Galaxy S5 Sport - S Health - Counting Calories

Gary Hord

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Anybody else have issues with the S Health app counting calories? I use a Garmin heart rate monitor. S Health will record the BPM perfectly. I can sustain 140-160 BPM for up to 20 minutes, but my total calorie burned will literally be less than 10. My weight and height is recorded accurately. It seems to me that it would be a simple math equation to determine total calorie burn.

I've searched for information on numerous sites and can't find anything. Any ideas?

Thanks!

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
The amount of calories you burn while conducting an activity only partially depend on your heart rate. In order to get an accurate estimate of the calories you have burned, you also need to track body movement along with a few other aspects.

I am not surprised that you burned "only" 10 calories in 20 minutes. That's actually fairly common and the amount of calories that I burn while exercising are always lower, much lower, than I would have thought. For example, I ride a stationary bike everyday for 45 minutes. I pedal at varying speeds and the resistance is changed to simulate going up and down hills. Even after 45 minutes and being drenched in perspiration, I have only burned about 20 calories (+/- 4). I've only ever done a single 1000 calorie exercise regiment and it about killed me but the whole thing was an hour long without stopping. Running, jogging, walking, running, punching a bag, jumping jacks, and core exercises (planking, etc.) were all part of it for a solid hour.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Weird. I track calories burned while cycling using a Garmin Edge GPS and a web app called Strava. I regularly have 1000 calorie rides that are under 90 minutes, and I've had up to 3000 calorie rides (75 mile road rides with decent climbing) and the Garmin doesn't even take wind into account (you work way harder on a bike on a windy day than a calm one).

And I know the calorie count can't be that far off, otherwise I'd be HUGE with all the food I eat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde