64 GB micro sdxc,media draining battery

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Wondering if anyone can help, bought new 64 GB card, formatted it, transferred data from old card and all is good but media process is draining battery like hell since.

Checked online and issue seems to be SD card still scanning card for media and to delete any 0 KB files, did that and reformatted card (exfat) and again same issue.

If I put back 32 GB card ( old) problem seems to go away.

Phone was running very hot yesterday due to this.

Any idea?

Posted via the Android Central App

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks done that. No issue.

Could it be issue with exfat instead of fat32?
Do you recommend formatting to fat32? I have inserted my old card and prob seems to go away, only thing I added on new card is delete some music, added some and added some pics.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Samsung often seems to have problems with SD cards, especially larger ones. exFAT is supposed to work on Samsung devices, but it might be worth formatting the 64 GB card to FAT32 to see how it works. The main drawback is that you can't have files >4 GB in size with FAT32.

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Nothing solved, as a experiment I switched to Art runtime and media is gone, will keep it like for few days and will try to switch back to dalvik to check.

Thanks for your help!

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I will post back update in case some one else is in same boat.

I deleted all pics and music i transferred and switched to ART, which solved the issue, then i switched back to Dalvik, issue is no more.
Today i transferred the pic and music again on my SD card and issue came back, I noticed 1 thing during transfer as all pic and videos were taken on iPhone, it prompted me to convert and i said yes but media kept draining, so i figured out issue would be with the video.

I just deleted all videos and kept pics and issue is no more, so it was some iPhone mov which was stuck on media scanner, maybe samsung doesn't play well with iphone movies.

Hope this helps.