Names With Apostrophes Duplicated

d0cious

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 with Verizon as my provider. I haven't modified my phone in any way whatsoever, I'm using the Samsung keyboard, and I'm using the most recent operating system that's out.

There was another thread that described the same issue, but it looks like they didn't find a solution, but I can't post the link as I haven't made 10 posts yet.

For example, when I type something like, "Shane's" it autocorrects to, "Shane'Shane's". The same goes for just about any name. This is extremely annoying when I have to backspace any time I type someone's name.

Thanks a ton in advance!

P.S. I'm aware that there are other keyboards out there, but, after using a ton of other keyboards like Swiftkey and Swype, I prefer the Samsung keyboard, except for this one annoying quirk. Also, I apologize if making this thread is against the rules since there already is one about this issue. I just wasn't sure if digging up an old thread or making a new one was the best idea. If this thread needs to be deleted or merged, please feel free.

Mike Polizzi

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Try shutting off auto correct if this works then you can go into app settings for keyboard and reset to default settings. Once done auto correct should work proper and not duplicate.

d0cious

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it.

I've reset my keyboard many, many times, to no avail. I just followed your instructions, and it worked for one name. Then I tried another (Shane, which I used in my example), and it acted up and typed "Shane'Shane's" again. I'm starting to think this is just some sort of bug that can't be fixed. But, if you can think of anything else, please let me know!

EDIT: It's probably worth noting that it does this even when I've typed it exactly how I want and I then tap the check mark where the predictive text shows its suggestions. The check mark usually means it'll leave the word alone and enter it how it's typed at the moment, but it changes it on me. So, when I type, "Shane's" it has a checkmark and some other suggestions. When I tap the check mark, it still corrects to, "Shane'Shane's".

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
instead of using quotes, type the name in all caps.
works fine that way. AND I use the Check Mark to force it to leave it exactly the way I want it.

I use SwiftKey, don't like the TouchWiz kybd.

d0cious

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I don't use quotes, I use an apostrophe. Even still, I've tried typing the name in all capitals, and it still does it. Example: SHANE'S turns into SHANE'SHANE'S.

I used to use SwiftKey, but I've found that sometimes I'd type words that it didn't understand, and it'd sometimes not even let me type the word I wanted. It would force me to use one of their suggestions. I didn't like that.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I used to use SwiftKey, but I've found that sometimes I'd type words that it didn't understand, and it'd sometimes not even let me type the word I wanted. It would force me to use one of their suggestions. I didn't like that.

That situation is exactly why SwiftKey has the CheckMark available. It forces it to take the word exactly like you typed it.
I do it many times a day.

I am enclosing some screenshots to show that it does indeed work, and even predicted that Shane would most likely be spelled Shane's.

Attachments

• Shane prediction.jpg
    Shane prediction.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Shane's msg spelled out.jpg
    Shane's msg spelled out.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Shane text msgs.jpg
    Shane text msgs.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 5

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I just changed the theme on it.
look at the screenshot.

Attachments

• SwiftKey keyboard & Swipe.jpg
    SwiftKey keyboard & Swipe.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 3

d0cious

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I just changed the theme on it.
look at the screenshot.

Weird. Mine looks a bit different. Also, there's no Samsung Keyboard theme available on mine, although that's beside the point.

Edit: It says in your screenshot that you have the Samsung keyboard chosen as your default after all. Am I missing something? Also, my SwiftKey doesn't have the check mark available. Are you sure you weren't using the Samsung keyboard?

Attachments

• 1419265020076.jpg
    1419265020076.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: