What's rooting on Galaxy S5 and how do I do it?

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Alrighty. So I thought I got a version that wouldn't work in the USA. Turns out, the G900F factory unlocked works fine in the US.

Anywho, the warranty is only available in Singapore, which means I don't give a carp about voiding it. Am I ever going to be able to "walk in" for service? Nope.

Bottom line, it came with some stuff on it called MySingTel and some wallet feature app. At first I was concerned that I was going to be hit with fees because the company is overseas, but when I checked settings it was all cool, no roaming, no nothing so I guess I'm good.

I probably at some point (and undoubtedly just now) said something insufferably dumb, which is why I've come here. I need help.

I heard that rooting your phone can make you able to get rid of files and things that are not able to be uninstalled otherwise.
I want that SingTel stuff gone. How do I do this without bricking my phone?

Last edited:

steve Sharra

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: What's rooting and how do I do it?

If you never rooted before i suggest if you have a older android device like a s3 play with that until you get use to rooting...they have a lot of info if you google it and read...but like i said practice on a older device if you can

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Alrighty. So I thought I got a version that wouldn't work in the USA. Turns out, the G900F factory unlocked works fine in the US.

Anywho, the warranty is only available in Singapore, which means I don't give a carp about voiding it. Am I ever going to be able to "walk in" for service? Nope.

Bottom line, it came with some stuff on it called MySingTel and some wallet feature app. At first I was concerned that I was going to be hit with fees because the company is overseas, but when I checked settings it was all cool, no roaming, no nothing so I guess I'm good.

I probably at some point (and undoubtedly just now) said something insufferably dumb, which is why I've come here. I need help.

I heard that rooting your phone can make you able to get rid of files and things that are not able to be uninstalled otherwise.
I want that SingTel stuff gone. How do I do this without bricking my phone?

Couple things to look over: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

There is no magic in root | Android Central

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

If you never rooted before i suggest if you have a older android device like a s3 play with that until you get use to rooting...they have a lot of info if you google it and read...but like i said practice on a older device if you can

Posted via the Android Central App

Yup, or at the very least have a friend who has been there, done that, and is aware of what NOT to do.

I've considered rooting my phones ever since the smart phone came out, I've yet to do it because I simply cannot afford the cost to replace a dumbly bricked phone.

Am I unable to do some things? Yes
do I really need to be able to do those things? Probably not

I would love to unload all of the crap bloatware out of my phone's ROM, but, I have never exceeded the memory limits of my phone yet..... and the S5 allows us to turn bloatware OFF anyway, so ROOT is not a panacea.

IMO, unless you are a techo geek and really savvy about Android/Unix, you best forget about ROOT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz