No "Mobile Data" Notification Icon on ATT?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Teaching my 75 year old momma how to use her new S5 (what was I thinking? LOL). I was telling her how she'd want to make sure she was using her wifi signal at home. My wifi takes over when I'm at home but ts said to be positive I wasn't drifting over to mobile data (weak wifi signal for example) turn OFF mobile data with notification icon thingy (I'm with Verizon). Mom doesn't have a "Mobile Data" icon or anything like it (that I could find). Her 4G LTE symbol disappears when she's home. Wifi symbol disappears when she leaves the house. But what happens if the wifi signal drops or is turned off and she's not aware of it? The 4G will kick in. Is there no easy/convenient way to switch off 4G so it can't pick up until she activates it again?

And what a mess it was to set up her voice mail! So glad I'm with Verizon. We thought they had sold her a used phone. In setting up voice mail, it showed we were calling a number 70 miles away and asked us to verify we wanted to "change" our language of choice. So naturally we both thought someone (that didn't speak English) and lived in Grand Prairie, Tx had the phone previous to her :eek: But according to ts, her voice mail # isn't the same as her cell phone number and the number dialed can be miles away on their servers (or something like that). But after setting it up, she doesn't have to deal with any of that. She's using their Visual Voicemail.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You can also dial your own number to get voicemail. It is easier to press the voicemail button on the dialer.

You can put the usage meter icon on her home screen and it has battery, data and apps in here.

Usually there are toggle button apps in the play store that you can get a data button to turn data on and off.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Most phones respond to just using a Long Press on the digit #1 key and that brings up Voice Mail.

I have never had a phone that did not support that in my life.
I always edit the carrier settings for the phone number, inserting 2 or 3 pauses and then the 4 digit pincode for the voicemail password. That way I never have to enter the password for voicemail.

You "should" be able to edit the way the icons are displayed at the top of the screen when you pull down the notification menu.
I rearranged mine so that what I want is up there, not the why it came out of the box.

If you are willing to learn MacroDroid, it has preset macros that can be used to help you out.

I have MacroDroid set up on mine so that when I am home, it recognizes that by noticing the WiFi and it will turn off the DATA radio. That will totally preclude data being used when at home.

MD has so many way to use it, it is only limited by your imagination.
ie, you could, and I did for a while, set up a Trigger that if you shake the phone MD will turn data OFF.
I did it as a lark just to see it work and it does work. Maybe for your mom, just shaking the phone and turning off DATA would be good enough? She would not even have to look at the screen.

* MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

5picker

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
... Is there no easy/convenient way to switch off 4G so it can't pick up until she activates it again?

As was mentioned, S5's on ATT do not have a designated data toggle button.

But... it is fairly easy to turn data on and off and really only requires two more button pushes than if you had a specific toggle.

Pull down notification tray>tap the settings gear icon>tap Data usage> uncheck Mobile Data.

If you so desire, you could eliminate the first step by putting the 'settings gear' icon on her home screen.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This usage meter placed on the desktop will open up to 3 tabs, battery, apps and data. The checkbox is right there for data..

Attachments

• 1417709599511.jpg
    1417709599511.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 11