Switching from IPhone to Samsung? Wise choice or the worst choice I've made?

Hydee57

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
switching from IPhone to Samsung? Wise choice or the worst choice I've made?

Just bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it has been the most frustrating 36 hrs to the point where I want to throw it off the bridge.

I switched for a number of reasons with the top two being weight and screen size. My hands are getting arthritic and I found the wt of the IPhone just too much. I also switched from an IPad to and IPad mini because of this. Also the size of the screen from the IPhone to the Samsung was part of this major decision to go to a Samsung instead of the IPhone 6. Did I just make the worst mistake of my life? HELP!

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: switching from IPhone to Samsung? Wise choice or the worst choice I've made?

What exactly is frustrating you? iPhone works great, but it works the way Apple, not you, decided it should work. Android gives you lots more choices - ultimately that's great, but it could explain upfront frustration. Try something like this, and come back with specific questions and we can help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF2szf7YKpA

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: switching from IPhone to Samsung? Wise choice or the worst choice I've made?

What exactly are you having issues with? Hopefully we can help.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

No, you have not.

but you have just been indoctrinated into the world of Android.

It will take you a while to acclimate to the ability to modify the phone to your own personality.

There is a thread somewhere from an iPhone addict who changed to the S5, looking for it now.

lordy,,,, I bookmarked the darn thing.

Read here * iPhone to Android a tremendous post on how to do it

That is a long thread, be sure you read all of it.

and, in case you overlook it, I made this post in that thread.

Samsung has an app called Smart Switch that can transfer all of your iPhone stuff directly to your Samsung phone.

* Smart Switch by Samsung

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

It all depends on what your looking for. Android is really good for people who like to tinker a lot with their phones and change things around and customize.

Iphones are really good for people who want a more straight forward user friendly device along with a smooth operating experience.

Android has more user options, but lacks some of the smooth crisp experiences of the iphone. It really depends on what you're going after.

johnnnnnymtl

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

When I switched from iPhone to S3 I was also very frustrated of the fact that I had to learn how to navigate another kind of operaring system. It took me about 1 month to get 100% completely comfortable with my new S3.

Posted via the Android Central App

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

It all depends on what your looking for. Android is really good for people who like to tinker a lot with their phones and change things around and customize.

Iphones are really good for people who want a more straight forward user friendly device along with a smooth operating experience.

Android has more user options, but lacks some of the smooth crisp experiences of the iphone. It really depends on what you're going after.

I agree. It does depend on what you want out of a device. However I disagree about the performance difference. Since 2013 high end Android devices have been virtually equal to the iPhone in terms of fluidity. Ios 8 is actually quite buggy so in some ways Android is now more fluid and stable.

Posted from my S5

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

When I switched from iPhone to S3 I was also very frustrated of the fact that I had to learn how to navigate another kind of operaring system. It took me about 1 month to get 100% completely comfortable with my new S3.

This is probably the biggest issue, having to learn a new OS and the layout of it and where things are located. Once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature. I switched back in April and this is my first Android and I'm glad I made the jump. I had been with the iPhone for about 5 years and finally grew tired of it being so locked down and Apple deciding what I needed/should have. iPhones are great for those who are in the Apple eco-system or for those who don't need all the customization and thrills; they are good phones, they are just no longer good for me.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

I came from a Blackberry to the S5. Took a little time to adjust but I don't regret getting the S5. I love it! Playing around with a new phone is half the fun.....you learn as you play with it. :)

loc_luke

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

It'll grow on you. Soon you'll be wondering why you even were frustrated. If you find the screen a little too big to type on just put the keyboard on one handed mode (I'm assuming the s5 has this in its keyboard)

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

I was an Apple addict maybe even classed as a fanboy. I had every iPhone from original to 5s updated every year, I even had a 5c as a back up, I had Apple TV, iPad, Macbook Air and iMac.

I had become bored with the row of grids and the ever increasing cost of upgrading the phones along with running out of storage space all the time and refusing to pay so much to increase it.

So at the end of July I decided to switch to Android as Kit Kat seemed much better than my old HTC One X I had. now over 3 months since I switched I have never looked back, I love how customisable my S5 is, Nova launcher is brilliant and the SD card slot is awesome. Yes it was a steep learning curve but one I glad I took.

Now I can't stand my ipad any longer and have just bought the new Z3 Compact Tablet, my tablet and phone work better with my TV and no need for Apple TV either. The only Apple products I am now keeping is my Macbook and iMac.

Keep it up and don't give in too soon, oh and of course the battery life is out of this world, I went to London with 4 hours on public transport two weeks ago, normally I would have my iPhone plugged in and charging, no need with my S5, I got home with still 30% battery.

Here is a screen shot of how my home screen looks now, and the beauty of android means you can make yours look however you want!

Screenshot_2014-11-04-13-01-45.jpg

Richard Vicentino

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site

Just bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it has been the most frustrating 36 hrs to the point where I want to throw it off the bridge.

I switched for a number of reasons with the top two being weight and screen size. My hands are getting arthritic and I found the wt of the IPhone just too much. I also switched from an IPad to and IPad mini because of this. Also the size of the screen from the IPhone to the Samsung was part of this major decision to go to a Samsung instead of the IPhone 6. Did I just make the worst mistake of my life? HELP!

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

Nice try, pal.

Richard Vicentino

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
No need to guess anymore..you did make a huge mistake...as did I. I've had my note 4 for 5 days now and have yet to stop trying to make it work like it should. Let's start with
1: Samsung Smart Switch has no way of loading new music or files onto the phone and works only periodically

2: Android file transfer does not work AT ALL, and yes I un-installed Smart Switch and Keis with the installer and I still can't access files on the phone. It just keeps telling me my device is locked and to unlock it (and clearly it's not).

3: and about Keis...it loaded some of my music onto my device, but not without stripping the album covers, artist name and all other info other than song title (loaded onto SD card). The rest of my music it's choosing to simply ignore...not it's taste I suppose, so it won't load it come hell or high water.

4: and more about music, my ford vehicle equipped with sync will now not recognize ANY music via the USB cord. Meaning the only way to listen is via Bluetooth, which does not allow for voice control of the music via the vehicle sync (don't even bother with OK Google to run it )

Now onto photos

5: for whatever reason Samsung feels the need to duplicate photo software on the device...I have gallery and photos...which of course has created duplicates of EVERY photo on my phone! I opened photo to see what it did and appeqrantly it looks in Gallery, grabs every photo, duplicates it, puts it's own tag on it and saves it back to the gallery!

WTF!!!!!

This is only chipping the ice and goes way beyond OS growing pains. That's simply a phone that does not work as it should. Even answering a freaking call seems slow and clunky compared to the streamlined experience that apple offers. Having to learn to live with technology is not progress. The technology should be designed to live with us.

I will dump this thing the second I can sell it to pay the balance on my contract.

Oh, but tge screen is nice😠

Evan Mohr

May 8, 2015
Visit site

You haven't made a mistake at all, I believe Samsung makes the best of devices!