Stopping Hangouts Vibrations

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I started using Hangouts again for SMS on my Verizon S5 and quickly remembered why I had stopped in the first place. I cannot seem to turn off the Hangouts app vibrations for new texts. See, I use Light Flow for all my notifications, and I have it set up to vibrate twice when I get a new text message. Light Flow is working fine, but the problem is that there is always a third, longer vibration immediately before the Light Flow ones. I assume it's coming from the Hangouts app itself but I've poured through every setting, turned off vibrate everywhere I've seen it, and yet the single, long vibrate persists. I've even gone through all the main phone settings to no avail. I'm also relatively certain that Light Flow isn't the issue; when I disable that app, I still get the single, long vibration from Hangouts. Has anyone else experienced this issue or know of a solution that I'm somehow missing?

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
That's the first thing I did. It's unchecked under SMS and, for good measure, under both of my two Google accounts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you say it still happens when you disable Light Flow, do you mean you're just turning off Light Flow in its settings? Or are you completely uninstalling it? Try uninstalling Light Flow to see if that might be the culprit.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the troubleshooting help. I just uninstalled Light Flow. No changes, still getting the single buzz. I've also tried uninstalling updates and disabling Hangouts, then reinstalling it. No luck there.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
This must be some sort of bug. I posted over on the Hangouts support forum. Does anyone else with the S5 have the same issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How about the stock Messaging app? It wouldn't make much sense, but maybe it's somehow still active (even though you have SMS set up to go through Hangouts).

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
No dice there either. I just disabled it and still get the single vibration. The guy on the Hangouts support forum said he'd forward the issue onto their team, so I'll report back whatever I hear. I've done some googling and it looks like others have had the same problem in the past few months but I didn't see any solutions unfortunately.

CCT3972

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Vibration is set in two different places ...
Hangouts > Settings> SMS> NOTIFICATIONS: Sound
-and-
Hangouts > Settings> email account> HANGOUT NOTIFICATIONS: Hangout messages & invites

Hope that helps!

rpmm70

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I am on a S4 with Light Flow and I am having the same issue. I have unchecked every vibrate setting in the Hangouts app, but I still get the single long vibrate for SMS