Photo editing leaves TWO photos on phone....how do I disable this?

agdodge4x4

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
When you edit a picture that was taken with the camera, it saves an edited copy. This leaves me with TWO copies of the same photo. This is huge hassle. How do you get it to overwrite the original or something? I don't need TWO copies of every photo that is edited.

5picker

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
It's not a huge hassle at all. Why wouldn't you want both copies? Long standing photo/video/audio train of thought is you NEVER want to overwrite the original during editing. Suppose you edit something that later on you decide isn't appropriate? If you overwrite, you can never go back. And you really don't have two copies of the SAME photo... you have the original and the edited one. Also note, if you are saving the originals to the SD card, the edited copy saves to internal memory. It can be moved if you so desire but I do not know of a way for the edited copy to go directly to the SD card or... in answer to your question... overwrite the original.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, using the stock editor that comes with your phone, there's no way of changing this. Like 5picker said, it's to avoid what MOST users fear: losing the original if a bad edit occurs. To you, this might not be what you want...alas, it is how it is. You could use a 3rd party editor that does allow you to overwrite the original.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Why would you want to overwrite the original? What if you screw something up? I'd rather have to delete the original after than risk losing a picture that I had screwed up.

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Why not create two folders on your SD card and name one original and the other edits then move each to the folders.
You never want to destroy or overwrite the original..

agdodge4x4

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
The issue is that all the edited pics look the same. We can't tell which is which. There is no notice or tag do far as I can see. How do I know what is what?

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The issue is that all the edited pics look the same. We can't tell which is which. There is no notice or tag do far as I can see. How do I know what is what?

Usualy edited images will look different so looking at the 2 images should tell you what is what..

Open the image in gallery.. Tap the 3 dots and tap more info.. Then tap details at the bottom. The first and last entry is the file name. Once you edit the file and save it do the same to get the file name..