Did you know phone charges faster in airplane mode?

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone else know that your phone will charge twice as fast in airplane mode? I learned that today, tried it and was impressed. Very handy if you're low on time.

just thought I'd share for those that didn't know! cheers.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone charges 2x faster in airplane mode.

I did. Reason behind it is the device no longer spends energy confirming contact with the towers.

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't say twice, but it is far quicker. It's using less processes meaning it's doing less work and using less energy as it recharges.
For a lil extra boost, end all tasks and lower your brightness, and disable features such as Bluetooth and so on.

I will say, using the included charger will often charge my phone from <10% battery to 95% in an hour, and surprisingly the phone isn't hot - hell it's barely warm. I get a full 100% when I put it in airplane mode.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Interesting. I never even thought to try. I think it charges pretty damn fast with the supplied cable anyway but if I'm ever in a rush, I'll give it a whirl.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

Interesting. I never even thought to try. I think it charges pretty damn fast with the supplied cable anyway but if I'm ever in a rush, I'll give it a whirl.

Agreed! I love the wall charger it came with. I just couldn't believe it could charge faster than that.

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I doubt it would have any measurable effect on my phone.

I use MacroDroid to turn the internet OFF every time my screen is locked.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I doubt it would have any measurable effect on my phone.

I use MacroDroid to turn the internet OFF every time my screen is locked.
Lol, really? That would drive me nuts! I don't like waiting for a few seconds for the connection to be established. I can't imagine waiting for that every time I wake my phone.

Macrodroid is neat but I don't find it particularly useful for my needs. The one thing I do like is having all volume levels set to max when it's plugged into a power source. I generally charge my phone overnight and rely on the alarm for waking up.

I really wanted to make it so location/GPS would be turned on when I open MapMyRun but it requires root access. :(

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I leave the GPS on all the time in High Accuracy mode. I have not found that to effect the battery life at all. The only time it is ever used is when an app calls the GPS to get a location update. IMO, you don't need a macro to turn GPS on for your MapMyRun app. Just leave it on all the time. Problem fixed.

Don't know about other folks, but with my phone, by the time I can get my fingers off the Swipe to Unlock and click to open an app, the 4g/3g data path is already up and rarin' to go.

I have NOT ever found any negative issues with turning the Internet OFF when the screen is locked.

What I have noticed, and it was my prime reason for doing so, is that the battery usage while the screen is locked, and the Internet OFF, is something under 0.5 percent/hour.

I don't use chat modes, have no use for anything that wants to notify me that the neighbor next door is giving away their cat.

Blue Mail has updated the message headers about 2 seconds after the screen is unlocked, so waiting on my email has never been an issue. I have email configured to only download the title and the first line of text, so it is fast as greased lightning.

The internet is not required for normal telco and text usage, so why leave it on?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar