Unable to use Google Play ringtones?

Heywood Jablomee

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, I just switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S5 this past Monday. I transferred all of my music from iTunes to Google Play and have no music or files in the Galaxy music player. Yesterday, I downloaded a ringtone from Google Play but I'm unable to get the ringtone in my phones ringtone library. If I go into the Google Play player, the ringtone is there and I'm able to play it.

I have done multiple Google searches and watched YouTube videos and could not find any remedy. What I have found says to go into the Galaxy player to make a song a ringtone but all my music and the ringtone I downloaded is in Google Play and I don't know how to get the files into the Galaxy music player. There's no option to make a copy of the ringtone or file. When I go into the phones files, the ringtone is not available under downloads, music, or ringtones. I downloaded ringtone maker and I still can't get the ringtone there.

On a side note, is there any app or anything else that is recommended to get ringtones? I really like this phone but this issue does make me miss iTunes since I could easily download a ringtone and it would show up in my sound choices for ringtones.

I know this is a lot but if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The thing about Google Play Music is that if you download a song directly from the app, it can only be accessed by the Google Play Music app--so you can't use it for a ringtone. In order to do that, you would need to download the song onto your computer from your Google Music Library on your computer browser. Then transfer that music file to your phone's Ringtones folder via USB.

Zedge is a good source for ringtones.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
If you want to use a Google play music track as a ringtone you have to pay for that specific track, so you can download it as an mp3. If you just pay monthly you cannot do it easily.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sam Conover

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Just open google play in Chrome Browser go to my music select song the tap the 3 dots (next to the song length numbers) and tap download. Now you can go to sounfs/ringtones/add and the mp3 will be there

Tamjwel

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
(Just open google play in Chrome Browser go to my music select song the tap the 3 dots (next to the song length numbers) and tap download. Now you can go to sounfs/ringtones/add and the mp3 will be there)
Sam,
What is the url to get to the proper website from chrome?

Beki Thomson

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Just open google play in Chrome Browser go to my music select song the tap the 3 dots (next to the song length numbers) and tap download. Now you can go to sounfs/ringtones/add and the mp3 will be there

This is not working for me. I purchased and downloaded a track in Google Play Music on my S5. It does not show up when I go to sound>ringtones>add.
Thanks.

Gt R

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Beki,

Like the early posts in this thread stated, if you want that song for a ringtone, you have to log into a computer using the same Gmail account you have for Google Play.

You will see the the track in My Library.
You can click on that track to display it
Right click on it and chose "Download Album " or it may say "Download Track" and then it downloads in a zip file to your computer's Download folder.
Unzip it and place it in whatever location you want on the computer.
Plug in your phone using the USB cable part of your charging adapter that came with your phone.
Locate the track on your computer and right click on the track and chose "send to" your phone
It will add to your phone's music folder and from there you can add it as a ringtone.
I know this works because I just did it for the first time myself today on my Galaxy S5. :)
-Greg

Last edited:

jetplane

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I use Airdroid to transfer them from my pc to my phone (no cables needed) be sure to put them in the folder /systems/media/audio/notifications. They then come up in my list.

shantcarr

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I found this work around that works for me on my Galaxy s4 active running version 5.0.1. You don't have to jailbreak or root. No hooking up to the computer...and no other apps needed. just copying the song to the right folder.

First....i stored my downloaded music to my SD card. (make sure you have actually downloaded the purchased songs to your phone....you have to press the pushpin icon and wait for it to download to your phone) You can do this by going to Play app...settings...storage location and choosing "external". It took a min or 2 but my music was moved over to my SD card. You only have to do this part once.

After that....I went to the icon "My Files". Click on SD.....Android....data.... then com.google.android.music folder......files....music

All my music files were numbered. I knew the main songs that I wanted to set as ringtones were the last that I purchased. So I went to the bottom. Click on it to preview the file to see what song it is. (if you press and hold you can choose to rename the file to the song name if you want or just remember what # it is). Press and hold and then choose Copy.

After this....the options are SD or Device. I chose Device.....Ringtones....then hit the "paste here" that's at the top.

After that, the song appears in your ringtones. if you renamed it, it will appear under the song name. Not as daunting as it sounds. I searched for months....gave up several times....considered returning to the iphone darkside.....but now that I figured this out...it's all good Gina.

Kathy Brauner

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I still cannot get a song that I bought on the play store app to go to my ringtones. I am so frustrated. It is in my play music app but there is no option to set as ringtone. I tried logging on to my g-mail account on my desktop computer and downloading to a zipped file. I don't know how to unzip the file, the song is on my iTunes in three places now and none of the three will let me send to my phone. All previous androids would let any downloaded songs go to ringtones, why not the S5? Please help! Thanks, Kathy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol