My quest for a good news aggregator

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying for some time to find a decent news aggregator. Something that I can pick my favorite sources from, and read them on the train during my 90-minute (in each direction) commute. My must-haves are:
1) I can pick from a variety of sources.
2) The app has a widget that will draw from most of those sources
3) A fair number of settings to control font size, etc.

What I've tried so far:

Google Play Newsstand
Wasn't bad, but the widget was fairly rudimentary, and it gave me sources I didn't care about.

Flipboard
Annoying.

Pulse (the old one)
Force closed like crazy on my old Moto

Taptu
VERY promising, but it was a bandwidth hog. When I changed it to only download once in the morning over Wi-Fi, the articles would "expire" by noon and I'd have nothing to read. The widget was fantastic, but no matter what size I made it, it would snap back to 4x2 within a day.

Pulse (LinkedIn)
Not bad, but the widget is horrific, and you need one widget for every stream.

Feedly (currently trying this).
So far it's ok. Like pulse, the widget is also quite unfortunate. The settings are also pretty limited.

What news reader do you use, and how do you like it?

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
on iPhone i used to use Reeder 2 ( best experience), on S5 i use feedly now, like you have tried all but settled on feedly as it is very fast and few diff option to display, like magzine style , titile, cards etc. don't use widget sorry.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I just installed FeedEx. On the plus side, the widget is great. On the minus side, it's a pain to set up because you have to search for sources and add them one at a time. BUT, it accepts exports from Feedly, so I can just set up my feeds in Feedly first, export them, then import them into FeedEx.

So far it's working pretty well. It could use a few more options (like a scheduler to fetch articles at a set time) but overall it's a good, slim, readable app. I might try creating a llama event to fetch articles in the morning.

Rick Esenwine

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I went from using Flipboard for a long time to using Feedly. With Flipboard, I seemed to be using an inordinate amount of data; with Feedly, I am able to check more sites/stories using far less data. I do not consider myself a "power user" and find that Feedly works very well for my needs. I do not use the widget.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463