Has anyone tried Verizon VoLTE on their S5?

Shawn Hepler

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Verizon VoLTE (voice over LTE)

Didn't work for me. Ruined my ability to make or receive phone calls all day. Verizon swore a factory reset would help but like I tried to tell them it did not. I had to decline the hd calling through the Verizon website to get calling abilities back. Found it funny how no-one not even the manager at the corporate store knew a single thing about VoLTE being available or how to help.

Same here except that I was able to call out and send and receive txt. Incoming calls got "This number has been disconnected or changed". Talked to Tier 2 tech support and after about an hour he removed the advanced calling and it calls started coming in. Told me to try again in a week,

ArtBadams

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Modem at $ 30.00 a month for I believe 5 MG of data. I do no use the hotspot on my Galaxy S4 because I cannot take calls when I am online on my laptop. With the new VoLTE would I be able to bag the modem and use the hot spot on my new Sony Z3v and take calls? Thanks for your help!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
have not used this feature yet, but I did notice that now that HD Voice is enabled, the Data flickers once in a while even though Wifi is connected.

Turning DATA off though stops that action.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed a white noise in the background when the person on the other end talks? It happens with non-HD callers but not sure about LTE callers. I can hear it when I call my own voicemail, too. If I disable LTE calling the sound stops.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I disabled it. My battery was draining much faster and I can confirm it wasn't a rogue application. The call quality of any calls not done through LTE sounded awful and is much better when I turned the feature off.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I disabled it. My battery was draining much faster and I can confirm it wasn't a rogue application. The call quality of any calls not done through LTE sounded awful and is much better when I turned the feature off.

me too, nobody in my contact list has that feature, so why bother to have it turned on at all?

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Just got it working and wow very noticeable difference in voice quality. Amazing... Anyone know now that the voice is going over the digital Network is it considered data and will all the HD calls/2 way Video get charged against our monthly data limit?

EDIT: Just read this : http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-starts-rolling-out-volte-only-2-phones-start/2014-09-17

Is that actually true? 6-8 MB of data a minute for an HD video call? and it gets charged to our data plan.

well with 4 phones using it, our 10GB a month will go over well before 30 days.. so much for using video calling.. Can't find anywhere on the Verizon site that says that.. I hope this is not true.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I feel like my battery life on my S5 is draining far too fast even though I now disabled the feature within the phone. Maybe I have to take it off my account too but I'm not sure. I'm down to 60% battery after 5 hours of off the charger and 1 hour talk/1 hour screen. That seems worse than it should be. I normally hit 5 hours display in a charge but I won't even come close this time.

Update ----

I'm nearing 2 hours of display time and I'm at 40% battery. I'll be lucky to make 3 and a half hours when I could easily reach 5 before. What the heck... I disabled it and rebooted.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Final line -

10 Hours awake
3 hours 15 minute screen on
1 hour talk

Battery at 5%. It has drained much quicker since the update that allowed this feature. It drained even quicker with LTE calling enabled. I used to hit:

1 hour 30 min call
4 hours 30 to 5 hours display time
And I'd still have about 10% battery. So something is draining it and Android System is of course the big drain. Anyone else?

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I didn't notice a drop in battery at all over the past day, but I did drop calls this morning so I switched it back. First time dropping calls in over a year.