Why do my files become corrupted after transferring to sd card on galaxy s5?

Antonio Brown

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Ok so everytime I move files over from my internal storage to my sd card on my galaxy s5 they become corruped. This is my 3rd memory card I have purchased so it's not that. I am even using an official samsung 64gb micro sd card uhs-1 class 10. When the video clips are saved on the device they play fine. So I copied them over to my sd card using the my files folder on the phone and "moved" them and "copied" them over. At first the files play fine but then when I go back later to play them some of them pop up as unable to play video and are corrupted. I googled the issue and I'm not the only one having this problem but I haven't found a resolution either. Anyone experience this issue or have a fix?

Tony Melendez

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Antonio, is the path...

I just had a birthday on NOV 2nd, and between my party and a short cruise, I had pretty much gotten to the max internal memory. So I decided to move the pics to the external card, where I had moved other albums to. I left the operation running and went to sleep, the next day I woke up and almost had a heart attack after seeing all the little black icons in some of my albums.

I have been trying to fix this since then. I couldn't open them any way I tried. The same with all my videos, and music' "the player does not support this type of file" .... lol... "what, the same file that it was opening yesterday?: I have ran many programs to try to get my pictures, to no avail; of course not, they are not deleted nor corrupted. I had an experience with my S3 and corrupted external card, but I kept getting error message that let me know that it was the card. And I was able to get a lot of those corrupted/deleted pictures back using the same programs I tried using for this card. I could see the icons when I transfer all the data to my computer, so logic dictates that, if the computer recognizes a file as a jpg, mp4, mp3, the information needed to open that file, still lives in it.

Last night I went to sleep thinking I would look at the paths; I did another Google search this morning, found this thread, and saw the answers of the other gentlemen to you which confirmed my thoughts.

So a little while ago, I opened up my camera Album where some of these black icons live. I selected one, clicked on DETAILS or MORE INFO (cant remember the right words since by now I have seen both), I wrote down the file number, went to MY FILES, clicked on SD CARD, and did a search for that file. Of course another black icon was returned. I selected it, clicked on the menu, and clicked on MOVE. I then selected DEVICE STORAGE, a bunch of folders were presented, I found the one that read CAMERA, and moved it there. I went to my GALLERY, opened up my camera Album, and voila!!! There they were!!!

A further look into the problem leads me to believe that it is not the same to MOVE your entire album to the SD Card, as it is an individual picture. It would not follow the path that is set for your album. I did try moving one of the 'empty' files to the correct album on the SD card, but it gave me the error that I was choosing the same "destination". Furthermore, it created another copy of the pic, another empty file or black icon. I guess what I'll do, once I get all my pictures and back them up to my computer, or some sort of cloud, will be to move all my Albums back to the SD card, altogether.

Regarding my MUSIC ,Yesterday I had done something and those three songs played today!! Cant remember what I did. The point being not to give up or delete the files. I am going to try to remember what I did and write it back here. It should be the same problem as above.

And word of caution, I have not checked on this, but I guess it will be imperative to return the file to the actual folder it originally belonged to when it was moved. Otherwise, it will keep creating a different path for that file. Example, if I miss a picture from my MONDAY album, and I try to move that picture to the CAMERA or TUESDAY album, *I do not think* it will open. Another thing *I believe* happens is that if you take the SD card out (in my case to open the files in my computer), once you return it to the phone, and it gets re-encrypted, the path might change. I took 5 pictures over the last two days, after I returned my SD card to the phone this morning, they were not showing on the Camera Album, but yet, they were on the card.

Another verified exampled of this is the different programs we use to manipulate pictures. Some of the pictures I have fixed with STUDIO, I moved to other albums. Once STUDIO was upgraded, the path in those pictures was not longer valid (as it relates to the external storage). And so my different albums, that had been previously moved to the SD card, would be intact, except for those pictures that I fixed in STUDIO and moved to that album; they appeared corrupted. This is easier to re do since I know the pictures I fixed and what I was trying to fix, so I can recreate them. ***BUT LOOK IN YOUR STUDIO, PRO GRID ( or any other software you use) FOLDERS IN THE SD CARD for pictures you might be missing!

And while all this sounds very tedious, the excitement Im getting from even getting back pictures that I should have deleted anyways, is amazing!!

Last edited:

gossmarian

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I cannot say I have tried to move an entire file to my sd card, but I have gone through three SD cards in hopes of finding one that will work with my galaxy 5. My Sandisk card did not work well at all. The pictures I took were coming out partially gray and videos would not play at all. After reading some more on these forums, I decided to try a smaller sized, 32 gig, Samsung sd card. so far, nothing has been corrupted. I did also read that transferring data to a 64 gig disk is different than a 32 gig disk. Not sure if it is a speed thing but in any case so 32 gig Samsung card is working.

Posted via the Android Central App

Antonio Brown

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I cannot say I have tried to move an entire file to my sd card, but I have gone through three SD cards in hopes of finding one that will work with my galaxy 5. My Sandisk card did not work well at all. The pictures I took were coming out partially gray and videos would not play at all. After reading some more on these forums, I decided to try a smaller sized, 32 gig, Samsung sd card. so far, nothing has been corrupted. I did also read that transferring data to a 64 gig disk is different than a 32 gig disk. Not sure if it is a speed thing but in any case so 32 gig Samsung card is working.

Posted via the Android Central App
Turns out it was my sd card. The card I had purchased came up as a fake when I tested it with 2 different programs. I returned it and got a new one and everything is working fine now. Thanks for your help.

De Struction

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Im upset right about now cause I had the same problem on my note 4. I transferred the files to my card and then about 2 weeks later they were corrupted. I, in my infinite wisdom, figured that maybe if I take the card out then maybe the problem would get fixed but when I followed the crrect process to remove and re install the card I couldn't even find the folder they were housed in and just like that all the pictures of my two boys being born, and alo of other stuff was GONE. I don't know if theres a fix for it but that was freakin awful. any insight is welcomed.

lisa bonaventura

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Turns out it was my sd card. The card I had purchased came up as a fake when I tested it with 2 different programs. I returned it and got a new one and everything is working fine now. Thanks for your help.

I'm having the same problem on my note 3. The original 32 gig SD card I got, has alllll my stuff on it, and I'm trying every which way to transfer the files to a 64 gig card...and many of the albums are black and gray, I can't figure it out!

cynshd

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why did my files disappear after transferring to sd card on note 3 and how can I get them back?

Hello,

I am having the same problem except that the files are not corrupted they completely disappeared!
What happened was that I was moving several files from my internal memory to my SD memory. I didn't touch my phone except to check on the transfers happening. When it was done I checked my gallery and noticed that all my recent pictures simply disappeared! It was as if the transfer stopped at a certain date. I don't know what and how to recover all my lost pictures since they are not there! Not even as corrupted!
Help :(

Redmoonstar66

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
My husband has a new S5 he is phone and computer illiterate I bought a 16g samsung Evo sd card put it in the phone and transfered his photo's to the card. The phito's have been there for a week and tonight everything is gone. The sd card doesn't show in my files and when I go to storage is says to mount sd card and this will format the card. The same happens when I put it into my S5 and the computer. How do I recover the photos and has my husband inadvertently wiped the card? All help appreciated as I can find the basics on the phone but am defiantly not smart enough to go further. Thanks in advance

tina whiskin

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I have an s5 and I recently moved a bunch of pics from my phone storage to free up space to my 32g sd card. Now a they are all showing as a black pic with a mountain icon with exclamation mark or with a solid grey over them but you can just see the top of each pic. So they are corrupted? Why has this happened and what can I do to recover them?

Kwame A

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm inclined to believe that this problem occurs in phones using Android 5.0 Lollipop. I encountered this problem last week when I replaced my Tecno D9 phablet with a new Tecno Camon C8 running on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop (CPU Model MT6735) and having a 16 GB internal storage. I then slotted in an external 32 GB SanDisk micro SD card. Before then, I had transferred all my personal files including pdf,video, pictures, etc from the external 16 GB SD card from the previous Tecno D9 onto the internal 16 GB storage of the C8 without any problem.
After inserting the 32 GB SD card into the C8, I moved the personal files from the internal storage to the 32 GB external. That is where my problems started. A few of the pictures could be opened whereas the others (pdfs, videos, word, excel etc) refused to open even though their icons and file sizes were all intact. Then, the next time I rebooted the computer, I was amazed to discover that all the newly created folders and the files therein had all disappeared on the external SD card. Because I had backed the folders on the former SD card onto my computer, I formatted the 32 GB external card, populated it with the files again, inserted it into the C8, and BAM!! the same problem again - all the files and folders disappeared. I went to the vendor to change the SD card three days ago, and the problem is still the same - just as you all have been experiencing. This is an experience I had never encountered with my former phone - D9 (Android Kit Kat OS) which I replaced because its internal storage (4GB) was not enough for me.
Noting from the stories from other sources, it appears most of the complaints originate from users of phones running on Lollipop. Somebody has to follow up on this and let us know the cause of this strange phenomenon - is the fault of the SD card? Is it from the stock ROM on the device? Is it the fault of the Lollopop operating system?

Carlos Medina1

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
No it has nothing to do with Android cuz I'm having the same problem on Windows 10(PC). I bought a 256GB microSD and some of the files that I transfer to de mSD get corrupted. The solution I found is delete the corrupted file and transfer it again and keep doing that until it transfer the file and it doesnt get corrupted

Great Party

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
hello,

sorry for my english i'm french guy

yesterday, i make two videos of hold-up whose juste arrived in front of me, i was in my car so i was safe.

After the police arrived, a cop do what i think a good manipulation, he transfer video in internal storage to my external card directly on the Note 3. And I think that I would have done the same thing. but the transfer has not worked, the vidéo disapeared from the repertory camera but not arrived in the folder camera in the external card.

I precise the card is a sandisk ultra plus 64 go class 10.

They have try to get back the video but impossible, so if you can help me we can refind this video.

Now a new folder appaer with two file but they are corrupt. How can i do?

truemask

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with files on my sd with my LG G3 really wish Android would fix this problem with sd cards and missing files. Love Android but this is a big hiccup and having music videos and pictures sometime disappearing is awful. Considering I never had any similar problems with an iPhone they handle video, pictures and mp3 flawlessy never corruption or the far to common Android "this is a unsupported file type" message

Yeah I thought my self it was most likely the software, since samsungs, LG s bunch of others running lollipop have this problem. But I did have this problem on kitkat as well disappearing pictures since I first got a SD CARD . Some rumors are saying android Marshmallow is supposed to have a fix to help SD compatabilitly. Here's hoping .

Last edited by a moderator:

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
There seem to be a lot of counterfeit SD cards out there. Always test new cards before relying upon them.

Never rely upon your phone memory or SD card as your only location for data you care about. Backup backup backup! Turn on Google Photos sync.

Before removing an SD card from a phone, connect using USB or Wifi app like Wifi FTP and make a full copy of everything on the SD card. Sometimes removing an SD card from a phone can be a messy divorce.

VeritasUnlimited

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
So what I've understood guys is that it's quite simple to solve this problem. I think it stems from the fact that Android developers restricted the ability for us to copy files for some reason. You need to turn on your developer options, which is quite simple.

To turn on developer options: go onto your 'about' section and then 'software information' and find your 'build information' and tap that 7 times until you've turned the developer options (please check on google to verify this method, this is how i sorta remember it).

Once you're on developer options, then go and turn on USB debugging. This will allow you to copy files properly.

Now I'm able to copy all my files without hassle or corruption.

bugfinder

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
[SOLVED.] After a long battle, I figured it out.

Power off the phone
Remove the SD card and put it in a card reader and connect it to a PC
Run "Cmd" that will open a command window
Type chkdsk /f drive : For example chkdsk /f E: (Most likely you will see a corruption found)
Add files from your computer. (Drag and drop)
Repeat chkdsk /f drive:
Safely eject card and plug it to your phone. Enjoy.

Regards, JD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci