Want to Switch to Galaxy S5 from iPhone 5S But Getting Cold Feet

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
They're both great phones...the question is, do you want a 600 dollar phone that looks exactly like every other iPhone or would you like to be able to customize your phone without jailbreaking it

Posted via Android Central App

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I switched from iPhone 5 and I'm happy. Is it better? No... Does it have different strengths? Yes, the display size and quality alone keeps me happy with it. The camera is great to.

it being better is subjective.

I tried iPhone don't like it, I seem to get to stuff easier and faster on my s5 then on an iphone

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
You guys must have good luck with your iPhones because my 5S crashes almost daily and I have to reset it all the time lol. I had ****ty luck with my 4 too. The only iPhone I had absolutely ZERO problems with was the 3GS. Loved that damn thing lol. But yeah it's good to hear that people are switching and do like it. So when you guys are saying you're not getting very good app performance, what do you mean? Like lag? I get that on my 5S too. Like if I'm playing a game and open a text often the messaging app won't display my text until I force it off and bring it back up and usually that will end up crashing my game too. I have also had the notification issues on my 5S. Sometimes apps I allowed notifications for won't come through and other apps I have taken every action to block notifications from still show up. Is it worse on the Galaxy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had the Galaxy s5 since July. And experienced very little lag. It hasn't crashed once. Every now and then you might get a little bit of lag, not very often. Every phone will have some lag every now and then, wether they admit it or not.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
You'll see things that you like better on the S5 and then things that you will miss on your Iphone. Having been on Android now for about 18 months, I will say that overall performance was better on IOS. I don't think I rebooted my IPhone more than maybe once a week, where i have an ap to do that daily on my S5. There is much more lag on the S5 than there ever was on my Iphone. I personally think Siri does a much better job than OK Google.

That being said, I always hated being chained to the "I" collective. Felt like I was assimilated by the Borg. I really like the freedom that I have with my S5. Screen is better. Battery is better. Camera is better.

Just my .02

Ok Google and siri are completely different. I maybe restart my phone once a week, only cause it want to not because a bunch of lag.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
How is the battery life on the Galaxy? It sucks on the 5S. Even on low brightness normal usage barely lasts me a whole day.

I get an average of 16+ hours of battery life. that's with playing Pandora for 4 hours straight, and a couple hours of Netflix, and some gaming. light use can get u over 24 hours.

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I also switched from having an iphone. The biggest thing I miss from the iphone is that I could plug it into my tacoma via usb cable. Everything would come up on the touchscreen on my radio and i could control everything from there. Android system isn't supported so I was having to scan through my phone to listen to music and podcasts. I ended up just using my old iPhone as an ipod so I can direct connect to the truck stereo.

I also have a Mac, so the iphone and mac work very well together.

Both galaxy and iPhones have their ups and downs. The galaxy has a bit more freedom. The iPhone is less glitch and smoother.

This is my first smart phone outside of an iphone. I wasn't too sure when I first got it. But now that I'm getting acquainted with it I'm liking more.

The biggest test for me will be time. If the S5 still works well at 2 years without slowing and becoming glitchy I'll be happy. If it becomes a pain to use after that long I may switch back to the iphone, as it never seems to become problematic with age and use.

Chocolatefeet

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I purchased the S5 about 3 weeks ago and love it. I also purchased the Samsung Galaxy Tab S at the same time I got the phone and find that that phone is something of a mini tablet and I can go from one device to the other rather seamlessly. I came off an iPad and iPhone so there was a learning curve, but I quickly overcame any issues I had with going from IOS to Android.

Chocolatefeet

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Using power saver mode (not super power saver) my battery has lasted 3 1/2 days. I do not spend hours on the phone surfing the web or things like that, because I use the tablet. But, I am very pleased with the battery life.

BigZman95

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Do you guys know of any way I can text my girlfriend without her having to download any other texting apps? She has an iPhone and doesn't really get reception at her house. The only way she gets mine now is because we send iMessages over wifi. I know about apps like Text+ but we don't want to go that route because she used to use those and they're unreliable, especially if it's urgent or important.

dougie1792

May 31, 2011
Visit site
The new update for att does stop all the lag from my experience with the s5 I love it. It's fast and the display is beautiful and the things you can do on it is amazing

Posted via At&t SAMSUNG GALAXY S5

Denzo_K

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
You guys must have good luck with your iPhones because my 5S crashes almost daily and I have to reset it all the time lol. I had ****ty luck with my 4 too. The only iPhone I had absolutely ZERO problems with was the 3GS. Loved that damn thing lol. But yeah it's good to hear that people are switching and do like it. So when you guys are saying you're not getting very good app performance, what do you mean? Like lag? I get that on my 5S too. Like if I'm playing a game and open a text often the messaging app won't display my text until I force it off and bring it back up and usually that will end up crashing my game too. I have also had the notification issues on my 5S. Sometimes apps I allowed notifications for won't come through and other apps I have taken every action to block notifications from still show up. Is it worse on the Galaxy?

Wow man, my iPhone 5S, (or 5, or 4S OR 4) never crashed. Like ever. Don't get me wrong - my SGS5 doesn't either. But crash every day?? What are you honestly doing with it.

Denzo_K

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Do you guys know of any way I can text my girlfriend without her having to download any other texting apps? She has an iPhone and doesn't really get reception at her house. The only way she gets mine now is because we send iMessages over wifi. I know about apps like Text+ but we don't want to go that route because she used to use those and they're unreliable, especially if it's urgent or important.

WhatsApp is what I'm using. Works perfect.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Wow man, my iPhone 5S, (or 5, or 4S OR 4) never crashed. Like ever. Don't get me wrong - my SGS5 doesn't either. But crash every day?? What are you honestly doing with it.

Same here. My iPhones NEVER crashed, even while being Jailbroken. My S5 has to be reset weekly. Sometimes it just stops receiving the internet. I will have 4g, full bars, but can't connect to anything. I restart the phone and it all works great.

Denzo_K

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Right now I have an iPhone 5S, 64GB, AT&T. I want to switch to the Galaxy S5 because there is a lot I like about (more powerful, better apps, customization options, custom ROMs, etc.) but I'm just not sure. There are a lot of important features to me on my iPhone, mostly iMessaging. What are some of the shortcomings of these phones? I know that I could just Google this and I have but I want to hear some responses from actual owners of the phones. Have any of you switched from the iPhone? Do you like it better? Do you miss anything about the iPhone?

Hey there,

I really like the S5. I needed a change from iOS and made the "cold feet" move myself. Ive had all iPhones since the 3G including the 5S 64GB in Gold - and at the end of the day I wanted to try something different. The SGS5 is awesome. The screen - not just the size - the quality - is amazing. Colours and blacks look amazing. The battery is better. It is smooth. You can put 1080p videos on it with ease. It feels really nice in the hand.

I can't use my Apple TV with it (have an iPad for that) and iMessage is no longer with me (my friends mostly have Whatsapp anyway as well as normal messages) but for all the other stuff right now I'm very happy with the choice.

Its not as different as it was a long time ago back in the SGS2 vs iPhone 3GS days. You can even rip all your iTunes stuff straight over album art and everything.

Samsung GS5
+
Screen
Waterproof (underwater photos and shower use - wow)
Battery
New UI
Things like SHAZAM widget turn on in an instant, instead of waiting for app to open
1080p
watch all kinds of videos that you own with wasting time converting stuff (that never looks as good in the end)

Apple
+
Small
Music store is better - not content just the layout (do you buy a lot of music?)
A lot more of my friends use iMessage

They both sync contacts to a server, they both have a lot of good things. These are the main things so far for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20