S5 or S4

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
One of my friends that owned a Nexus 5, switched to a Galaxy S4. Android doesn't need beastly specifications to run smoothly anymore, and Android L will improve on that even further.

If you have the money, go for Galaxy S5 but even if you go for the S4 I don't think you'll regret it.

But TouchWiz can sometimes get laggy after a while.

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Please give examples.

Posted via Me

Such as?????
Well for me it's easy, the S4+ (i9596), preferably the True Black Edition = stunning, trumps the S5:

-Nicer physical design
-No horrible shiny fake chrome rim
-Smaller and more compact
-Thinner
-Better/higher screen to size ratio
-Pretty much the same HW specs in form of RAM, processor, GPU and screen (sure camera and battery isn't as good, but good enough!)
-no ip67, yes in my book it's a deal breaker cause I hate the extra bulk it gives the S5 and the ridiculous flap over the USB port.
-a hell of alot cheaper to buy

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
You make some good points. However, most of your preferences are purely subjective.
I, for one, prefer the larger size of the S5. The chrome bumper really doesn't bother me.
More important, I feel, is :
Better 16 MP camera, 4K video, HDR live view. Qualcomm image signal processor.
Larger, brighter, more efficient display.
128 gb SD storage.
Faster processor, marked improvement in performance.
3.0 USB transfer speeds.
Larger battery.
Faster battery charging.
Power saving mode.
Download booster.
Finger print scanner.
Water resistant.
Heart rate monitor.
I guess it just comes down to personal preference. The camera improvements alone are enough for me.

Posted via Me

Last edited:

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well for me it's easy, the S4+ (i9596), preferably the True Black Edition = stunning, trumps the S5:

-Nicer physical design
-No horrible shiny fake chrome rim
-Smaller and more compact
-Thinner
-Better/higher screen to size ratio
-Pretty much the same HW specs in form of RAM, processor, GPU and screen (sure camera and battery isn't as good, but good enough!)
-no ip67, yes in my book it's a deal breaker cause I hate the extra bulk it gives the S5 and the ridiculous flap over the USB port.
-a hell of alot cheaper to buy

Most of those are user preferences. Nothing hardware wise on the S4 will beat the S5. But I do agree with you on the charging port - horrendous!

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeah of course guys! The list above IS subjective! This thread wouldn't exist if this just where an objective issue! It always comes down to subjective views..... And the once presented here are mine!

And of course you are correct about the objective upgrades listed above, no one can dispute those. The S5 has many incremental upgrades from the S4. But I however priorities other things and those are tipping the scale to the S4 in my case, no question about it!

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah of course guys! The list above IS subjective! This thread wouldn't exist if this just where an objective issue! It always comes down to subjective views..... And the once presented here are mine!
The OP asked for "compelling reasons" to purchase an S5 over an S4. I think objective performance improvements are more compelling than subjective preferences.

Posted via Me

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The OP asked for "compelling reasons" to purchase an S5 over an S4. I think objective performance improvements are more compelling than subjective preferences.

Posted via Me
Well, if that would be so then why the F would he/she or anybody else need any forum, blogs or any other sites like them??? Just read the product specifications from the manufacturers home page! S5 is better then the S4, case closed!

Well, that's NOT how it works!

I wouldn't want alot of the new features from the S5 even if I some how could have them in a S4 or even in my current phone - free of charge / completely free! And that's because for me, they are not objective upgrades, they are subjective downgrades!

Francisco Liaci

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
About the S5: Definitely, the battery life is significant. And the power and ultra power modes DO work indeed. Up to 4 more hours of use in power mode and even 10 in ultra saving mode. It makes a difference to me.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just upgraded from the S4 and I'm so glad I did the battery life on this thing runs circles around my S4 even without using the powersaving mode. The camera superb, the screen amazing, and I actually don't mind the cover over the battery port more protection from dust in my opinion. Water resistant heck yeah I've had plenty of water accidents so it works for me!

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
The S5 has the Ultra power saving mode and wifi calling on Sprint, which is great if you are in an area with low signal but have Wi-Fi. Only the S4 mini active has it.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 Far Far Away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz