Contract w/ Verizon up in November-Can I upgrade sooner??

jaybird28

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I talked to a Verizon rep and he told me I can change phones a week previous to my contract expiring on Nov 14th. One forum I read said Best Buy can make it happen sooner. I want the Galaxy5 now for my iPhone 5 and don't want to wait for November

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about BB. Verizon used to let you update 2-3 months early but have stopped that. But I got my S5 two months prior to my contract being up. I begged :) I've been a loyal customer since 1996 and have never been late with a pymt and used that as my reasoning to allow me to upgrade early. The first rep said she didn't have the power to allow me to do that. I said "I knew you were going to say that so may I speak with a supervisor please?" Instead of a super coming on the line, the rep said the supervisor told her to allow me to upgrade :) So be really nice, use a southern drawl and say PLEEEEEASE. If you've been a long standing customer, use that too :D

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about BB. Verizon used to let you update 2-3 months early but have stopped that. But I got my S5 two months prior to my contract being up. I begged :) I've been a loyal customer since 1996 and have never been late with a pymt and used that as my reasoning to allow me to upgrade early. The first rep said she didn't have the power to allow me to do that. I said "I knew you were going to say that so may I speak with a supervisor please?" Instead of a super coming on the line, the rep said the supervisor told her to allow me to upgrade :) So be really nice, use a southern drawl and say PLEEEEEASE. If you've been a long standing customer, use that too :D

Ditto here for the same reason, I got my S5 six weeks before my contract was up.

I've been with Verizon since '95 or'96ish......
I told them if you don't let me get the S5 on release day, I am gone to AT&T and at that time, I had 5 phones on my account.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Ditto here for the same reason, I got my S5 six weeks before my contract was up.

I've been with Verizon since '95 or'96ish......
I told them if you don't let me get the S5 on release day, I am gone to AT&T and at that time, I had 5 phones on my account.

Or if you want to be brutish about it, you can threaten them like AZgl1500 ;) :p

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
Ask your Verizon rep about the upgrade anytime plan. I don't think that's the actual name, but anyway, I pay an extra 25 bucks per month for my phone when I have paid off 50% of the value, I can automatically upgrade at anytime....meaning I could go in today with 300, pay off my s5 and upgrade to the i6+

Posted via Android Central App

MurrVox

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't due until December but after a Razr MAxx refurb that lasted only 5 months and then a second refurb that lasted just 5 weeks until I had the same issues, I called and basically said "If the issue is ME, like a rogue app or something I'm doing, that's fine-let's fix it and I'll wait until a month out and I'll upgrade then but I know I want to go to an S5 and I REALLY don't want to set up two phones in the span of 2 months." The tier 2 support person was really nice (and we even had a cool conversation about the new iPhones coming out) and she got approval for me to upgrade. So I was able to do it about 3 months early. If you're friendly, polite and reasonable I've found most reps will work with you.

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
If you want to "Edge Up" instead of signing a contract, Verizon is offering through 9/30 to let you upgrade if you are within 12 months of your contract ending.

dlinares90

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It's called Verizon Edge and I highly recommend it for people who want a new phone once a year. I cancelled my contract early with no fees and was able to get any new phone under this plan.

DISCLAIMER: I needed to return my old phone without any damage.

Ask your Verizon rep about the upgrade anytime plan. I don't think that's the actual name, but anyway, I pay an extra 25 bucks per month for my phone when I have paid off 50% of the value, I can automatically upgrade at anytime....meaning I could go in today with 300, pay off my s5 and upgrade to the i6+

deepseadiver

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I talked to a Verizon rep and he told me I can change phones a week previous to my contract expiring on Nov 14th. One forum I read said Best Buy can make it happen sooner. I want the Galaxy5 now for my iPhone 5 and don't want to wait for November

You can update now due to a new promotion out today!

I can't post the link yet but go to android police.

"Verizon has rolled up its handset upgrade schedule to "now" for customers who would have otherwise become eligible for new phones in the next 2 months. To be crystal clear about it: starting*today, all Verizon customers eligible for a handset upgrade on or beforeNovember 15th 2014*are eligible for that upgrade immediately." It doesn't appear to be limited to the iPhone.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

deepseadiver

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Here is an image from a VZW screen shot that states "including the iphone" so it makes me think that it includes several devices.

nexus2cee_WwGvXoS_thumb.jpg

jaybird28

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Well that's great info. My contract is up Nov 14th and my birthday is next week. I'm going to visit Verizon tomorrow and see if this info is correct. I'll report back tomorrow night

jaybird28

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't see why anyone would pay full retail for a phone when they can be bought for $400 less when contract expires but I guess we're all a touch impatient when it comes to technology

jaybird28

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I cant believe it. I went to get my new Galaxy after getting this memo from you guys and I was at the register when they told me my plan expires Nov 18th. I thought it was the 14th. I'm shy 3 days and they wouldn't work with me. I even said its my birthday. Very disappointed. My question is where can I keep my eye out for another promotion like the one shown above? or should I try another Verizon store???

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I cant believe it. I went to get my new Galaxy after getting this memo from you guys and I was at the register when they told me my plan expires Nov 18th. I thought it was the 14th. I'm shy 3 days and they wouldn't work with me. I even said its my birthday. Very disappointed. My question is where can I keep my eye out for another promotion like the one shown above? or should I try another Verizon store???

Have you called Verizon about it versus going to the store?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Bless your heart. The "it's my birthday" would have worked on me (if I could make the call) :)

jaybird28

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
OK-That hurt. Gave up on the call after 20 minutes on hold. Maybe I'll try another store tomorrow? Or should I try one of the kiosks in the Mall. Maybe those gets are a little hungrier???