Want to have a "find my phone" app on on Galaxy S5...is there a native app for this..3rd party?

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Want to have a "find my phone" app on on Galaxy S5...is there a native app for this..3rd party?

I want to have a "find my phone" app on on Galaxy S5...is there a native app for this ?

Hello, I upgraded to the Galaxy S5 and I am wondering if it has a app that is similar to apple's "find my iphone" app. If not, can anyone recommend a 3rd party app to help locate a lost phone ?

I planned on installing "Avast Free Mobile Security"...which appears to have a "find my phone functionality."

Is there a native app that is better, or should I go with Avast ? I just would like an app that would help me find my phone if I loose it, etc.

thanks !

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Want to have a "find my phone" app on on Galaxy S5...is there a native app for this..3rd party?

Android Device Manager is incorporated in all our phones for quite some time now, just activate it in your Security settings under Device Administrators.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Want to have a "find my phone" app on on Galaxy S5...is there a native app for this..3rd party?

Android Device Manager is incorporated in all our phones for quite some time now, just activate it in your Security settings under Device Administrators.

Thank you.... I activated both Android Device Manager and Support and Protection....both from the Security menu...

Is it that simple....is there anything else I need to do ?

thanks again,

Jason

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site

Would installing Avast be redundant ?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Lookout security has that feature as well.

Posted via Android Central App

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Would installing Avast be redundant ?

Probably. Android device manager is very simple to use after setting it up. Just find any device you log into Google, and you can locate your device. You can also make your phone ring, or wipe the data off your phone.

Just remember, if you wipe the data off your phone, you will no longer be able to locate it because it will remove your account from the device.

Posted with my badass Galaxy S5

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

You can also use find my mobile. Samsung. com

It's Web based.

Posted from my S5

jalabi99

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

I want to have a "find my phone" app on on Galaxy S5...is there a native app for this ?

Hello, I upgraded to the Galaxy S5 and I am wondering if it has a app that is similar to apple's "find my iphone" app. If not, can anyone recommend a 3rd party app to help locate a lost phone ?

I planned on installing "Avast Free Mobile Security"...which appears to have a "find my phone functionality."

Is there a native app that is better, or should I go with Avast ? I just would like an app that would help me find my phone if I loose it, etc.

thanks !

I'd use Prey Anti Theft before I'd use Avast, personally.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site

Thank you, erasat... it looks like there are a lot of options for a "find my phone" app.

I did activate Android Device Manager under Device Administrators, as you suggested. There are two boxes that I checked (viewable after going to Device Adminstrators : 1. Android Device Manager and 2. Support and Protection...

My question..
1. Is this all that I need to do ?
2. What are the steps that I would take if I lost my phone, now that I have activated these two settings.

Thanks for your help.... very new to this phone.

Jason.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

That's all you need to do, and on case you need to locate or erase your phone just go to Android device manager site (https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager?u=0) or you can go now and you will see the options you have in advance.

Thank you, erasat... it looks like there are a lot of options for a "find my phone" app.

I did activate Android Device Manager under Device Administrators, as you suggested. There are two boxes that I checked (viewable after going to Device Adminstrators : 1. Android Device Manager and 2. Support and Protection...

My question..
1. Is this all that I need to do ?
2. What are the steps that I would take if I lost my phone, now that I have activated these two settings.

Thanks for your help.... very new to this phone.

Jason.

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

The link erasat posted is great IF you have Location enabled on your phone. I personally keep mine off (unless I need it), so with me it's mostly pointless. That being said, I use WhereMyDroid. It has a feature that will enable Location as long as there's a mobile or wifi signal on the phone, which will allow you to track and find the phone.
It also offers remote wipe, you can hide the icon (W/o rooting), and a few other features. And even a few more things if you pay for the full version.

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site

After using Android Device Manager (ADM), it seems the features (locate, ring, etc.) ONLY work IF the phone's screen is on and/or unlocked. So here's my issue...

Screen timeout is set to 15 seconds and then my phone locks automatically. So when the screen blacks out the ADM app DOESN'T work! None of the features work. If I press the side power button to get the screen to turn on ADM works. The problem with this is it times out after a few seconds and in this state ADM doesn't work. This means if my phone is lost or stolen, the ADM app is worthless. It won't work unless your phone is lit up and/or unlocked and someone is using it.

Does this make any sense? What's the point? I've played around with it and this is how it consistently works. Am I doing something wrong?

By the way, I used Samsung's FindMyPhone.Samsung.com app that came on the phone. It works with the phone in time out or standby mode but apparently not if the phone is powered off. Same thing with LookOut which is also preloaded on the S5 but LookOut never sounded the "scream" siren, not once.

Why is it this hard to find 1 app that just works like it should? I had BuddyGuard on my BlackBerry and it flat out worked no matter what. No issues, no worries.

I even tried Avast for Android and this thing is buggy as can be. Great concept but many of the features never worked. It said it was working but didn't work on my phone. Very frustrated realizing I'm dead in the water if I lose my phone or it's stolen. I'll be sitting at my PC logged into all these apps that say they are doing something when in reality they aren't doing anything!!! ARG!!!!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Okay, the phone is Powered Off.

That means it is not working at all.

Just why would you think that there would be a way to force it on?

You can't make a device work if it has no power to it.

By the way, I used Samsung's FindMyPhone.Samsung.com app that came on the phone. It works with the phone in time out or standby mode but apparently not if the phone is powered off. Same thing with LookOut which is also preloaded on the S5 but LookOut never sounded the "scream" siren, not once.

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Okay, the phone is Powered Off.

That means it is not working at all.

Just why would you think that there would be a way to force it on?

You can't make a device work if it has no power to it.

I was thinking it could still be located as long as the battery was in the phone. Just b/c the phone is powered off doesn't mean it's a brick. There was an app that would still be able to work as long as the battery was still in.

Posted via the Android Central App

appliancejunk

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Androidlost is an amazing app with a ton of features all for free.

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Androidlost is an amazing app with a ton of features all for free.

Thanks! I'll try this one & thanks to the op for suggesting Cerberus! This one has a ton of features...but it's not free. I'll pay for a good secure app. Makes sense to spend a few bucks for an expensive phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12