All S5 phones have severe screen burn-in at Verizon corporate store, can it happen to my S5?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I was at the local Verizon corporate store to buy a case for my
niece's new iPhone 6 Plus. There were 14 people ahead of me
when I walked in the door and the VZW told me the wait was
about 35 minutes.

As I was browsing store, I played with the S5 on display. (same
S5 as mine) I thought i was seeing seeing swhen the screen
had orange letters and graphics all over it. I opened a browser
page which was blank and realized that what I was seeing was
severe burn-in of the SuperAMOLED screen. The letters and
graphics were from the demo screens that was used for the
display S5. I walked to another corner and saw the same problem
on another S5 and the Note 3 next to it.

An employees became free and help me pay for the iPhone case.
I pointed to the S5 and the screen burn-in. She said they were
aware of it, since many customers had pointed it out to them. They
will be getting several new S5 and Note 3 phones to replace the
burn-in phones.

I've seen my fair share of smartphones at the Verizon corporate
store over the last few years. I do not recall ever seeing such
several burn-in on smarphones of any brand(not even the older
Samsung phones)

The employees said that if my S5 somehow gets the burn-in, it
will be covered by the warranty. Really? I sure wish she would
put that in writing for me. :) A couple of years ago, my 46" Sony
XBR LCD TV had a really bad case of burn-in that couldn't be
cured. Sony denied the warranty claim. (not that I blame them,
because I was the one who left the TV on with DVR menu displayed
on the screen after I fell asleep)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a bit concerning, but in general, I imagine your typical use would not include allowing a static image to remain on the screen for long periods of time, right? So I would guess that the risk of burn-in for real world use would be minimal.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
The employees said that if my S5 somehow gets the burn-in, it
will be covered by the warranty. Really? I sure wish she would
put that in writing for me. :)
It all depends who replaces your device. Verizon usually ships another out to your house without much fuss. A retail exchange may be harder.

Burn in on AMOLED is a major issue. A lot of manufacturers with AMOLED screens have moved to transparent/semi-transparent system bars and soft key bars to try and reduce this problem. My old RAZR MAXX HD would burn in within a month or so of having it. Full screen videos would minimize it though.

Just one more reason I'll never own an AMOLED device again.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Burn in on AMOLED is a major issue. A lot of manufacturers with AMOLED screens have moved to transparent/semi-transparent system bars and soft key bars to try and reduce this problem. My old RAZR MAXX HD would burn in within a month or so of having it. Full screen videos would minimize it though.

Just one more reason I'll never own an AMOLED device again.

I've never had that problem.

but, I seldom ever leave anything on the screen for very long because I am reading, writin' or Rithmatic .... just being funny, but I never have the same static screen on my phone for more than a few minutes at most.

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I noticed this too when at the store on the S5. I didn't notice it on the older iphones. Even if it is more prone, I figure I'm not letting the screen stay on any single image long enough to burn in.

Cincojoe

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I saw the same thing at BB stores. It's becuase people play with the settings all the time and leave the screens on for a long period of time. The one I was looking at had really bad burn in. So I checked the settings and screen timeout was set at 10 mins and screen brightness is at 100%. im sure those settings do some damage over time. I was talking to the Samsung guy and he said they want them at 100% becuas it "wows" the customers.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
100% is a nice wow factor, but even at 25%, this S5 is bright enough to see in daylight.

I just leave mine on AutoMatic

Resendetra

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I could see this happening to someone that left the screen on the same image all day without turning it off. But for a normal user, the burn in effect probably would never happen. As for the 100% brightness, I guess that could be a wow factor for new customers. It wowed me for 5 minutes, until I got into the dark and went blind from the bright screen. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I could see this happening to someone that left the screen on the same image all day without turning it off. But for a normal user, the burn in effect probably would never happen. As for the 100% brightness, I guess that could be a wow factor for new customers. It wowed me for 5 minutes, until I got into the dark and went blind from the bright screen. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk

or leaving the navigation app with screen on during a 7-hour roadtrip to Denver, like I did last month..... it was only 3 hours into the trip that I realized the navigation app had crashed and the screen was frozen. I had to do a battery pull to restart it. Fortunately, there was no burn-in that i could detect, but imagine that I left it like that for the entire 7-hour trip....

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this too when at the store on the S5. I didn't notice it on the older iphones. Even if it is more prone, I figure I'm not letting the screen stay on any single image long enough to burn in.

The corporate store manager said "that's why you should trade up to iPhones instead because they never get burn-ins that badly"

I guess Verizon makes more money from iPhone sales? It seems like all the Verizon stores or phone reps always push iPhones really hard, even when they know all the phones on my account are Android phones.

zuhloobie

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but I have burn-in with my S5. Basically when the notification bar auto-hides, I see a white opaque bar across the top (about 1/4" tall at the top). It shows up on all apps. Called Verizon and they took me through the troubleshooting. Pain in the **** and they said I had to do a factory reset, which blows. BUT...one of the trouble shooting steps was to turn off the phone and see if the white bar appeared when the solid red Verizon splash screen appears on restart. It did and the rep said I don't have to do a factory reset. BUT...I was sent to the "next level support" guy and he said I had to do a factory reset and then contact him again. So that sucks. Obviously, the problem was still there so they are replacing my phone for free and I should have it tomorrow :) Hate that I have to do factory resets when it's clearly not going to help, but hey...free phone. This phone is a few years old too.

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue, you can clearly see the app drawer and email icons on the screen when a changing screens. My S5 was purchased at the November of 2014. I will try going to a Verizon store and see what they will do. This is somewhat disappointing to say the least.

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Update to my last post. I am in the process of setting up my refurbished S5. Since I had insurance this is a no cost in dollars, just time set up. Anyone out there use smart switch. I figured I needed to get my new phone to marshmallow before the restore. Was I wrong? it came with 5.0 on it. oh well in the process of downloading the update then I will run smart switch and restore from SMS back up too

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Another Update
Pretty much back, smart switch does not back up all app data, but a lot of it.
So far so good, did update to marshmallow before the restore

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22