how to stop unwanted verizon automatic text msgs in middle of the night

laflaone

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Have a new s5. 4 months ago my 2 yr contract with verizon was up. went to a monthly plan. set up auto pay. I now get an automatic text msg saying I have to pay in a couple of days. The problem is that these msgs come at 3 or 4 in the morning. I can't put my phone on silent, because i have elderly relatives, and might be sent an urgent text day or night.

These intrusive texts wake me up with the notification sound. I have to wake up, turn on the light, put on my glasses, and read the msg. If I don't, every ten minutes the notification sound comes again. how do I stop this? I have called verizon and they say it can't be stopped, which i don't believe. is there a way to stop just texts from verizon?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Set up blocking mode and allow just those on your favorites to go through at night.

Optionally, if it is just the Verizon pay in a few days notice, you can pay your bill say a week early.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

laflaone

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
paying a week early defeats the purpose of auto pay. Also, in addition to them sending the text that a payment is due, they also send a text confirming payment! Also in the middle of the night.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Then you can manually pay bill a few days in advance. Or just set up blocking mode and set up exclusions accordingly

But it is weird that you are getting texts in the middle of the night. Are you in the usa?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

OverLordOfYou

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Simple Solution:

1. Save the number you get the messages from (name it "I dont care" or "I hate these text", ect)
2. Go into your "Contacts"
3. Choose the contact you saved it under
4. Click the top pen or "edit" option
5. Go down to "Add another field"
6. Choose "Message tone" then "OK"
7. Now choose a quiet tone for the messages

If you dont have such a tone you can create one with an app and put it in your "notifications" folder or it'll do it for you

jacsteinberg

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I have been having this problem for over 2 years! I have a Verizon prepaid plan and am also on autopay and when my payment is made, they send me 3 different text messages. One is from a 900 number (which I put in a contact as "vzwaccountalerts" and set it to "no ring", which works for that one), but the other texts come through from my own number. I have tried saving my own number as a contact and setting it to "no ring", but my phone has a built in "name card" that it uses to override my contact, so I CANNOT change the ringtone for my own number! This is stupid! I have contacted customer support several times, and they say they will fix it, but have not. If any other carrier offered service where I needed it, I would have switched carriers long ago.

After being woken up today at about 4 AM again, I will be contacting the local TV station's "call for action" department regarding this matter, as I feel I am out of options