Email strangeness

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday, while retreiving email, one account popped up asking for the password. Put in the one that the phone has used since I got it in May and all seemed fine.

Today I am getting sound notifications that a mail arrived along with the icon. Looking at email there are no new ones. Check on the iPad and there are actually no new emails.

Ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had the first happen on occasion for years. (The person who designs next computer that never has a bug doesn't even have grandparents yet.)

The second one? It could be that some filter (at the server, in your program) that deletes the email on arrival (a spam filter) was working slower than usual and you got the notification before the email was deleted.

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I found the problem but it does not make sense. After I got a phantom notification I opened the notification bar. The problem email acct was again saying it could not log on. So I checked the settings for the account. The incoming server was set to use incoming.verizon.net on port 5xx. I changed it to pop.verizon.net on 995 and it seems to be cured.

I have been getting mail on the 'bad' settings since May.