Just put AT&T S5 on 4.4.2 back to ART after a week on Dalvik.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Upon first purchasing my S5, I noticed the option for either runtime and decided to try ART before I even knew the difference between the two. It seemed after I did my research many people encountered issues with ART, none of which I had encountered. This switch was within the first few days of ownership of my new device. I noticed a quicker/smoother TouchWiz and Android experience in general, and after a couple days could tell battery life was improved over Dalvik for sure.

After having my phone on ART for the better part of two weeks, I decided to switch back to Dalvik again to see if I could notice a difference. Although the battery drain wasn't much worse, it was enough to notice a slightly faster drain with heavy usage throughout the week. Chrome launched slower, Nova launched apps just a tad slower and the app drawer was a touch slower as well. In many ways, lots of apps and many aspects of the whole system were. The lag was minimal for sure, but still enough to notice the difference. Maybe it was just my personal perception of things, but it seemed to be more noticeable as the week went on.
Earlier this afternoon I put the device back to ART and feel it's significantly smoother all around and my apps are behaving the way they did prior to switching earlier this week.

The entire Android experience and Samsung TW interface just feels better on my device personally, and I haven't experienced any issues whatsoever with the phone running on ART. If there was any change I've noticed that was any sort of disadvantage, it's that ART seemed to use a tad more RAM with all apps and tasks killed and the phone more or less idle. But I'm talking like .1-.16 at most, which I'm sure is a lot depending on how many apps are running at once but with background processes limited to 4 on my device, I would hope this isn't an issue.

Anyway I just wanted to share my experience with both runtimes and although I'm a novice techie and don't truly understand the full difference between the two, I wanted to share my personal, subjective opinion about my experience with it in case anyone has thought about using ART on their S5. :)

Cheers

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the Objective View Point on your experience.

I tried ART back in the first week that I owned my phone for a short while. Haven't used it since, think I will try it again and see how it is working now under 4.4.4

Just might be a nice experience.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I should have been sleeping instead of playing with my phone.

It was 2:45ish in the a.m. hours when I posted that I would try out ART again. It was about 3:30 a.m. when I finally got off the PC and into my recliner and leaned back with the S5 in hand and clicked on ART...

Oops! I thought, something is badly wrong.................. it dragged on and on and on before the phone finally returned to life.

I'm guessing that it took well over a half hour for the ART runtime to update all of the apps to ART 4.4.4 version. I didn't think I would need a stop watch to see how long it takes for the conversion, but let me say, I opened up my Kindle Reader and read 5 chapters in my crime thriller story while the phone went through its' motions of becoming a phone again.

That big RED VERIZON background screen was beginning to feel like I had bricked the phone....
shock.gif
and then I started thinking
praying.gif
real hard, Lord, please let my phone work again.

Well, all's well that ends well.

The results are in, and here is my Subjective Thoughts on the change over to 4.4.4 Verizon ART Runtime.

I like it, no I love it !!!

In no particular order, here is what I have noticed so far.

• Images are sharper and more intense, and look like the new Lollipop style I see.
  • The text is sharper and easier for me to read, it is darker on a whiter background. For eyes that are 7 decades old and wearing bifocals, this is a real help. I like it.
  • Scrolling is super fast and smoooooooth, at least twice as fast as DALVIK, and no image breakup during the scroll
  • Apps boot up and are running much faster than before, I think the appropriate term here would be Snappy reactions to your touch
  • Apps are closing out faster than before
  • Blue Mail is broken, sent in a Report to the Blue Mail Team about that, it is oh-Dark-Thirty here in Central Time Zone and I do not expect an answer back in the next 15 minutes.
  • Just about everything I touched and tried is definitely faster than it was.

That is just a thumbnail review, but I think the biggest impression I have with ART on 4.4.4 is ..............

The Lord just gave me a brand New Phone that is twice as good as the one I had yesterday....

Understandably, I have only been using ART now for a couple of hours, and I'm beginning to feel the effects of not going to bed last night. I'm sure I will notice more stuff tomorrow (er, later today) after I get some sleep.

Time out: 05:45 a.m. gonna close the curtains, don't want the sun in my eyes for a long while now.........

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Nice to hear you like it! Everything you stated, short of the sharper text and fonts (I have eyes that are under 3 decades old and are in good shape :p) has been true with mine as well. Everything about the OS seems to be smoother.
It's been a total of three times that I've gone back and forth so far and each time it takes a good 10-15 minutes, maybe more, for the device to upgrade and boot up. Processor gets crazy hot while in the process too. Nonetheless it performs well and after being back on it for almost 24 hours again, I'm happy I went back

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It's been a total of three times that I've gone back and forth so far and each time it takes a good 10-15 minutes, maybe more, for the device to upgrade and boot up. Processor gets crazy hot while in the process too. Nonetheless it performs well and after being back on it for almost 24 hours again, I'm happy I went back

I forgot to mention that about the processor getting so hot.

Mine put up a flag and mentioned that the phone would be slower, but still usable until it cooled off.

I just locked the screen, took it out of the case, turned it face down and put it in front of my desk fan and went to sleep.

When my eyes crawled back out of la la land, the phone was rarin' to go and I have been super pleased all day.

It just "seems to me" to be smoother and faster doing anything, regardless of what I want.

I think I will put a temp sensor widget on one of my Tools home screens, just a curiosity thing to see how hot is "hot".

but, this is the first time since I had the phone since April that it got hot enough to notice.

rcdougie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I just tried out ART runtime and lost 1.4gb of storage. I then put Dalvick back on and gained my lost storage back. Any thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App