Does my phone have a virus??

Ortiz23

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I was doing some browsing the other day using Internet Explorer on my Galaxy S4. All of a sudden a blue screen appeared reading, " A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your Device.
The problem seem to be cause by the following file:: mssmbios.sys and pci.sys."

It also has a pop up message that says " Confirm Navigation" , and asks me if i want to stay on the page or leave the page. No matter what option i press, the pop up doesn't go away and it hasn't changed since.

Any idea what caused it and how I can fix it? Any information is appreciated!

Thankss!

dnangel_95

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Don't worry, it's not your phone. It's just that page you were on has something in it that tried (and still trying?) to trick you to download something. Same thing happened to my mom's phone. She had the same reaction as you when she first experienced it. Don't fall for the trick. Just leave that page. Clear your cache and no matter what happens, don't click or download anything. Besides I'm not sure if whatever that website/page is trying to make you download would work in an android environment since it was saying something about Windows. mssmbios.sys and pci.sys are windows files.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I was doing some browsing the other day using Internet Explorer on my Galaxy S4.
Nope. Internet Explorer is a Microsoft product that runs only on Windows. Maybe you were using an app named Internet? That's Samsung's default web browser (and it's not very good).

All of a sudden a blue screen appeared reading, " A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your Device.
The problem seem to be cause by the following file:: mssmbios.sys and pci.sys."
On an Android phone? That's like telling a fish that it has a disease in its trunk and you're shutting off its air supply. Android has no mssbios.sys or pci.sys files and no Windows to shut down.

Any idea what caused it and how I can fix it? Any information is appreciated!
It could be virus, but it's probably just malware. (A virus propagates itself to other computers, malware is just something you don't want on your computer.) Try Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Ortiz23

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I can't erase the cache. I am unable to go to the internet settings because the pop wont allow me. Any idea if I can do it another way? Thanks for your help!

dnangel_95

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I can't erase the cache. I am unable to go to the internet settings because the pop wont allow me. Any idea if I can do it another way? Thanks for your help!

how about going to the phone settings, application manager, ALL, then search for that internet browser. then do clear cache, clear data. even force stop it. that should work

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If your Windows PC is still up and running, and if you can see the task bar at the bottom of the screen, do a Right Click on the task bar.

Select Task manager, in the left pane you will see it named Applications.
First click on the Name Applications so that the files are listed in Alphabetical order.

Click on any and all that you see there and then click on End Task.

If that restores your pc to normal, say thank you and move on.

if that does not get rid of the blue window, open the next pane titled "processes".
First click on the Name Processes so that the files are listed in Alphabetical order.
look for "iexplore.exe" and Right click on it and then "End process tree".

that should take care of the Internet Explorer window that won't go away.

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Go to application manager clear cache force app to stop running turn off the app restart your phone turn the app back on.... good as new

Posted via the Android Central App