Tracking app (husband not packages) lol

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
So we finally broke down and got my husband a smartphone....a s5. He's 56 and really couldn't care less about technology except for his game camera @ the deer lease 😁
I'd like to install a tracking app on BOTH of our phones for safety reasons and also, since he's not the best @ letting me know when he's close to home so I can have dinner on the table or know when to be ready if we're going out to eat. we live in a rural area where sometimes our phones don't work and there's been times he's worried not knowing where I was. his crew has always teased him that I was already tracking him because I seem to have a sixth sense when he's left the job...but of course without a smartphone I wasn't able to do that. So what application do you guys use to keep up with your family members? I know Google Latitude can do this and there's one in the Google Play store called Phone Tracker GPS tracking. Free would be best.
Thanks

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Panda, I don't do Google + so that's out.
vvulture, Just downloaded Life 360 and was even able to download it to DH's phone but it hasn't been set up yet.
I'd still like to know what others are using tho :)
Thanks!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Google Latitude disappeared a while back..... unless they reinstated it, it is a gone gone feature.

I used it extensively until they announced it was going to be terminated.

I have not found anything worth a darn to replace it. ( that will run in the background )

Beretta96

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I use life 360. Works well for tracking my son. It lets me know when he leaves/arrives at home/school.

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I just remembered something that I have put into my phone for my family and friends.

You need one app, which is free for up to 5 macros.

MacroDroid: must be installed in each phone you want to track. Does not need to be installed in your phone, but it is nice if you want hubby to find you when you have a flat tire.
ROFL.gif

Open MacroDroid, open View Templates

Find "Request Location"

touch the Right Arrow

You can modify the Actions, but I left it like it comes "Send to incoming SMS number"

touch the Check Mark and you are done.

All that is required is to send an SMS to their phone WHEREAREYOU ( upper/lowercase okay... no spaces allowed ) and MacroDroid will see this and turn on the GPS (better to leave it ON as I do) and it will instantly reply to the sender with the GPS location.

Touch that in the reply to you, and it will open Google Maps and there they are!

works like a charm

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I know you said you don't do Google+ but you can set it up and lock it down quite easily and there is a tracking widget built in. Just add you and your hubby to it. You will have to authorise location on each others phones but after that you will be able to see where he is at a glance.

Posted via the Android Central App

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
After a couple hours (it seemed that long anyway) I was able to get Life360 properly configured. It's pretty darn cool :) Woke up this morning, opened the app and tapped on his avatar (a white tail deer, naturally) and BAM, there he was in a new construction neighborhood about 25 miles away (or at least his phone was there lol) There are options to send a quick "I'm checking in" message. Well, I'll just send a screen shot. I still don't like for him to hunt by himself but now if anything happens (feral hog attack, snake bite, falling out of a deer blind), I can locate him. Here's a screenshot.

Screenshot_2014-10-25-11-01-43.jpg

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Glad you were able to get your needs taken care of.

I like that view, and the ease of finding him is much easier than my alternative method suggested.

As you know, his phone will have to be "in range" of a cell tower for it to work. Which, I assume will usually be 99% of the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon