Google Maps Not Working On Galaxy S5

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 on T-Mobile, and I keep running into this issue:

I just moved to a new city and have no clue where anything is yet, so when I go out I'll pull up a route via Google Maps on my phone. While at home, my phone is connected to my wi-fi network, and I have zero issues.

As has been the case multiple times now, once it's time to pull up my home address in Google Maps to navigate home, I'm out of luck. I'll have full bars, 4G LTE, and will open Google Maps and enter my address, but nothing will pre-fill on the search screen (it normally pre-fills with your most recent searches etc) and the little arrows next to 4G LTE won't light up at all.

I'll manually type in my home address and hit search, again no arrows lighting up to indicate data, and then my phone just spins that circle indicating a search is pending. Nothing will ever pull up.

I've spoken to T-Mobile about this and was told I needed to update my phone via Settings and the problem will go away. It hasn't.

I've been going all over the city for job interviews lately, and this is getting extremely inconvenient. What should I do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try going to the App Manager, select Google Maps, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now try again.

When this happens, does everything else work fine on mobile data? For example, you're still able to browse the web or send email or do a Google search? What happens if you use the phone's browser to go to maps.google.com?

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
All other forms of the internet work fine. I tried your steps, no change.

The really weird thing I noticed is this - when it happened on Friday, I went to the Play Store and downloaded Waze and tried Waze... SAME problem.

In both cases even the map of my surrounding areas loaded, but it was like no data was DL or UL whenever I would try to send a specific request for a location.

In the past, enabling and disabling location settings a bunch of times would eventually get it working, as would changing my location settings to GPS only, but lately even that hasn't been working.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you also try the Google Maps mobile site? Maybe we can narrow it down to an issue with the actual Google Maps app, vs some problem with the Maps server.

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
It's not an issue with the Google Maps app if it's affecting Waze (which it is) as well. The mobile site loads fine, but doesn't actually update my location or anything, so all I can do is pull up a "turn here, go 2 miles, turn right" list like in the old days of printing out directions off Map Quest.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What I was trying to figure out was if it's an issue with accessing the information via app, be it Google Map or Waze (so presumably an API issue? I'm not a coder, so forgive me if I'm off base) or if there's a problem with the Google Maps server (in which case you'd have problems on the mobile site as well). So with what you're describing, it makes me think there might be some API issue, but again, since I'm not a coder, I'm not sure what to do next. Also, I'm not sure why the problem would only be on mobile data. Let me ask some other folks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, no, none of my colleagues have any suggestions at this time.

I wonder if reflashing the firmware might help, in case the maps API has somehow gone weird (again, apologies to any real software engineers out there if I'm way off base). Either that or a factory reset (but I think reflashing the firmware will preserve your data).

First, see if wiping the cache partition does anything: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 5 | T-Mobile Support

If that doesn't help, see if this process works: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...e-samsung-how-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-8.html

jcf007

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I have tried force stops, clearing the cache and uninstalling updates on google maps. I have also tried wiping the device's cache partition. Nothing works excepting getting on WiFi. Has anyone seen this issue on non-S5 devices? non-Samsung devices? My tablet doesn't have this problem running the same version of google maps (9.1.2)...
I am wondering if this isn't some sort of handshaking issue with google servers as accessing maps on my tablet appeared to clear the issue on my phone...

fyrso

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Maps App. It would not work. I found an youtube video and it told me that this issue was due to the updates on it. The guy said to clear the Cache and the data then click uninstall updates. it will remove the update and give you back the factory version. I did and it worked. once I found an address and click start navigation it popped and even the voice was there. I have not tried it out driving yet but if I got all this which I didnt before Im sure it will work.

Michael Brown25

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar issue going on with my S5.

I type, or put a pin in a location I am trying to get directions for, and as soon as I hit the "route" button, the maps app turns off completely.

Won't even load the directions at all. And this has nothing to do with internet connection because it happens no matter what the situation. EVERY time.

I have tried everything suggested on this forum and nothing helps. I'm starting to realize that the best way to fix your Samsung Phone, is to throw it away and buy an Iphone. At least that way you can get some help when something goes wrong.

I am on my 4th replacement phone, and I haven't gotten a decent one yet. I only heard good things about these phones, but since me, my mom, and my sister bought them, we have been thoroughly disappointed in everyway.

tpaul66

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem. What corrected the issue for me was going to the application manager where I cleared the data (which automatically cleared the cache). Next, I force stopped; turned app off and back on. The app was removed from the folder I had it set it. I had to go back to apps and move it back to the folder. When I opened it again, it had been restored to its original state. Knock on wood 24 hrs later ...still working (Knocking on wood again)

Buggs Bunny

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
I had the same exact problem as the OP and tried every suggestion. I talked to Verizon tech support, and they suggested booting into safe mode, in addition to all the other fixes suggested here. They even suggested taking the damn cover off in case it was somehow blocking the GPS. A manager reviewed the call log and called me later to do a follow up. He said he would delve into it more and he actually called me the next day to see if I had resolved the problem. I told him no and he said he would continue to try to find a solution. I then went to my local Verizon store, and they were scratching their heads as well. It would appear that there simply is no solution to this problem. They finally called it a location services "issue", and are shipping a new phone since mine is still under warranty. If someone comes up with a solution or explanation please post it.

Last edited:

Riicky Aandrade

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar issue on my Samsung S5. Everything works fine except for the localisation system. When I'm using the google maps app, It's not working properly.
When I turn on my localisation, the icon keeps blinking and never stops. Sometimes it does but the gps loses the signal and starts blinking again. The gps isn't accurate at all and is not following my movements when I'm driving! I asked help from Samsung, they sent me to a repair center which was supposed to repair/fix the issue. Went there, they said that they fixed it, went home and halfway to my destination it wouldn't stop blinking at started doing the same thing. My phone was factory reset too... I don't know what to do anymore. I seriously tried everything stated in this thread but still nothing. If someone could help me that would be great!

Dagon123

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I tried all the suggestions for this problem other than restore without success. I then went to the Playstore, searched on Google Maps, and selected Update. All seems to be working fine now including Pedestrian mode!

Axe6164

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Google map error message pops up "Unfortunately Google Maps has stopped working" when I am on 4G and when I tap the navigation button and select the car mode prior to entering the address.
No issues when I am home on wifi. All the time. Every time.
Have not been able to find a solution yet.

Metendo

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
It's not an issue with the Google Maps app if it's affecting Waze (which it is) as well. The mobile site loads fine, but doesn't actually update my location or anything, so all I can do is pull up a "turn here, go 2 miles, turn right" list like in the old days of printing out directions off Map Quest.

Google owns waze. Uninstall all updates of maps from your application settings. Itll work. I have the same problem. Its due to the most recent version maps