Is it normal for the fingerprint scanner to have a problem recognizing my fingerprint (Galaxy S5)?

mcrunner1

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Fingerprint scanner problem with Galaxy S5

I just got out of the shower and am home alone. I went to check my phone to see if there were any messages and it said I had tried unsuccessfully 5 times to scan my fingerprint and I had to wait 30 second to try again. It did ask for alternate log in. I restarted the phone. It seems to be working okay, but that was really weird. Has anyone else experienced that? Samsung Galaxy S5.

ackthbbft

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint scanner problem with Galaxy S5

I am having tons of trouble with my fingerprint scanner. It just does not work the way it used to. When I first got it, it was very reliable, now I'm lucky for it to successfully recognize my print. I prefer the fingerprint scanner for when I need to access something in my car mount without having to deal with a complex password or pattern, and I don't trust PINs to be secure enough.

I'm just wondering if we are starting to see an issue with Samsung's fingerprint implementation. It seems to me like it simply "wears out" after some time, rendering the feature useless.

StuLip

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

I find that every few months, I reregister the finger print to solve the problem. Works well for a few months before problem return.

Posted via the Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I just got out of the shower and am home alone. I went to check my phone to see if there were any messages and it said I had tried unsuccessfully 5 times to scan my fingerprint and I had to wait 30 second to try again. It did ask for alternate log in. I restarted the phone. It seems to be working okay, but that was really weird. Has anyone else experienced that? Samsung Galaxy S5.

Oh yes. Sometimes the phone won't recognize a finger at all that I've registered. Some have suggested registering the same finger in all 3 "slots" for greater accuracy. That may indeed help as long as that finger is always an option (is never cut, broken, bandaged, etc.) It's really too bad Samsung couldn't use a solution more in line with Apple's, which generally works rather well and is rather reliable.

Sammy will get it together sooner or later.

from the IV✒

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

My fingerprint scanner has stopped working all together. It keeps giving me a message about rebooting my phone, but it makes no difference. I've read elsewhere that other people are having the same problem, is there a fix for this?

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

Well solved That problem by returning the phone, except they no longer cary the Samsung S5 so I've gone for a Sony Expiria Z3 which is a great phone and can do all sorts of things if you think about it as a powerhouse that needs to have tools added to it, which is actually a great way to do things :)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

The answer is blindingly obvious in this case... you changed your fingerprints in the shower!

Why do my hands wrinkle so quickly when wet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhoLNUTS8I

Last edited:

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

The only issue that I have ever had with my fingerprint scanner was getting a good scan to begin with. NOTHING to do with the phone, but rather the case that I have on it. The bottom rubber is quite close to the scanner so it's hard for me to get a good "drag" across it.