My 1st Verizon "Auto Update"

BBRfuG

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Good Morning all. Hope you holidays are going well, and that you all have a very happy and prosperous new year.

This morning, I woke up to see a white popup on my Verizon GS5... "Software Update ready to install..." for the 1st time (since I got the GS5). But it doesn't tell me what it's updating (i.e. the details). And it doesn't give me a chance to cancel the update. If I back out of it, it simply pops back up after 1-2 minutes. It doesn't let me do anything with the phone, otherwise. If I say,. "Install later," it asks for time. So, just a few questions, please...

1) First, I don't install *any* updates unless I know specifically what's being updated. Is there an URL I can go to for specific details on what's being updated before I do it?

2) Is there a favorite "back up" tool I can use to back up the entire phone (including current apps and data) onto a PC desktop/laptop before I do this update? Something that will let me restore if the update goes wrong... No, I don't want to back up to Google/The Cloud! Just to my desktop.

3) To disable these updates, Supposedly, I have to use their "Software Upgrade Assistant," but I gather that has to be installed, at least initially. If I try to install it, will it do this upgrade before doing so? I'm not saying I don't want upgrades. I just want to be in control of when they happen, and I don't want my phone disabled or semi-disabled in the process.

4) I browsed a thread here entitled "Sept. Updates..." I assume this is the "Dec. Updates." Do these happen every quarter?

Thanks all. Enjoy the remainder of your holidays.

Regards,

BB

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Good Morning all. Hope you holidays are going well, and that you all have a very happy and prosperous new year.

This morning, I woke up to see a white popup on my Verizon GS5... "Software Update ready to install..." for the 1st time (since I got the GS5). But it doesn't tell me what it's updating (i.e. the details). And it doesn't give me a chance to cancel the update. If I back out of it, it simply pops back up after 1-2 minutes. It doesn't let me do anything with the phone, otherwise. If I say,. "Install later," it asks for time. So, just a few questions, please...

1) First, I don't install *any* updates unless I know specifically what's being updated. Is there an URL I can go to for specific details on what's being updated before I do it?

2) Is there a favorite "back up" tool I can use to back up the entire phone (including current apps and data) onto a PC desktop/laptop before I do this update? Something that will let me restore if the update goes wrong... No, I don't want to back up to Google/The Cloud! Just to my desktop.

3) To disable these updates, Supposedly, I have to use their "Software Upgrade Assistant," but I gather that has to be installed, at least initially. If I try to install it, will it do this upgrade before doing so? I'm not saying I don't want upgrades. I just want to be in control of when they happen, and I don't want my phone disabled or semi-disabled in the process.

4) I browsed a thread here entitled "Sept. Updates..." I assume this is the "Dec. Updates." Do these happen every quarter?

Thanks all. Enjoy the remainder of your holidays.

Regards,

BB
This is the latest update for the GS5 on Verizon: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...enefits-galaxy-s5-12-16-14.pdf&token=4EthEX_n
- Fixed VPN Connectivity Issue
- Fixed an issue where some users saw a memory card error "blank sd card or unsupported files" after the last software update
- Replaced Isis mobile wallet with softcard.

In terms of backup utilities, you can use Kies (provided by Samsung here: Kies). It'll backup and save data locally to your computer. As for the device, make sure to go into system settings > accounts > google. Sync everything that is already stored with Google (contacts, email, etc).

Another benefit of using Kies (referenced above) is that you can also manually update, rather than downloading and installing. Let us know if you have any other questions.

BBRfuG

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
This is the latest update for the GS5 on Verizon: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...enefits-galaxy-s5-12-16-14.pdf&token=QRUAFGBa
- Fixed VPN Connectivity Issue
- Fixed an issue where some users saw a memory card error "blank sd card or unsupported files" after the last software update
- Replaced Isis mobile wallet with softcard.

In terms of backup utilities, you can use Kies (provided by Samsung here: Kies). It'll backup and save data locally to your computer. As for the device, make sure to go into system settings > accounts > google. Sync everything that is already stored with Google (contacts, email, etc).

Another benefit of using Kies (referenced above) is that you can also manually update, rather than downloading and installing. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks much. As it turns out, I was able to Google the above and completed the update. I only wanted to know what specifically was being updated.

I'll search for the right backup software. I'd prefer an app that doesn't save or sync to any cloud storage. Only locally to my desktop.

Thanks.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Kies will backup all of the OS and apps and contacts and media.

it will NOT backup the data part of any of the apps nor will it restore the homescreens.

i use kies 3.0, I also use Super Backup because it will all me to make backups to the SD card, and to my email as well as other methods.

IF having your homescreens restored to the exact way they are now, I suggest that you use NOVA launcher and then from nova setup menu, choose Backup and have Nova email your homescreens to you.

now you can just about completely do a Factory Reset and put your phone back exactly the way it was before the reset. Almost, about 98%. You will loose a few bits of data here and there, but not enough to make me upset.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks much. As it turns out, I was able to Google the above and completed the update. I only wanted to know what specifically was being updated.

I'll search for the right backup software. I'd prefer an app that doesn't save or sync to any cloud storage. Only locally to my desktop.

Thanks.
Kies is a desktop client that allows you to save to your desktop. It's a product provided by Samsung, and I think you'll like it. If you want a third-party solution, Helium - Google Play Store is a good solution. It requires a desktop client if you are not rooted, but will do just want you want and then some.

Let us know how things go, and if the update is working out OK for you.

BBRfuG

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Kies is a desktop client that allows you to save to your desktop. It's a product provided by Samsung, and I think you'll like it. If you want a third-party solution, Helium - Google Play Store is a good solution. It requires a desktop client if you are not rooted, but will do just want you want and then some.

Let us know how things go, and if the update is working out OK for you.

I've also seen a product caleld "Holo Backup." What's your take on that one?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol