KitKat: Is there NOTHING that this "OS" Didn't screw up???

CKR83

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
The more I use Kitkat, the more I wish I'd stuck with Apple. The list of things this "OS" (and yes, I'm using the quotes on purpose) screwed up is legion, and I've written about them elsewhere. Today I discovered something new.

On my Samsung Tablet (Note 8 -- which used to work until AT&T f'd me over by forcing kitkat onto it and turning it into a slow, bloated POS), I used to be able use an adapter to push and retrieve information to a USB stick. GUESS what I can't do anymore.
Now the thing is recognized as a USB device, but, of course, KitKat says it's incorrectly formatted. Um, no. It isn't. USB sticks generally don't use a *nix OS on them because most people don't have *nix on their laptop and computers.

Please, PLEASE, if the only thing you have to say talks about security, just don't. It's not only not helpful, but completely false.

Anyway, has anyone figured out how to get this to work, or is it yet ANOTHER piece of functionality that the AT&T/Google consortium has stolen from me?

itguy14

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
The more I use Kitkat, the more I wish I'd stuck with Apple.

You and me both. I wanted to like my GS5, really I did. But the experience sucks so bad I wish I would have gotten something different.

From the stuttering over Bluetooth worse than a Touretts patient.
Then the random reboots.
Then the random apps that hog up CPU killing the battery (looking at you Amazon, Android System, etc)
Then there is the bloatware that can't be removed.
There is the duplicate functionality - photos vs gallery, messages vs hangouts, etc.
1/2 the time my photos won't back up at night like they are supposed to
The E-Mail app that, while it supports IMAP will not recognize read marks for up to 24 hours.

Android has lots of cool features but in the end the reliability sucks. It was like this on by Droid X bak in the day and I see things have not changed. It truly is like Windows - lots of flash but no reliability (and I say that as an ex-Windows admin).

Hoping 5.0 will fix this junk. If not, hello iPhone 6+ when it has 700 Mhz for T-Mobile. I'll put this Android Debacle behind me once again. Probably for good.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I don't like about Kitkat is they way they crippled the SD card capabilities. I can't change tags on music files that love on the SD card. I have to move them to the device, edit them and move them back. Same with downloading music. I used to be able to download right to my music folder on my SD card but now I have to download them to the device and then manually move them. Not a deal breaker for me by any means. Just a minor nuisance. I've heard horror stories of Kitkat causing problems with PC connectivity but I haven't experienced any of those sort of problems.

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I know quite a few people on KitKat and besides the ones with Razr Ms, none of them have had any complaints/issues. S5, S3, G3, G2, Moto X (2013), Maxx, ect....

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I don't like about Kitkat is they way they crippled the SD card capabilities.
They didn't cripple them, they made the SD card part of the Linux security system.

I can't change tags on music files that love on the SD card. I have to move them to the device, edit them and move them back.
iTag - Music Tag Editor will edit the mp3 metadata right on the SD card.

Same with downloading music. I used to be able to download right to my music folder on my SD card but now I have to download them to the device and then manually move them.
Some ROMs and/or browsers have the ability to set the download location, some don't.

I've heard horror stories of Kitkat causing problems with PC connectivity but I haven't experienced any of those sort of problems.
It's the wifi problems that are concerning me, particularly Samsung. Dropping the connection, dial-up speeds with the newer routers, etc. And they could have "fixed" the SD card "problem" by defaulting to an extfs on the card. (The only problem is that unless everyone has write rights to a file, only the owner and root can write to it, the KitKat way or the extfs way - which was why it was changed.)

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Whatever, security, blah blah. Bottom line is it is crippled. Jellybean was way better. I tried that tag editor and it doesn't work. It also doesn't have the ability to edit entire album tags. I get the following message.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416611289945.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416611289945.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 38

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been having Bluetooth issues recently. Not too bad but enough to annoy me. I can't wait until the M9 comes out. I'm ready for something else. I like this phone but it's kind of flaky.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I keep reading about folks having trouble with the S5, if it irritates you so much, sell it and go somewhere else.

Mine has been working like clockwork. for the few things I don't like about the OEM way of doing it, there are ways to get around it.

I really get tired of folks saying their iCrap works better. well, it don't, been there, and got rid of it. Way too restrictive in what you are allowed to install, or how you want to use it.

The old original Galaxy S phone still works like a champ..... even with its' limited capabilities due to the technology of its' day.

I just had to resurrect mine to put it into Reserve Duty until a new S5 arrives to replace the broken phone my wife was using. That thing is 4 years old and works just as good today as it ever did. Even better actually because I am now much better with Android now than I was 4 years ago.