AT&T "Security" update blocks towelroot!!!!

CKR83

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, I just got this nice, shiny new Galaxy S5 (which I'm about to try and return to AT&T) only to discover that KitKat crippled it. One of the major things I got this phone for was the ability to use the SD card. Not employ work arounds, not use the crappy "My Files" software to manage my files, but to actually use the device.

So I decided to root the thing. Yeah. Well, since I JUST got this phone, it has the latest in "Security" features -- and towelroot will not work. It's also my understand that towelroot will no longer be updated. My rom is dated July 17th, so I'm screwed.

I might be forced to keep this phone, but unless things REALLY change, I'll never, EVER buy another droid again.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
So what are you going to buy? An iPhone? LOL. You'll still have no SD card, no file manager and you won't be able to do anything with it until they jailbreak iOS 8, which won't be for like 3 months.

CKR83

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
So what am I going to do? Dunno. the Galaxy is a nice machine, but it's crippled. The SD card issue might not ever be fixed and the thing's only got 16 gig of memory and the SD card is essentially read-only. Not even ES File Explorer works correctly. So yeah, laugh all you want, but I *CAN* get a 128 GB iPhone, and I won't NEED a file manager. That's not the solution that I want, but it might be the direction I go.

Last edited:

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
So what am I going to do? Dunno. the Galaxy is a nice machine, but it's crippled. The SD card issue might not ever be fixed and the thing's only got 16 gig of memory and the SD card is essentially read-only. Not even ES File Explorer works correctly. So yeah, laugh all you want, but I *CAN* get a 128 GB iPhone, and I won't NEED a file manager. That's not the solution that I want, but it might be the direction I go.

I'm assuming that you're bummed out that you can't store apps on the SD card? I agree, that is very unfortunate. However, I find it quite sufficient to just store my apps on the phone and all of my media (pictures, videos and music) on the SD card. I love having the file manager as well. I can actually download something and store it where I want, unlike an iPhone. Jellybean was much better in that you had more freedom with the SD card. I've read that "L" will address the issues with SD cards but I could be mistaken.

You're right that you can buy a 128 GB iPhone but you're going to pay a ridiculous amount of money for it.

In regards to towelroot, I think I read somewhere that Google bought him off or something so he won't be updating it. LOL. Someone else will surely find a way to root our devices though. I'm guessing much sooner than they find a jailbreak for iOS8.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I just got this nice, shiny new Galaxy S5 (which I'm about to try and return to AT&T) only to discover that KitKat crippled it. One of the major things I got this phone for was the ability to use the SD card. Not employ work arounds, not use the crappy "My Files" software to manage my files, but to actually use the device.

So I decided to root the thing. Yeah. Well, since I JUST got this phone, it has the latest in "Security" features -- and towelroot will not work. It's also my understand that towelroot will no longer be updated. My rom is dated July 17th, so I'm screwed.

I might be forced to keep this phone, but unless things REALLY change, I'll never, EVER buy another droid again.

A droid? I thought you have a S5... Fyi, droid is a Motorola phone, and Android is the os - big difference

Posted via Android Central App

CKR83

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm assuming that you're bummed out that you can't store apps on the SD card? I agree, that is very unfortunate. However, I find it quite sufficient to just store my apps on the phone and all of my media (pictures, videos and music) on the SD card. I love having the file manager as well. I can actually download something and store it where I want, unlike an iPhone. Jellybean was much better in that you had more freedom with the SD card. I've read that "L" will address the issues with SD cards but I could be mistaken.

You're right that you can buy a 128 GB iPhone but you're going to pay a ridiculous amount of money for it.

In regards to towelroot, I think I read somewhere that Google bought him off or something so he won't be updating it. LOL. Someone else will surely find a way to root our devices though. I'm guessing much sooner than they find a jailbreak for iOS8.

No, I don't care about running apps off the card. What I care about is the data access TO the card -- things like editing documents on the card, using encryption programs on the card etc. You know, like I can on my android tablet -- which is jellybean. It's because the tablet (a Galaxy Note 8) that I moved away from the iPhone and bought the Galaxy S5.

L is _supposed_ to address these issues, but A) who knows when it'll be out, and B) even when it DOES come out, who knows if AT&T will actually do something like, you know, push the update out.

Yes, I also read that google bought off the guy who wrote towelroot.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

download Odin, get a copy of the original firmware available from several sources, one of which is * Firmwares | SamMobile

then install the OEM virgin firmware and towelroot to your heart's content.

CKR83

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
download Odin, get a copy of the original firmware available from several sources, one of which is * Firmwares | SamMobile

then install the OEM virgin firmware and towelroot to your heart's content.

Thanks for those links, but I don't think that's going to work. I could be wrong, but here's what I'm thinking:
The latest AT&T "Security" update locks the boot loader, and I was under the impression that you need an unlocked boot loader to use ODIN. Am I wrong about that?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance