exactly like you left it prior to that Image Backup.

No so with our cellphones.... at least not with one that is bone stock and not rooted.... That is, As Far AS I Know right now.

Short of rooting my phone, is there any way to make an Image Backup that will replicate my phone's configuration exactly the way I had it when I made the backup?

I'm all ears.....

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Nope, according to your description of 'image backup', which is the so call nadroid backup perform with the recovery, where it backs up the whole ROM into a zip file. Nothing short of root will let you do that on the Android phone. If you want something similar to TB, try 'myBackup', it's one of the popular alternative to titanium backup, with or without root. Now I've always been a titanium man, but I have heard good things about mybackup.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Nope, according to your description of 'image backup', which is the so call nadroid backup perform with the recovery, where it backs up the whole ROM into a zip file. Nothing short of root will let you do that on the Android phone. If you want something similar to TB, try 'myBackup', it's one of the popular alternative to titanium backup, with or without root. Now I've always been a titanium man, but I have heard good things about mybackup.

Thank you muchly for that advice on the "mybackup"....

I am reading the Pro version and it seems as though, per the description, that it would be able to recreate the home pages and restore the configuration. as well as preserving emails and text messages.

I'm going to try the freebie right now, and if it performs well, I don't mind paying for a premium piece of programming at all.

thanks again.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, Helium is your best bet for what you need, I also was used to Titanium and nandroid backups but since I can't the S5, my office is paying for it, I needed something urgent, it's free so I didn't lose anything for trying it, and so far it has been great.

Last month I decided to get the premium version when I got my G3, so I could kept synchronized when switching between the S5 and G3. It paid for itself.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, it seems that "mybackup" is not completely perfect..... I found this warning about creating your own folders and storing data in them. Mybackup does not copy the complete phone configuration, it only copies pertinent hard coded folder names.

Temporarily, this will still work okay for me..... but I smell a ROOT in my future... I just need some hands on holding for that little effort though. I don't trust my fingers to rooting the only $600 phone I have and bricking it.

anyway, the warning message on mybackup:

BE CAREFUL with this app Overall, this app works very well. The big problem is that if there is any data residing in a unique directory, it WILL NOT back it up. Therefore, if you have a total crash and restore a data-backed apk (app), you will not have any data to restore. This is as much the fault of the app design as it is with My Backup Pro not having the ability to add directories to the backup tree. My sharing this is only to give fair warning to NOT rely on this app for your backups. If you have an app that depends on underlying data, and is stored in a separate directly, make sure to backup that directory somewhere, in addition to doing the backups by My Backup Pro.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, Helium is your best bet for what you need, I also was used to Titanium and nandroid backups but since I can't the S5, my office is paying for it, I needed something urgent, it's free so I didn't lose anything for trying it, and so far it has been great.

Last month I decided to get the premium version when I got my G3, so I could kept synchronized when switching between the S5 and G3. It paid for itself.

Thanks for that info, I will get Helium right now and give that one a try right now.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Helium.

On the surface, the only thing that app does is copy the apps on the phone.

It does not say one word about anything else. There is a total lack of documentation as to what it will, or will not do.

I'm still searching.....

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Helium.

On the surface, the only thing that app does is copy the apps on the phone.

It does not say one word about anything else. There is a total lack of documentation as to what it will, or will not do.

I'm still searching.....

Helium will create a backup of all your selected Apps and settings to the phone, SD card or Cloud (I think Cloud is just for premium version) then just move your whole Backup folder from the phone or SD card to your PC and there you have it safe, just keep a copy on your SD card so it's easier when you need to restore.

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Rooting your phone doesn't have to be painful, it can be quick and painless. Gone are those days where you have to connect to the pc and use the adb to type bunch commands. If you don't want to bother with doing the research on rooting, just get towelroot, it's an app that you install on your phone, and it claims it can root most of Android phones. I wish somebody let me know about towelroot when I was rooting my phone. And yeah, you will find how much more controls you have over your phone once you root, especially backing up your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance