WiFi not connecting?

fdkk

May 10, 2014
Visit site
i have had this phone for 5 months and suddenly from yesterday my home wifi wouldnt connect at most times it says saved and secured and sometimes get authentication errors,my other phones,tabs,laptop all connect fine,i tried rebooting the phone and the router but no luck

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd try a complete factory reset of the router (not just a reboot), and setting your wi-fi network up again. Look at the router's manual to learn how to do a factory reset.

fdkk

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I did a factory reset on the router and the phone still the same, it takes a long tine at 'obtaining ip' or sometimes authentication errors

fdkk

May 10, 2014
Visit site
No its not rooted, i tried connecting to a mobile hotspot it did , but couldnt try other wifi networks yet, the thing is all the other devices at home( laptop, lg phone , galaxy s4 mini,ipad and another s5) have no problem, i recently had my display changed(my wifi mac ad also changed) as it failed, wonder if it has anything to do with it

HiddenPuppy

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
No its not rooted, i tried connecting to a mobile hotspot it did , but couldnt try other wifi networks yet, the thing is all the other devices at home( laptop, lg phone , galaxy s4 mini,ipad and another s5) have no problem, i recently had my display changed(my wifi mac ad also changed) as it failed, wonder if it has anything to do with it

Is your Bluetooth turned on? Since the last update, the Bluetooth seems to interfere with the WiFi, I have the same problem and if I turn off the Bluetooth all is well. Have not found a solution yet.

Have a good day

fdkk

May 10, 2014
Visit site
No bluetooth is off, i just turned off the password protetcion on my router and then it connected immediately, but then again its not 100% normal as sometimes i find it difficult to connect even without a password(seems to get stuck at obtaining ip and goes back to "saved") wonder if there is some ip interference

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Get a hold of WiFi Pro 360 and look to see if there are offending channels from other routers in your area.

* WiFi Overview 360 Pro - Android Apps on Google Play

This is a very good WiFi tool, I also use a couple of others as a verification but this tool is the best of the crop so far.

If you find any signals other than your own, note what channel they are using, and then change the channel of your router to a clear channel that does not have any signals on either side of it. You need at least one free channel on each side of your own channel for reliable connections.

Channel 11 is the stock, factory default. Most folks don't realize this and just plug in their new WiFi router and are happy, and most of the time, can get away with it as their home WiFi router is much stronger than the rest of the world...

But, when two signals occupy the same channel, you get Data Collisions, and that is why you have troubles at times.

Once you have a good clean channel and your setup is working, be sure you secure it. You don't want to leave it open for thieves to steal your bandwidth.

Layuth

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
My three suggestions would be in order:

1. Long press on your home network and hit forget. Re-type in the info (password/etc.).
2. Use the app Wifi Analyzer.
3. Use the app Wifi Fixer.

Good luck and hope this helps.

fdkk

May 10, 2014
Visit site
hi,i tried changing the channel still wouldn't work,tried connecting to public WiFi networks it got connected to one without a problem but others it wouldn't.might take it to a samsung service center,but i am pretty sure they are gonna say its my router

Reidlos

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I got mine working after some work. I was using a closed network (not broadcast SSID) with a WPA2 PSK security option. I tried to make it a brodcast no security network in my options, I was then able to connect after turning my phones wifi off then on after forgetting network. I then re applied my security and repeated the forget/ off then on step. I was able to connect.

fdkk

May 10, 2014
Visit site
gave it to Samsung yesterday,there seems to be a problem with the WiFi as it did not connect to their network as well,Thanks a lot for trying to help

detrp

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same issue since the upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4...SHUT OFF the Bluetooth when using WiFi...it worked for me, went around the corner from my house, and stayed connected. Forget Verizon or Samsung, they already know about the issue, it is supposed to be fixed with Android 5.0!

Kreativni Tim

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Some of the tips for this situation from the web:

- Always start by turning your S5 and your router off and on again. Sometimes that does the trick.
- Make sure that you haven’t set Wi-Fi restrictions related to the power saving mode in Settings > Power saving mode.
- Head into Settings > Wi-Fi and choose your router, then tap Forget and set up the connection again from scratch.
- You can also choose your router in Settings > Wi-Fi and scroll down to tap Edit > Show advanced options and try changing IP settings to Static.
- Take a look in Wi-Fi > Settings > Advanced and make sure Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep is set to Always and that Always allow scanning is checked.
- Download the free Wifi Analyzer app and take a look at how busy your channels are. Too many devices on one channel can impact on speeds, so switch to a less crowded channel.
- Check MAC filtering on your router and make sure it’s off or that the S5 is listed (you’ll find the S5 MAC address listed in Wi-Fi > Settings > Advanced).
You could also try updating the firmware on your router.

detrp

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a NEW Galaxy S5, and a NEW Fios WiFi router, after all the trouble I had, it turns out that there is an issue with Android 4.4.4, if the Bluetooth is enabled, Wifi will not work, turn off Bluetooth & Mobile Data, connect to your WiFi, and you will notice the difference.....I reset my entire phone via WiFi with Bluetooth & Mobile Data off and WiFi enabled! Samsung & Google is aware of the issue, and should be corrected with Android Lollipop 5.0!