How to view Photo Albums from other apps in one Gallery?

jolcoracer

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Short Question:
Like with the S4, I would like to view Photos and Folders from my camera, Facebook Photo Albums, My Instagram Photos, etc in one gallery on my S5.
1) Should I go back to S4?
2) Can I root the phone and downgrade to OS 4.2 and utilize the previous Gallery design?
3) Any recommendations for a particular app?

Long Complaint:
I just "jumped" from S4 to S5 and the Gallery feature is horrible and completely useless when trying to organize photos with other apps. With the S4 I was able to view my individual Facebook Photo Albums, Dropbox Photos/Subfolders, Picasa Albums, and Instagram photos in the native Gallery app. Wonderful, a one stop source to view all things photos!

With the S5 I can no longer view ANY of my Instagram photos from the native gallery app and all photos from Facebook/Dropbox/Picasa are lumped into one folder respectively with no Album/Subfolder organization. My Facebook Folder has all my Facebook photos in random order which makes it useless to search/view with several hundred photos. Dropbox and Picasa have their individual folders as well with the difference that the photos seem to be categorized by time; at least.

Some have said there are work arounds. Well, accessing the individual Gallery, Facebook App, Instagram App, Picassa App, Dropbox App to view all things photos is not a work around; it's **** poor design by Samsung and an inefficient use of technology. Quickpic does not allow you to view your Facebook, Instagram, Picassa Photos/Albums/Photos. It has a slightly better UI over the native gallery app and maintains the same limitations.

The finger print scanner so far has been useless. Scanning few times to unlock your phone is, again, poor design and a waste of time.

The heart rate monitor is interesting as it offers several different results in a short period of time. I guess my heart rate is going up just by using this "next best thing."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! In regard to not being able to see the Instagram photo in your Gallery--can you use your file manager app and look for the folder where the Instagram photos are? Look for a file called ".nomedia"--if it's there, then it's preventing the system's Media Scanner from adding those photos to the Gallery. Try deleting it.

jolcoracer

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
The Instagram file folder is empty.

I hear the newest android OS does not permit sub folders in most apps because there is a security vulnerability that can allow one app to access information from another app.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-19-16-29-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-19-16-29-45.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 8

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's the external SD card--what about the Internal Storage? Is there a /Picture/Instagram folder there?

jolcoracer

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for chiming in guys, appreciate the assistance. I do not have an instagram sub folder under pictures in file manager. Only two folders from gallery; screen shots and a folder I made.

I included a screen shot of my existing gallery. As you can see all my FB and Picassa photos are lumped into one folder each. The FB photos are in random order. In FB I have several albums. In Picassa the phitis are in chronilogical order. Neither folder allows me to select options for Time or Album.

In S4 my gallery mirrored my FB albums, Picassa, Instagram for easy access and scrolling.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-19-18-29-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-19-18-29-23.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2014-09-19-18-30-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-19-18-30-54.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member