Comparison photos of iPhone 4s 8MP and Galaxy S5 16MP

whtciv2k

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Heres a comparison between an iPhone 4s 8 MP and the Galaxy s5 16 MP. Both taken from the exact same position within a minute of each other.

iPhone
View attachment 136451

Galaxy
View attachment 136452

Ive tried different settings on the galaxy, and I can't get it to continually take great pictures. Only every so often I will get a good one. This picture here is one of the better ones. I would expect much more with double the MP.
Megapixels have almost nothing to do with actual image quality. The image sensor/processor determines this.

whtciv2k

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
3a2a46b7b3e3fa0ba925737f9e16a6e0.jpg

Pic I took of my dogs.

steve Sharra

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
The way i see it...my wife's iphone 5s you just point and shoot 9 out of 10 times picture comes out good , my s5 and note you have to tinker with the settings and sometimes have to take a scond picture because the first one came out blurry ...dont get me wrong when you focus and change some settings the s5 is hard to beat, but take it out of your pocket and just take pictures iphone all the way...and selfies iphone wins there to...i hope note 4 has a kick *** camera

Posted via the Android Central App

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The way i see it...my wife's iphone 5s you just point and shoot 9 out of 10 times picture comes out good , my s5 and note you have to tinker with the settings and sometimes have to take a scond picture because the first one came out blurry ...dont get me wrong when you focus and change some settings the s5 is hard to beat, but take it out of your pocket and just take pictures iphone all the way...and selfies iphone wins there to...i hope note 4 has a kick *** camera

Posted via the Android Central App

I agree with this assessment, however you can get good pictures in auto mode without changing any of the settings. I don't have a problem taking a few shots, it doesn't take that long and the end results are worth it. Although it might not be as easy to use as the camera on the iPhone 5S, the end result is better. The level of detail on the pics you get with the S5 you just don't get on the iPhone 5S.

I'm sure the OIS on the note 4 will improve things. I don't really take selfies but I'm looking forward to the new wide angle selfie mode on the note 4. I can imagine that it will be good for taking selfies with landmark in the background.

Posted from my S5

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I still think that the S5 beats the 4S in every shot. The only one I might give to that 4S is the low light one but the picture the 4S produced is not that great either.

Posted from my S5

The s5 definitely takes a great picture in well lit areas. It's the darker areas that it has trouble focusing and stabilizing the image. As for comparison, I was just using my old iPhone because I was getting sharper pics more often on the iphone and I couldn't figure out why. Now that I understand the camera better, I know what to expect.

Now that being said, I don't know how the quality of a newer iphone would compare. The 4S is 2 generations behind. I'd be curious to see some photos from an iphone 6.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The s5 definitely takes a great picture in well lit areas. It's the darker areas that it has trouble focusing and stabilizing the image. As for comparison, I was just using my old iPhone because I was getting sharper pics more often on the iphone and I couldn't figure out why. Now that I understand the camera better, I know what to expect.

Now that being said, I don't know how the quality of a newer iphone would compare. The 4S is 2 generations behind. I'd be curious to see some photos from an iphone 6.

It will be hard to beat the S5 outside in good lighting.

Posted from my S5

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The sensor on any digital camera is the most important part of the camera. Not so much the amount of pixels or lens, everything has to come together however. The better sensor, the better picture even if it's a low pixel camera.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Philtronic

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I think you're missing the point. My iPhone 4S is 3 years old with only 8 MP. My galaxy is 1.5 months old with a 16 MP camera. In my opinion it should blow the iphone camera out of the water. The pictures don't look that different, and I always have a hard time getting a clear picture.

It's about sensor size, not MP...
Big sensor with less MP is always better than small sensor with a lot of MP.

Phil.

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's about sensor size, not MP...
Big sensor with less MP is always better than small sensor with a lot of MP.

Phil.
As an experienced photographer of nearly 50 years both with film and digital , I can tell you this is true up to a point.. The rendering engine in any digital camera makes all the difference. You can have a high end lens and larger sensor but if the rendering engine isn't up to par the images can be fair to poor..
Now combine a good lens, sensor, and rendering engine and you have a good camera capable of high end imaging.
My personal tests comparing the iPhone 5S and Galaxy S5 tells be the Galaxy has the overall edge..
The Galaxy even beat the fool out of the iPhone in high ISO shooting with much less noise than the iPhone. In fact high ISO with the iPhone shows it to be a very poor shooter in that respect. Average shooting in well lit shots to Galaxy showed cleaner sharper detail in both highlight areas and the mid to low zones..
As another poster has pointed out MP don't really matter.. An 8MP camera is every bit as capable as a 16MP camera. It's what I posted above that really matters..