S5 Major overheating!

Merlin Woodhouse

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys!

So my lovely S5 I have owned for about 4-6 months now and in the past week it's taken to draining the battery in under 3 hours even on ultra saving mode. It gets massively hot on the right back side of the phone opposite to where the battery is located (Just below the lock button but on the rear). The only way to stop the phone getting hot enough to make my leg hot and sweat is to turn it off for a few hours and let it cool right off.

Sometimes it will be fine for an entire day but others it will not stop trying to set my leg on fire for all intensive purposes. This results in having to have the phone off all day until I need to use it (Which is most unhelpful at work as I use it to contact my boss e.t.c I might add)

All of the time that I have owned it, It has been fine. It's only started doing this in the last week. In the time it has taken me to write this it has drained 3% battery. Any Ideas?

Edit 1: Seems that Avast Anti Virus is at 38% which is around its norm but Google play services is at 34% and I cannot force stop which seems.. Odd..

Screen Time says it is 9s.

Battery Time is below

iz1RGqi.jpg

Last edited:

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys!

So my lovely S5 I have owned for about 4-6 months now and in the past week it's taken to draining the battery in under 3 hours even on ultra saving mode. It gets massively hot on the right back side of the phone opposite to where the battery is located (Just below the lock button but on the rear). The only way to stop the phone getting hot enough to make my leg hot and sweat is to turn it off for a few hours and let it cool right off.

Sometimes it will be fine for an entire day but others it will not stop trying to set my leg on fire for all intensive purposes. This results in having to have the phone off all day until I need to use it (Which is most unhelpful at work as I use it to contact my boss e.t.c I might add)

All of the time that I have owned it, It has been fine. It's only started doing this in the last week. In the time it has taken me to write this it has drained 3% battery. Any Ideas?

Edit 1: Seems that Avast Anti Virus is at 38% which is around its norm but Google play services is at 34% and I cannot force stop which seems.. Odd..

Screen Time says it is 9s.

Battery Time is below

View attachment 141157

First off, it is all intents and purposes

Second, I would delete that Antivirus if it takes 38% of your battery

Third, have you tried getting a new battery?

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The culprit could be the anti virus. Things like that constantly run in the background and eat up the battery. Try getting a new battery. You can easily get one from Amazon for like 11 bucks or less.

Posted via Verizon Galaxy S5😎

call4repair

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
same issue gets so hot it will burn you while in your pocket. quick remedy ultimate power saving mode.

tried a new battery with same results.

i contacted the manufacturer on this issue and they replaced it on warranty they told me" it happens randomly to all phone models most work fine. very few will over heat.. we will replace it for you no problem!!"

Merlin Woodhouse

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
In reply to you both I have not tried a new battery as I do not live in the states so Amazon takes a week or so to deliver to me. I could try speaking to vodafone and seeing if they sell just the batteries, however.

In regards to the anti virus. This morning after I left the phone on charge all night the anti virus was only using 5% so I think it was running a scan when I screen capped. Google Play is still high up the list however.

2014-10-15 17.04.47.jpg

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
As a last attempt I would reset the phone to factory and see how it goes. I know it's annoying to have to reinstall everything but if it fixes the issue it may be worth it.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
As per your screen shot, the phone is awake constantly. I would go in the task manager and see what's keeping it awake. Then delete that pos app

Posted via Android Central App

Merlin Woodhouse

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I do not know what is happening however I will send two more screen caps as the battery life time seems to be increasing over the period of the day so far. However I did delete all my games and a couple of useful apps I use last night so perhaps I had a corrupted app and it's taking its damn time recovering.

Here's screen caps from earlier in the day.

2014-10-15 19.20.53.jpg

2014-10-15 22.12.12.jpg

Merlin Woodhouse

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Avast has dropped right off the list now. It's odd however the phone might just be having a lull before it decides to go full melt down again. As it has stopped overheating before then started up again. I am going to stare at it like mad from now on though. :)

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Avast has dropped right off the list now. It's odd however the phone might just be having a lull before it decides to go full melt down again. As it has stopped overheating before then started up again. I am going to stare at it like mad from now on though. :)

Generally when the phone starts to over heat like that it's a app miss-behaving . Usually I'll clear the cache in the phone .Instructions
Turn off the device.
Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
Volume Up key
Home key
Power key
When the phone vibrates, let go of the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
Press the Volume Down key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
Press the Power key to select.
When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.

Also I just noticed this the other day, Under backup & restore in settings
Reset Settings. First time I noticed it. I Actually tried it the other day to clear up a Bluetooth issue . It doesn't wipe the phone but I think it does more than clear the cache .

Attachments

• 2014-10-15 22.31.14.jpg
    2014-10-15 22.31.14.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay