Voice Mail Update Notification Won't Go Away

Dukefrukem

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
How do I get rid of this???? every time I swipe it away or clear it, it comes back! It just started this morning.

I dont use voice mail I use GOOGLE VOICE.

By4eA_TCcAAh7zr.jpg:large

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
What happens when you tap it? I realize you aren't using it but I don't think it cares. Tap it and set and be done. It shouldn't change anything for your Voice setup.

Dukefrukem

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
What happens when you tap it? I realize you aren't using it but I don't think it cares. Tap it and set and be done. It shouldn't change anything for your Voice setup.

When I tap it, it asks me to sign up for Verizon's visual voicemail service. If I hit cancel it just goes back to the notification screen.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Are you both new customers or recently renewed your contact? I'm not sure I got the visual voice mail one but I got city ID over and over but it did give me the option to not see it again. Try disabling the app in your app manager, under settings.

Posted via Android Central App

dphoust

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Are you both new customers or recently renewed your contact? I'm not sure I got the visual voice mail one but I got city ID over and over but it did give me the option to not see it again. Try disabling the app in your app manager, under settings.

Posted via Android Central App

Not a new user, I just updated the software and this started happening. I dont want the visual voicemail, as I use youmail.

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely false. My advice was given to you via experience, not opinion. The cost is for the transcription service, not basic visual voicemail.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Not a new user, I just updated the software and this started happening. I dont want the visual voicemail, as I use youmail.

So don't use it . But you still need to set it up or you will get the notice every time you reboot the phone . It's that simple .

Bob_in_RI

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
The app asking you to accept its EULA is both the basic (free) voicemail app and the enhanced (costly and stupid) visual voicemail app. Just accept the EULA and then pull down the 3-dot menu and cancel the free trial. All done.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the problem with my S5 but we just bought my husband one last week and can't get the notification to go away. He doesn't want Basic Visual Voice Mail. I can't get it to leave us alone! LOL Don't recall having this problem when I got my S5 in May. I'll try Bob's tip when my husband get's home but I "think" I already tried that. But Why should I have to agree to something (EULA) that we're not going to use?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
So I called Verizon a few days ago to finally get rid of the Visual Voice Mail notification on my husband's phone. When I hung up, I had successfully signed him up for Basic VVM :confused: TS said that the app icon for voice mail (red/orange answering machine reel) IS the Visual Voice Mail app. I finally gave up and agreed with him. He (temporarily) convinced me DH would like it better. OK already! Fine, whatever! :) I go back and show DH what his VM is going to look like. Was he ok with it? He loves it :D I just don't understand why I don't have this issue changing to Basic VVM on my S5.

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I had all sorts of problems with Verizon's VVM. I had taken the 30 day trial and then cancelled it. I just prefer my plain vanilla *86 message retrieval. Last week I began to get notifications that my VM account was not set up and to call the Verizon CS number and give a 9991 code. It was showing up whenever the phone booted up. I called Verizon and spent over 45 minutes on the phone with a tech support person. She tried every combination of enabling/blocking the VVM and restoring the basic VM but in each case, either the above showed up or when the VVM app opened, another account setup message came up. I finally had to leave the free VVM enabled but to not access a message from the notification list since the VVM app is the default when it's enabled. I clear the notification and just use my home screen's voice mail direct dial shortcut to dial *86. It's a workaround but it should not be necessary. All of this nonsense started when an update was pushed to the phone sometime back and despite numerous complaints, Verizon has yet to fix it. The techie agreed that we should have the option to turn off VVM completely but her corporate masters do not seem to agree. I read somewhere that using VVM is actually cheaper for Verizon than calling to get your messages. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. Maybe Verizon is vying with Comcast for the worst service title.

Last edited:

TexHorseDoc

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the same problem with the phone I activated last week. Spent an hour on the phone with tech and still not resolved. It won't set up at all, gets an error message every time but the most annoying issue is that it prompts me to set it up about 50 times a day. I guess I'll have to make the pilgrimage to the Verizon store to get it tuned off or something. What is a good alternate voicemail app?

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I got rid of it by opening the app drawer, long pressing the voice mail app and dragging it to the disable tab at the top. I'm using a note 3 running 4.4.2 it's been gone for a week now.

Talkshow27

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I got my S5 in September, I had this s happen after it rejected it's 1st SIM card 6 days in. I got extremely annoyed with this notification and after 3 consecutive trips in 3 days I have visual voice mail completely removed from my line so I would never have to deal with it again since I've never used it and had it harass my last 3 phones. Day 4 and that yielded no results and I went back they couldn't figure it out and I couldn't either after scouring here for a solution. The Verizon guy said he "put a note in to Verizon" as this had happened after I updated my (2 week old) phone. After about a week it just stopped, I had tried turning all voice mail notifications off, disabling voice mail nothing worked. Fast forward about 3 months and My auto rotation starts flaking out on me. For over a week I had to restart it daily to get it working for 1/2 a day or so. Finally I go in to BB to the Samsung rep. And ask for help, again with no real results on here. After 30 min. of trying this and that she called Samsung the wanted me to try a "home factory reset" since I had already had to factory reset the phone 3 times by this point for other bs issues I asked what was going to happen tomorrow when it does it again. She said the next step would be to send it off to Samsung for repair & I'd have to give it up for about 2 weeks. Not pleased I leave pissed. I got home dropped it on my kitchen table and cracked the screen. After I had called Samsung for repairs they told me the crack was no problem it was under warranty since it was 3 months old. So I send it off happy I don't have to spend $160 and file an insurance claim. 6 days later I get an email in my spam box (a the rest had made it to my inbox via my Samsung account ) and it said I had to pay $161.29 since my warranty was void due to the cracked screen. Really pissed now I argue with them and debate if I should pay for a refurbished insurance claim phone or fix it. I td them i didn't care about the screen just fix the screen rotation issue but the rep told me "oh no we don't do that we're all or nothing here" I eventually hung up on him and the next day I finally cave in and pay them to fix it. While doing so I told them "I have no faith that the actual problem is going to be fixed" as they were hung up on the cracked screen and wouldn't acknowledge anything beyond that. They were arrogantly assuming that the crack was the cause of my problems. That was Dec. 26th I got it back on Dec. 30th after 12 days of using my last phone. I had the phone back and powered on for about an hour and by the time I got to the Verizon store to hook it up. While I was waiting I installed my SD card and (3rd) SIM card and realized it wasn't fixed at all other than a $161 screen, 2 stupid stickers and a new battery cover since apparently they are accessories. Furious I call Samsung and lay into anyone I can for the BS that is Samsung support. I liked getting a new alternator for your car to my phone in that if it were a defective alternator I would be given a new one on the spot. I wouldn't be required to send it in and be without for 2 weeks. This was too much for them to grasp and I was constantly told "we don't give replacements we fix them" After about 10 calls attempting to reach the highest level possible I finally got a glimmer of hope and was td since it works after restarting it was likely a software issues and a reflash should solve the problem. That night I went into best buy and had it done. I was told it was working and left without looking at it. When I got home 10 minutes later it wasn't working. The rep I had spoken with was going to call me back to confirm it fixed it and he did. After I filled him in I had agreed to ship it back 1 last time with the promise that the 3rd time it would have a bullet hole in it. The 3 reason I did this was 1 it was free. 2 they were going to replace the motherboard and 3 it was only going to be 5 bus. days total. I mailed it off 1/2/15. It got there 1/5 and wasn't looked at until 1/6 online it's estimated repair date said 1/13 irate I called ******** up a storm. Eventually I got transferred to Advanced support who could expedite the service like it was supposed to be in the first place. They argued with me that they couldn't possibly fix it in less than 72 hours and they would never say that it could. I hung up saying you have 48 hours then and another 24 to get it to me. They aaid I have it by 1/14. The next morning shocki4it was delivered by 10am no signature required with a hot delivery sticker attached to it. It's been working this far but this annoying update is back.

Posted via the Android Central App