Wifi Slow on Galaxy S5 - Strange Problem, Please Help

Peter Johansen

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
After screwing with this on and off for a few weeks I finally found a solution that works on my hardware. In fact I registered here just to share this solution. I tried a bunch of things posted in this thread and in others and none worked, until now.

My router: TP-LINK N600

My router has both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. By default it activates both and gives them the same ssid. In the configuration options you can rename each frequency. I renamed my 5ghz band and connected the S5 to the new ssid and it works great.

jacko_seven

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Please someone help me i have the same issue i use hauwie hg521n router with galaxy s5 its so slow and i used to change dns now its not work anymore and tried to disable ipv6 not worked too what can i do

Marlon Moura

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I have same setup: GS5 KitKat, TWC Roadrunner Turbo, and ARRIS modem/router. I think I fixed it by disabling ipv6 on ARRIS modem.
you have to uncheck "Enable DHCP (IPV6)" under DYNAMIC (IPV6) & uncheck "Enable Static IPV6" under STATIC (IPV6) on the WAN Setup tab, and also uncheck "Enable DHCP Server (IPV6)" under LAN SETTINGS (IPV6) on the LAN Setup tab. Make sure to click apply after changing each one, then "restart router" under utilities tab.
Worked like a charm!

That worked perfectly for me! Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cluain

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. I found it is bluetooth causing the problem. If bluetooth is on speeds are very slow. If I turn off bluetooth

Cluain

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Continuation of above. The only way to stop bluetooth is to switch it off and either go into flight mode and put wifi on and it's fine or restart phone. Wifi is then perfect. But once bluetooth is on again the same issue arises and I have to go thru the same process again. Crazy.

slingshot202

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
This just happen to me the last few days. Never had any issues before. I turned off Bluetooth and all was fine.

I recently had to rediscover one of my bluetooth headsets, and may see some correlation to that, but its nothing that wasn't already once configured.

Ill keep digging i guess as i tend to keep BT on so its there when i need it.

RetCMS

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I too have found the same slow download problem on my Xfinity wifi/modem. The speed test results are appropriate-- 56 megs down and 7 megs down once the webpage loads. Getting any webpage to load takes 45 sec. or more. I turn off wifi at home and 4G loads fast. Also on any other wifi away from home. I checked the suggestion about SideSync, but it was not even installed. A frustrating problem for sure.

jdeg

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I was seeing similar issues. Certain apps would take forever to load something.

SOLUTION FOR ME
Disable IPv6 on the router until I can get the correct settings. Apps were trying to use this connection, then falling over to regular IPv4.

junkmale87

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I had exact same problem. Comcast user with galaxy S5. I am not tech savvy, but i fixed the issue. I went to my wifi settings in my router, edited my android device and changed it from DHCP to Reserved IP. All my apps run fine now, before would take minutes to load anything on any of them. Hope you found this helpful. Note: I honestly have no idea what this setting does, its the first thing i decided to change and it fixed all my slow wifi issues with all apps though.

SOLUTION.

Edit phone in routers wifi > Change DHCP to Reserved IP for your phone.

TheYellowAbacus

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
This thread is old, but the issue still seems current. I, too, had the issue for a long time on my Galaxy S5 (Videotron). I have the Linksys WRT1900AC router at home. At first, I thought it was just bad Google software on my phone. Only recently did I start thinking it may have to do with the router. Problems included channel icons and video thumbnails not loading up in the YouTube app, the Google Maps app not being able to show new satellite imagery when zooming in or out or panning (unless it was previously cashed I guess) and the Google Play store being unable to successfully update or install apps. However, everything worked when on mobile data and on a different router at work. All my other devices on my home network work just fine.

Long story short, I tried most of the tricks in this thread that seemed to work for others (putting phone in airplane mode and activating only WiFi, removing the sim card entirely, etc...). Nothing worked. I did not try disabling IPv6.

Anyway, what did work for me in the end was using Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) as my router's Local Network static DNS addresses. It's been an hour or two and so far it seems to be working. I'll post here again if anything new happens.

As of the date of this post, there is an update available for my router. I haven't installed it. I'm reluctant to update router firmware when everything else works on my network at home.

I'm thinking the issues experienced with my apps on my phone may have more to do with the way networking works on newer Android devices than the router itself. I don't really know.

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I started having this problem again and had forgotten about this. I switched my router to a Comcast router and thats when it started again. I thought I would Call their tech support first. They knew nothing about it. I did get them to change the I P from the 10.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 because I read that that will work. That did fix the problem with our phones.
I'm not sure that this change was the cause but the next day my wife's work computer that uses a VPN world not hook up. It showed that the IPV6 was not working.

astrivian

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
Re: [FIXED] Wifi Slow on Galaxy S5 - Strange Problem, Please Help

UPDATE: nope, didn't work for long.

Hi everyone. I just now signed up on Android Central to post a solution I found. (apologies if this was already posted earlier, this is a long thread!)

I was having this same issue and after digging through forums from Comcast, I think I found an easy fix:

I took out special characters in my SSID (password) for my 5Gz wifi network.​

The SSID had an @ in it and after changing it to letters (upper and lower) and numbers only, the slow internet connection on my phone resolved (I will update this post if that changes). I had to "forget" the network on my Samsung S5 and login again with the new SSID. This restored the normal wifi speed for all apps.

Overview:

I would try to load web pages, youtube videos, facebook, LinkedIn, Pokemon Go, and other apps over my home wifi connection and the pages would take a long time to load; sometimes, they never loaded. This had been happening for weeks (ever since Jan 2017 I think) but never realized that it was only happening on my home wifi. If I turned off wifi and let the phone connect to 4G, the internet worked just fine. I am burning through my data plan and suspect this was the reason and not Pokemon Go, which was my original suspect.

Wiped App Cache -- Cleared the cache of all the troubled apps. Problem remained
Cleared the Cache Partition -- Cleared the system cache for the phone itself. Problem remained.
Airplane Mode and Wifi On -- this worked. Turning on airplane mode and then turning WiFi back on solved the problem, but I wouldn't receive calls so this wasn't a realistic fix.
IPv6 -- I am unable to disable this on my Arris modem from Comcast (I think anyway. There isn't an option to disable it that I can find).
Software and Firmware updates -- I checked both the phone and the modem and everything was running the latest update (see below).

To change the SSID on the modem, I typed in 10.0.0.1 in a browser and logged in with the default username and password (it was just "admin" and "password") and when I did so it prompted me to change the password (good idea). From there, changing the SSID was under Connection --> Status. This popped up the "Local IP Network" and the 5Gz and 2.5Ghz networks. Clicking "Edit" on the "Private Wifi Network-..." gave me the option to change the SSID. Typed in the new one, clicked save, and was promptly kicked off wifi (of course). Once I logged in to the modem on my computer using the new password (copy and paste it!!!), all was good. I then "Forgot" the network on the Samsung and logged in using the new SSID. Slow wifi solved.

Device Details:

PHONE
Samsung S5
Android version 6.0.1
Last update was Jan 8, 2017
Wireless carrier is Verizon

HOME NETWORK
Comcast
Modem is an Arris TG1682G
Using the 5Ghz wifi

Last edited:

zams88

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Re: [FIXED] Wifi Slow on Galaxy S5 - Strange Problem, Please Help

UPDATE: nope, didn't work for long.

Hi everyone. I just now signed up on Android Central to post a solution I found. (apologies if this was already posted earlier, this is a long thread!)

I was having this same issue and after digging through forums from Comcast, I think I found an easy fix:

I took out special characters in my SSID (password) for my 5Gz wifi network.​

The SSID had an @ in it and after changing it to letters (upper and lower) and numbers only, the slow internet connection on my phone resolved (I will update this post if that changes). I had to "forget" the network on my Samsung S5 and login again with the new SSID. This restored the normal wifi speed for all apps.

Overview:

I would try to load web pages, youtube videos, facebook, LinkedIn, Pokemon Go, and other apps over my home wifi connection and the pages would take a long time to load; sometimes, they never loaded. This had been happening for weeks (ever since Jan 2017 I think) but never realized that it was only happening on my home wifi. If I turned off wifi and let the phone connect to 4G, the internet worked just fine. I am burning through my data plan and suspect this was the reason and not Pokemon Go, which was my original suspect.

Wiped App Cache -- Cleared the cache of all the troubled apps. Problem remained
Cleared the Cache Partition -- Cleared the system cache for the phone itself. Problem remained.
Airplane Mode and Wifi On -- this worked. Turning on airplane mode and then turning WiFi back on solved the problem, but I wouldn't receive calls so this wasn't a realistic fix.
IPv6 -- I am unable to disable this on my Arris modem from Comcast (I think anyway. There isn't an option to disable it that I can find).
Software and Firmware updates -- I checked both the phone and the modem and everything was running the latest update (see below).

To change the SSID on the modem, I typed in 10.0.0.1 in a browser and logged in with the default username and password (it was just "admin" and "password") and when I did so it prompted me to change the password (good idea). From there, changing the SSID was under Connection --> Status. This popped up the "Local IP Network" and the 5Gz and 2.5Ghz networks. Clicking "Edit" on the "Private Wifi Network-..." gave me the option to change the SSID. Typed in the new one, clicked save, and was promptly kicked off wifi (of course). Once I logged in to the modem on my computer using the new password (copy and paste it!!!), all was good. I then "Forgot" the network on the Samsung and logged in using the new SSID. Slow wifi solved.

Device Details:

PHONE
Samsung S5
Android version 6.0.1
Last update was Jan 8, 2017
Wireless carrier is Verizon

HOME NETWORK
Comcast
Modem is an Arris TG1682G
Using the 5Ghz wifi

I'm having this issue as well.. Every device on my Comcast network including several much older devices work flawlessly.. But the Galaxy s5 works horribly.. anyone have any updates here?

Sissona

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
Hello guys, I was on SM-G900H
I have this issue ( very slow traffic )
my internet was so slow, even without intention to use the internet for instance to transfer using ftp server ( or any wifi file managers) it was slow 50 times maybe more some times my connection was keeps on dropping
what I did to slove the problem
- wipe cache partition (didn't help but this is important and I did it)
- Forget my network
- I connected to a brand new wireless hotspot (fixed)
after my problem fixed I figured out that there is a misunderstanding between my samsung galaxy s5 and the router, so I will reset the factory defults for my router and and will do a reset or whatever until I get it working on my own hotspot

Athenais Dreaming

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
I've had a similar issue with my SG Tab A, yet all other devices using the WiFi work fine. Came here to find a solution- didn't have Bluetooth enabled, but uninstalled sidesync just for the heck of it, since I seldom use it. All the sudden everything is loading ten times faster. I don't know if this is temporary, but if it keeps working, but to the person who mentioned this solution, you are my new hero. Thanky, daymaker!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC