WiFi keeps turning itself on and off, constantly.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else been through this? All of a sudden, my wifi keeps switching between off and on every... 5-10 seconds. Any thoughts?

no recent downloads/changes, running Kk 4.4.2

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I presume that you have already done a simple Restart of the phone?

Go to Settings/WiFi/Advanced and uncheck everything on that page except for maybe the 1st one, Notifications.

That is the way I keep my S5 all the time anyway. Saves battery.

I would also, just to be thorough, go to Settings/WiFi/Manage networks and tell it to Forget everything you have on that page.

Restart the phone...

Let it scan and then connect it back to your home WiFi router.

If that helps, fine, please report back to us.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
Problem solved. It was an issue with Textra (SMS/MMS app) Since I have T-Mobile it doesn't allow me to download MMS while on wifi. I had changed it earlier in the day to auto switch to 4G when receiving a MMS, so it would download then auto switch back to WiFi after. When the WiFi kept turning off, it was because my phone was trying to download an MMS, but I was in the basement and had no 4G service. Didn't realize until I went upstairs and got the MMS notification. Thanks for the response!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
That is where AT&T has T-Mobile and Verizon beat two ways from Sunday.

I can't use Data and WiFi at the same time with Verizon even when 4g is up and running.

Maybe some folks can if they live in a VoLTE area, but I can't out here 50 miles from the nearest big metro area.

for me, here inside my home, I have to use a Network Extender which does have 4g, but it does not have VoLTE capability.

maybe someday, Verizon will extend VoLTE to all of their cell sites.

If I don't use the Network Extender, all of our cellphones will run the batteries down in about a half day trying to connect to the very weak signal cellsites. The closest one to me is 18 miles away.

Mick Chan

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
hey akutch34, I have this issue and nothing I've tried worked, and most solutions to posts about wifi issues don't look like they apply. I see that you've resolved it by noticing the App Textra is causing this. I do not have that app, and wondering if you know how I can find out whether it is a similar problem I have. I am also on Tmobile carrier but where I am it is out of their service zone, and it will jump onto AT&T network here and there.

Sometimes I will go through a stretch of a few days where this doesn't happen, then when it does it seems to take a while before going back to normal, but I can't figure out what ignites either scenario to happen. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

mick

Steven Fischer

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
That is where AT&T has T-Mobile and Verizon beat two ways from Sunday.

I can't use Data and WiFi at the same time with Verizon even when 4g is up and running.

Maybe some folks can if they live in a VoLTE area, but I can't out here 50 miles from the nearest big metro area.

for me, here inside my home, I have to use a Network Extender which does have 4g, but it does not have VoLTE capability.

maybe someday, Verizon will extend VoLTE to all of their cell sites.

If I don't use the Network Extender, all of our cellphones will run the batteries down in about a half day trying to connect to the very weak signal cellsites. The closest one to me is 18 miles away.

The network extenders only supply evdo technology Which is 3g. VoLTE just makes a call over lte. So as long as it says 4glte in the top of your phone you can use the service. How ever because the call is connected through lte. If you lose that signal you also lose the call.

Udonitron

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but my Tab S 8.4 is doing this exact thing now, got it for Christmas.
WiFi turns on and off every 5 seconds over and over again.
It turns itself on even with Flight Mode enabled!?
It will connect and then turn off.
It randomly worked today for a bit and now back to the same BS.
There has to be either a similar software issue to your phone or the same WiFi module that fails.
I cannot figure it out and the tablet is useless without it, really.

GeMSpot

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
My Samsung T5 !0.1 has been doing the same thing. I opened the WIFI then selected Advanced. I changed the following settings: 1.) Keep WIFI on during sleep: NEVER 2.) Wifi Timer: set to off.

I haven't experienced the problem since. Let's see if it remains fixed. I hope this helps.

Udonitron

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I do not have a WiFi timer on my Tab S.
I have WiFi Sleep set to Never as well.
No change..just keeps going on and off.

mwsiuda

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I realize this is a very old thread but I have found the solution. You are probably using DD-WRT or Tomato on your router. In the advanced wireless settings, make sure that "No ACK" is set to disabled. Also, make sure that "Afterburner" is disabled.

Christina parker1

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
HI everyone!! I had this same problem for like a week and a half. I have the galaxy 7 edge and I finally got mine fixed. The problem was my Mc Afee virus application was running in the background and on my side tab. So basically an application problemm as soon as I force stopped that application from running on my main screen tab my wifi has been staying connected. So it could possibly be one or many of your applications depending on what you have. Hope I could help someone :)

usernamenobodyhas

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else been through this? All of a sudden, my wifi keeps switching between off and on every... 5-10 seconds. Any thoughts?

no recent downloads/changes, running Kk 4.4.2

Yes! This is happening to me and driving me nuts. Only happens with my Pixel phone Android 7.1. Other devices are unaffected.

Jeepsk8

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I had this exact problem. I fixed it this way: Settings, location, improve accuracy and turn off wi-fi. So far problem seems to be fixed. I have a Galaxy S5 with ATT. I hope this helps someone.

alanmv567

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I had this exact problem. I fixed it this way: Settings, location, improve accuracy and turn off wi-fi. So far problem seems to be fixed. I have a Galaxy S5 with ATT. I hope this helps someone.

This worked for me on my Note 4 Tmobile. I wonder if a Google app got updated forcing the wifi to turn off and on over and over again because I didn't start having this problem until yesterday.

qwerty017

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

This worked for my Note 4. Weird that it just started happening even though that was always on.

schmandroid

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
i have had exactly the same problem for a day or two. while disabling "location>improve accuracy>wifi scanning" stops the bug temporarily it doesn't really solve the problem. wifi scanning is an important location feature when navigating. in narrow streets or in buildings one usually does not have gps reception, also the wifi scanning technique for determining the devices location is usually faster and uses less battery than gps (how ironic).

this bug is extremely annoying. i am on an unbranded, unrooted s5 on 6.0.1 (g900f). i can not believe that this also happens with s7 and pixel phones, this is really ridiculous. if anyone finds a permanent solution for this problem, please tell us!!!

:( :'( :-

blue64chevy

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
I started having this WiFi problem of turning on and off by itself rapidly, and noticed my battery was draining faster than usual on my T-Mobile Galaxy s5. I just uninstalled the Google home launcher, and it fixed the wifi issue. Google needs to get it fixed.