Testimonials to Asurion Insurance Galaxy s5 refurbished replacement quality?

Cody Weaver

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I recently dropped my s5 while washing dishes and the back popped off, and the internals got wet. The phone was still working perfectly other than the screen being extremely dim. I immediately shut it off and took it in to a tech who says it'll most likely cost 250 to fix my phone. I have the Asurion insurance, but I've only heard nightmare stories about their refurbished phones. Do I pay the 100 deducible to get one of their phones or spend another 150 to fix mine? Thanks

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If going through asurion is cheaper I would go with them. I have only had a problem with them with a refurbished phone not acting right once and they ended up just upgrading me to a newer device rather than giving me another refurbished phone of the same type. No other problems before or after.

Posted via the Android Central App

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi Cody,
Depending on availability we do use both new and certified-like-new devices. Rest assured, all of our replacement do come with a 1 year limited warranty. If you should experience any warranty failure during that time period we will replace the phone at no additional cost. Please let us know if you have any other questions. We'd be happy to help!

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if Square Trade replaces phones with new or refurbished/"like new" phones? I've got my GN/2014 insured with them and considering switching to them for my phone.

Cody Weaver

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi Cody,
Depending on availability we do use both new and certified-like-new devices. Rest assured, all of our replacement do come with a 1 year limited warranty. If you should experience any warranty failure during that time period we will replace the phone at no additional cost. Please let us know if you have any other questions. We'd be happy to help!
All I've ever seen is people complaining; I searched and couldn't find any kind words for the refurbished phones. Nice to know since my phone is on back order that I have a chance for a new phone. Have to wait a week for it but it was my fault it broke so I have no complaints there. Hoping to write you guys a nice customer review, thanks for the assurance!

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line is the insurance is a big rip off - that's why they sell it. If you drop your phone, you can always buy another one on ebay for $200 or so... and you can even sell your broken one for $100 in most cases (on ebay)... so by the time you pay for the insurance, and the deductable, you usually lose... and if you never break your phone, you always lose by buying insurance...

The one time in ten yrs my wife dropped he phone and broke the screen (galaxy S3) she only had 3 months left until the upgrade... so she just used one of my kids older phones for 3 months (free since it was just sitting around), then sold her damaged phone for $85 on ebay (cause people buy them and fix them)... then in 3 months she just got an S5 for $99...

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Please keep us updated and let us know when your replacement arrives. If there is anything we can do to assist, please let us know. Thanks!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I am another in the camp that refuses to buy any phone "protection plan"

the previous poster explained it very well....

I always keep old phones, never, ever, get rid of one.

Just last week, our niece's estranged husband (donny brook there) decided to make life difficult, he shut off their phones. She is on 24/7 callouts and has to answer a call for work within 10 minutes.

I will handle him later, but for her, I reactivated my old Galaxy S and it is working just fine for her. Plus that new phone number for her is now just a "month-to-month" contract. the only downside was the extra $35 bucks for a new account activation...

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line is the insurance is a big rip off - that's why they sell it. If you drop your phone, you can always buy another one on ebay for $200 or so... and you can even sell your broken one for $100 in most cases (on ebay)... so by the time you pay for the insurance, and the deductable, you usually lose... and if you never break your phone, you always lose by buying insurance...

The one time in ten yrs my wife dropped he phone and broke the screen (galaxy S3) she only had 3 months left until the upgrade... so she just used one of my kids older phones for 3 months (free since it was just sitting around), then sold her damaged phone for $85 on ebay (cause people buy them and fix them)... then in 3 months she just got an S5 for $99...
Good luck finding an S5 on eBay for $200.00.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Cody,
Fwiw I received my first ever Asurion refurbished device last week. It is infinitely better than the typical Verizon refurbished certified like new device. But they still damaged the amoled panel when they (I'm guessing) replaced just the glass panel...or possibly the panel is just burned in. The panel is therefore blotchy on grey backgrounds, and it should have been replaced before the device was approved to be shipped out.

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I got a replacement s5 through asurion for verizon and I've had a positive experience
My phone was stolen in late January and Asurion mailed me a phone within 24 hours. The phone looked new though I don't know of it was new or like new.

The only issue I'd say I've had (unsure if it was there when I got the phone) is that I notice some weird thick very transparent line towards the top of the screen when I'm scrolling up and down. There might even be two or those lines on my screen, one towards the top and one a bit below. This issue hasn't been that huge of a deal as my screen still we works and I tested it with some solid colors for any burn in and didn't find any.

I do have some marks on the screen left by a part of the wallet case I have, though I'm unsure if that is where the lines are coming from.

Overall the replacement works great. It came with 4.4.4 installed and my battery life has been better than the s5 I previously had with 4.4.2 installed.

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Fwiw I received my first ever Asurion refurbished device last week. It is infinitely better than the typical Verizon refurbished certified like new device. But they still damaged the amoled panel when they (I'm guessing) replaced just the glass panel...or possibly the panel is just burned in. The panel is therefore blotchy on grey backgrounds, and it should have been replaced before the device was approved to be shipped out.

We'd be happy to look into this for you. Please email us at socialmediateam@asurion.com with your name, claim number, mobile number, and if different the best number to reach you. Thanks!