S5 Card Reading Issues - Something Different!

Andrew Heaston

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks,

I know there are SD read questions all over the forum, this one is a little different.
I recently purchased a 16gb PNY Micro SD card, sold and shipped from amazon. Upon inserting the card in my S5, it tells me it is blank or has an unsupported filesystem. Attempts to format result in the phone telling me that I am good to unmount the card. Trying to mount results in the same loop.

So, I tested the card in the laptop and it works fine. Can store mountains of stuff on it. Reformatted both NTFS and fat32 and each time tried reinserting in S5, no luck. Next I moved it to my old phones lying around the house. The Samsung Brightside and the LG G3 both powered it right up, formatted, stored, saved, and played nice. Tried formatting it using the phones and reinserting in S5. No luck.

Finally, I took an old 4gb card from one of those 2 phones, formatted and full of files, and moved it to S5. S5 opened it right up, started reading and saving no problem. The 16gb when formatted and with files from another phone still results in the same error. Attempting to format the card using the S5 does nothing (all of the filesystem from the other phones is completely intact).

So, is there some compatibility issue with this card and phone? The other two, MUCH older phones have no problem interacting with it.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

kaicho

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Your 16GB works on older devices but not on the new S5..usually have problems using older devices.

Is that new card a micro SDXC?

Andrew Heaston

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I was able to test the card in another S5 and it reads just fine. But the 8gb that was in the second S5 reads and write no problem in the initial s5. So it's an issue localized to this card / phone combination. I have never had an issue like this before...

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci