Second S5 for the wife, and she gets 6GB?

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
We finally replaced my wife's aging Droid 2 with an S5 today, and to my amazement she got a 6GB plan. This is rather silly, since her monthly average for the past two years is 0.4GB. Why does she get the 6GB plan and I'm stuck with 2?

I wonder if I can successfully lobby Verizon to split that 6GB between the two phones and have 4GB each.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes the share plan isn't good, depending on the carrier. With AT&T we now have to pay full price for a device, next plan which is monthly or the discount price, 2 year contract plus $25 a month for 2 years. I wish we had never switched to a share plan.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
We finally replaced my wife's aging Droid 2 with an S5 today, and to my amazement she got a 6GB plan. This is rather silly, since her monthly average for the past two years is 0.4GB. Why does she get the 6GB plan and I'm stuck with 2?

I wonder if I can successfully lobby Verizon to split that 6GB between the two phones and have 4GB each.

You better talk to Verizon support, I was upside down that way and it is far cheaper to use the Share Plan than to have to separate accounts at full tilt per each.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes the share plan isn't good, depending on the carrier. With AT&T we now have to pay full price for a device, next plan which is monthly or the discount price, 2 year contract plus $25 a month for 2 years. I wish we had never switched to a share plan.

With verizon, it's definitely better to share unless someone still has unlimited and wants to keep that.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
You better talk to Verizon support, I was upside down that way and it is far cheaper to use the Share Plan than to have to separate accounts at full tilt per each.

Last time I got a price for a shared plan it was way more than what we have now. I might have to talk to them again.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just be sure an ask the questions about upgrading devices and what it costs. We didn't ask that and they didn't tell us and now we are stuck with this plan and can't go back.

$25 a month for 2 years, is $600 per phone.

Of course it seems since t-mobile went with pay full price for the phone and no discount price with a 2 year extension, everyone is now doing that.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
But you also have to pay 36 dollar activation fee and also whatever the discounted cost of the phone is which ends up costing way more then the next.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
AT&T always credits us with activation fees and they are $40.

The thing is now, even with a contract, you pay $600 plus the phone discount price. With next, you pay about the same price. You basically just do not ever get the discount price. If the S5 is $199.99, you will never pay that because with the share plan, you will pay more, each way.. $25 per smart phone or the next plan.

There is one way so far I have gotten away with not doing it. My parents are on my plan and they have basic phones. I have done cross upgrades and use their phones and extend their contracts and then I don't have to pay $25 a month on any line. If we have to replace their phones out of contract, it is cheap.

It is like the S5 I bought on Thanksgiving. BestBuy had them for $1 with a two year contract. I upgraded my mom's line and cross activated it to mine. So basically, my line has a "paid for" phone, no extra charge and she doesn't use a smart phone, so her line stays $15 and she owns her phone. It is something to keep in mind. Buy a cheap junk basic phone, out it on the plan and do a cross upgrade on that line. It isn't a smart phone so it never gets the $25 extra charge a month, just $15. If you upgrade every two years, it is cheaper than next. You pay $15 a month instead of $40 (total) and you get the discount price on the phone.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I also played that "upgrade the flip phone" bit using their eligibility to get me a new phone.
Finally though, all of my lines were used up, I dropped off 3 lines, now I just have the wife's mine, and our daughter's phone.

all of us now have smartphones, so, the Share Plan was the best I could do.

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
The $30 for 6gb is a tier of the max plan, I believe. I got it when I moved from unlimited in September. I think that it's an offer extended to unlimited data customers. Though my wife lost her unlimited 2 years ago, prior to the max offer.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Talked to Verizon tech support and the agent is going to try to bump me to the same 6GB plan my wife has. I sort of think it won't happen, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463